Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

TsarAleksi posted:

Domke J-1

My review is here

Everyone should get themselves a Domke bag.

This looks like a better version of the Tamrac shoulder bag I have:

The Tamrac is very nice, but has limited padding. The outside has a leather suede cover that is attractive and holds up to all kinds of abuse and doesn't show dirt. It is fine in the rain/snow/sleet/dust/etc. Mine now has a stain from somebody spilling red wine on it (that was not me). It can hold a large quantity of lenses using the default compartments, which I have never bothered to remove because they suit me perfectly. Each slot can hold a lens the size of a 70-200mm. But frequently, since I don't carry lenses that long, I can stack shorter lenses on top of each other, filling each slot with two lenses, (and sometimes 3 lenses), giving it a maximum payload of 6 lenses! This can get a little heavy so don't put six lenses in it.

This is meant to be a light travel bag and I really like it for this purpose.

The downside: It has a propensity to fall forward if you're stacking it with lenses. Gotta watch the bag if you're stacking. Also, it does not easily hold a pro body (or a body without a removable grip, at least), and that can be annoying. However, for most of my shooting the camera is around my neck the whole time so I don't care.

I think I might take a look at that Domke you have there Tsar, as it looks like it has some advantages mine is missing (like good padding and the ability to stick a pro body + lens inside. Plus you can still carry 3 lenses which is a good amount.)

I also have a f.64 bag that I picked up in a thrift shop for $5 in almost new condition. Great bag! Good padding, extremely sturdy build quality, but the layout inside sort-of throws me. It can hold a body and a lens, plus two other lenses, but it's sort-of awkward and wide so it makes lugging it around the shoulder somewhat odd.

Mfg link

I like this bag a lot, but I really only use it for lugging equipment around on shoots as a complimentary bag to my other shoulder bag or my backpack. It's great at storing LOTS of things, but is not ideal for day-shooting in my opinion.

Edit: The problem with your Domke is that it is wide like the f.64. I prefer slimmer bags. Nevertheless, I will check it out in a camera store because it looks like it could work.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I would be curious to hear from anyone who has Pelican cases and whether they like them. Which one do you use and how much equipment can you put in it? I was thinking of getting the 1510 Carry On Case but I'm not sure if foam is better or the dividers. Is this the case most photographers buy?

I wish it had bigger pictures of what it could hold because that would give me a good idea of whether it's worth using on big jobs instead of my Crumpler Whiskey and Cox (which is really not that great a bag).

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
My thoughts on the RS-7 is that someone could slash the lens if they were walking behind you or accidentally bump into it. (I don't trust New Yorkers.)

http://vimeo.com/6150158

• Locked thread