Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I just got my retrospective 20 today, I'm so excited to actually get home and pack stuff in it. It's the first camera bag I've ever bought that wasn't just going to the store and grabbing a cheap quick solution.

I love the look, and it feels really rugged without being overly heavy. Lots of space and lots of pockets for everything.

But drat was it hard finding one after I decided it's what I wanted though. I ended up special ordering it through a local store and waiting for a couple weeks. I even checked thinktank's site every couple days and never saw them in stock.

edit: It was probably the first day in months I didn't bring my camera with me. I had a few meetings and didn't want to carry it to them or leave it at my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I've been using my Thinktank Retrospective 20 for about a week now and I have to say this thing is fantastic. It's perfect for someone with a mid-size kit (4-5 lenses, flash, filters, other misc things).

Everything is really well thought out. Anything that has a velcro cover has a spot to put it so it doesn't have to be undone every time you need something (even inside pockets that have velcro covers have a spot in the pocket to stick the strap). The shoulder strap has a very nice amount of padding and grippy strips on it.

The material is really rugged, and all the straps feel solid (the joining points are all metal too, no plastic). Supposedly all the zippers are some fantastic poo poo that doesn't break or come loose, but I haven't used them long enough to attest to that.

It's flexible enough to take a lot of stuff or just a small amount of stuff and still look nice, which is great if you want a lighter bag for a day.

Thanks for the previous reviews people posted of it, I'm really happy with it. If anyone was thinking of getting a new shoulder bag you should definitely check it out.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

HPL posted:

Can you post photos comparing it to other bags?

I don't have any other bags at the moment, I gave away my cheaper one to a friend that is just starting. I could go over to the camera store if you are just wanting a size comparison.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

geeves posted:

^^^^ My Lowepro is like that and it's nice, but the bag overall is too bulky for everyday use. Only run into problems if I want to switch lenses quickly. Which leads me to ask:

What's a decent shoulder bag for walking around Europe without broadcasting that "I have a lot of money invested in the contents of my bag"? Perhaps something that can also carry a 13in MacBook?

I love my Thinktank Retrospective 20 and its very low-key in appearance. You could probably get the 10 (a little cheaper and smaller) and it would be perfect.

Not positive how well the 10 would fit a macbook though, if you have somewhere you can look at it might help.

subx fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 25, 2010

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Fists Up posted:

In Europe they are just gonna take a bag regardless of whats in it if you have it lying around. Its not like they walk around with the intention of getting cameras. They just look for people who look like they are easy targets or who look clueless.

Well yea, no one is saying that being a low-key type bag is going to make it theft-proof. But it's still nice to not be announcing "REALLY EXPENSIVE poo poo HERE" everywhere you go.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

It's what I've heard, it must be true!

Re: NG bags, my understanding was that those are bags from other makers that they slap a logo and a price hike on.

They might be made by other companies, but I think they are unique designs. Overpriced though, yes.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

HPL posted:

Can you show how a camera with a 70-200 mounted fits in the Retrospective 10? I'm torn between the 10 and the 20 right now and lack of local merchandise to handle isn't helping.

I went with the 20 because I have random poo poo I throw in my bag all the time (laptop chargers, other cameras, stuff for the wife, whatever), and it gives quite a bit more space.

For just a 70-200 though, I think they are both the same height, designed so a mounted 70-200 fits. It's really nice and fast to pull the camera out. And at least with the 20, access to my other lenses is really easy.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

A5H posted:

I need a bag to hold:

7D,
70-200 F2.8L IS,
Tamron 17-50,
Sigma 8-16,
Nifty 50,
CF cars/Filters/batteries.

(Plus room for a flash + grip when I upgrade)

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to be able to put the camera in the bag when on the 70-200 if that's possible?

That's almost exactly what I put in my retrospective 20 (with 70-200 attached) and it fits great.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

A5H posted:

drat it's a shame it's around £130 :(
If it was like £80 I'd be all over it.

That Kata would do it, but I can't appreciate how it looks so will keep a look out for something else.

Ah, well I haven't seen any used yet, but maybe that will be an option for that price range. I decided I wanted a nice looking bag that was comfortable and well built, and its been fantastic. If you can stretch your budget you should look at one in a local shop. While somewhat expensive, I think they are really great value compared to other bags that are "stylish" and functional.

I'm with others in that no bag will prevent theft, but a nice conspicuous bag still looks more professional to me.

subx fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 26, 2011

subx
Jan 12, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ew. I've seen some that kind of look like guitar straps, one that was like a dookie gold rope but with little bits on the end to attach to a camera. I saw one once that had kind of a rastafarian-style print on it.

Is there anything to stop you from actually using a guitar strap?

\/ \/ \/ I typed less!

subx fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 8, 2011

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Some people asked about a nice bag that holds a 70-200 and I recommended the Think Tank Retrospective 20, but I was too lazy to take a few pics, but now I have!

Fairly quick job obviously, but gives a decent idea:

Outside:

Inside:

(crappy phone pic of 70-200 attached to camera)

Pros: All kinds of stuff
- I love the way it looks. You don't feel goofy carrying it into nice places
- It's really well built, there's no crappy parts that feel like a weak point that a lot of bags have
- Every pouch has velcro if you need to put something in them that could fall out (literally every pouch/pocket)
- Every said pouch also has some sort of silencer or way to not use said velcro
- The strap is really nice, it's heavily padded and has grips
- Expands as you add gear, so it looks nice either lightly or heavily loaded
- Has a couple places for a netbook, iPad or something around that size
- Holds a ton of poo poo, I can fit 2 flashes, a 90mm macro, 35mm 1.8, 18-105 kit lens, and my 70-200 with camera attached with plenty of room to spare. I don't have a grip on the camera, but it would not have any problem adding that or a pro-camera + grip

Cons:
- Not really made to hold a full size laptop, netbook is about as much as you will be able to get in there
- No tripod holder built in. You can easily put a monopod under the flap and it holds fine, or do what I did and use a carabiner to give you something to attach things too (wouldn't work so well with a large tripod since it would be bouncing around)
- The velcro when not silenced is really loud (good thing in that it holds everything in though)

That's about the only negatives I've had with it so far, but I knew all of them when I bought it since I played with the Retrospective 10 before I ordered the 20.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

azathosk posted:

Would a few books fit in it? I'm considering getting one, but it should hold a few books (as I would be using it at the university) and a 50D with accessories.

Like textbook size books? It would hold one or two if you remove one of the inserts, depending on how thick they are. I know when I was in college my some of my books barely fit in a full size backpack, so you'd have to be more specific.

It holds paperback size books just fine in the front section as I put them in there all the time.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Ferris Bueller posted:

I have a Retrospective 30, and the way I have it configured you could get some textbooks in there but not anything bigger then say a thick 6X9hard cover. If I took out the flash and 10-22 I could move the camera further over and you defiantly get bigger books in there.

Yea, that's a good point, the 30 is wider so might be a bit more effective for textbooks.

You definitely need to go to a shop or something and try them out. I would say that for any bag, especially if you are using it for more than the normal camera+lens+flash.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Face of Boe posted:

I'm sure there has been one posted before, but I don't know if I want to go through all of the pages. I'm looking for a new camera bag. I want a messenger type bag big enough to hold a Canon 5d, 50mm 1.8 lens, 24-70mm 2.8 lens, flash, couple memory cards, cell phone and maybe a wallet as well. I would love it if the bag was semi-padded with at least a couple pockets or separations for the lenses and flash. Any suggestions?

*edit* something that doesn't scream camera bag either would be great. In the meantime I'll be going back a couple pages to see if there has been something recent.

The Thinktank Retrospective that I have, the Ona Union Station bag posted above on this page, any Crumpler that isn't bright green or something - there's lots more than that in this thread too.

Just start from the beginning of this thread and glance through the pages for pictures, there's bound to be some that you like. What you have isn't all that uncommon and should fit most good bags. Price would be your biggest limiting factor.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Ballistic Photon posted:

I noticed some of you guys don't mind tossing your lenses into your bags without a rear lens cap. Does this really not bother you that much? Not knocking the choice, just curious. I kind of get annoyed with having to take my rear lens cap off all the time anyway.

If I'm not going to be putting anything on top of it (like a 70-200) then I don't bother. The underside of the bag (the only thing that would touch it) doesn't have anything sharp/hard.

For smaller lenses that I stack I'll put one on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Can you fit a 70-200 in it? I am considering either something like this or the TT retrospective 10 for long term travel (6+ mo) and am a little concerned about the velcro closing mechanism on the TT.

A little late but... I've never had any issues with the velcro on my Retrospective 20 (the 10 is identical in that regard). It's really well made and never feels "cheesy." Being able to "silence" it is nice as well; not only does it eliminate noise but it makes the access faster.

• Locked thread