Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

None of my crumpler bags let water in. If you're really scared you can just wash the outer shell and coat it with impermeability spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd say at least half retail, but check ebay and your local second-hand sites.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I still use crumpler bags, and I totally agree that a couple of different sizes is super handy.
I have a leg holster that fits a body (lens mounted) and an extra prime, a small shoulder bag for body + couples lenses + flash + random crap, and a large one where I can fit all my crap (body, 2 primes, f/2.8 standard zoom, 70-200/2.8, flash, chargers, extra batteries, etc).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The only real complaints I could have about Pelican cases are the prices and the lackluster temper-proofing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

...the hell? :confused:
Cold batteries hold fuckall charge. So you keep them in your pockets, or in a bag compartment next to a chemical heat source.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Ohhhhh, :downs: I thought there was some kind of battery powering.... something in the bag. That makes a ton more sense though.
Yeah until you put the wrong heat source next to your li-ion batteries and they transform your rear end into bacon :laugh: Just keep them in a pants pocket.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

frogbs posted:

Is it really advisable to be hanging your camera from the tripod plate? Are those things designed for that kind of stress?
You'll break the most cameras' sockets before you do the plate.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fists Up posted:

In Europe they are just gonna take a bag regardless of whats in it if you have it lying around.
In America they will shoot you, then take the bag regardless of what it looks like.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This happens to tourists all the time in the United States.
It's what I've heard, it must be true!

Re: NG bags, my understanding was that those are bags from other makers that they slap a logo and a price hike on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Both my Crumpler bags have a side strap you can skip 2 tripod legs into.
But carrying more than 10-15 pounds of gear in a shoulder bag will get old quick.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can't use canon-design straps on nikon bodies, they don't have the recessed bar at the bottom.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

EDIT: Oh it says they're resistant. Awesome :toot:
I have a few made of the same stuff. Spray some ski jacket water repellent stuff on it and forget about water and rain covers. It's awesome.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have an unhealthy obsession with gear bags. I already have 3 generic laptop backpacks, 2 generic shoulder computer bags, a Timbuk2 bag, a Canon bag, a new Kata DR-467i, and I now I want this and an Ona bag. :smithicide:
hahaha welcome to the club. Girlfriend and I own about a grand worth of crumpler bags, between the photo and computer bags.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I would definitely not take the 70-200 f/2.8 hiking.
This, and really just get a backpack that fits *you* then put photo stuff and a photo bag in there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also they'll scratch the hell out of your camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A camera strap with a quick release is literally the worst idea ever.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I never understood the hubbub about rain covers. Fat load of good it'll do ya when you can't get anything out of the bag with it on.

Do wash+respray the crumpler shell when waters stops rolling off of it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Anything specific I should wash it with or avoid using?
Dunno. I just toss the shell in the machine at 30C with pretty soft soap.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

orenji posted:

Does anyone else find that crumpler bags shred up their clothes? I used to have a messenger bag, but sold it becuase It rubbed a hole in my JEANS where it used to hang (in about a month)!
The most :black101: bag of them all.
The only problem I've ever had with them is when I put on a new pair of jeans before heading out with my Crumpler. The bag rubbed, and got blue. Came off in the wash.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nonanone posted:

Big ol' pelican case.
If you don't have to lug poo poo too far on foot, this is always the best answer. Also they have a wheels+handle add-on IIRC.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Is there anything like an RS-7 that lets me keep my tripod plate attached to my camera?
Get a plate with a D ring?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D90, 30/1.4, sometimes a 85/1.8, in a Small Twoten Daily Crumpler.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nonanone posted:

For people who don't want to pay quite as much for the R-strap, there's this C-loop thing now, where you can attach a regular camera strap to a little rotating metal thing: http://www.customslr.com/products/c-loop/?utm_source=PetaPixel&utm_medium=125banner&utm_campaign=CLoop
It's 40 bucks, why not just get a tripod plate with a D ring?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lowepro = this bag contains an SLR. But you can take the tag off 8)

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 24, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A gripped/pro body with a lens on it is just an awkward thing to pack and there's no way around it. Plus you're way more likely to damage the mount in transit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Don't worry about the mount. I've shot for ages with a gripped camera where the strap is secured just to the battery grip and things work out fine. That said, I probably just jinxed myself.
Heh. It's just the most common failure mode for cameras getting tossed around AFAIK. I keep mine with either a lens or a grip on it when packed, not both.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

signalnoise posted:

How do you guys store all your stuff that you aren't taking with you at the moment? A case?
Millions of drawers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

If you want leather and have more money than sense, the Billingham Hadley Pro. I have one in black and tan and it's simply beautiful.
That's canvas. And if you're going canvas might as well get a Domke bag.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's a reason you never see actual photogs carrying Billingham bags. It's not that they're bad, but you're going to get tired of carrying 3+ pounds of bag on top of whatever you put in there. And that's on top of the :lol: price.

e: my friend's vintage (aka stolen from her dad) all leather bag looks baller as all hell but yeah, it's aggravatingly heavy.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 6, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

torgeaux posted:

My billingham bag looks good, carries a lot, and is drat easy to carry. It's really efficient in it's use of space, too. So far, I've got not a single bad thing to say about it. I suspect I hear ignorance talking.
Post of pic with your gripped/ungripped 5d in it?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also you will hate every meter you don't have a vehicle for. You can get a wheels+handle add-on, but that makes the cases even bulkier. Unless you're checking your poo poo on a plane, I'd stick to photo bags.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crumplers are pretty bulletproof. I have 2 and I like them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I use the insert from my small Crumpler when I want to carry >1 lens in my backpack. Works great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have a messenger big enough to carry the largest kit I carry around, and another that'll just take a body and 2 primes. I just put an insert in my pack if I have to trek.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crumplers aren't exactly the best looking bags and they sometimes lack small features but in my experience they've been pretty bulletproof.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Once you start accumulating accessories it snowballs fast. Nowadays I just carry my camera and a prime.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't carry that much poo poo in a shoulder bag you crazy person.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

I'm not really sure what to do: with my DSLR, I'd take a big camera bag and stuff the non-camera stuff in there. Now I have the luxury of m4/3, I feel that I should be taking the advantages of it. Maybe a Bat Utility Belt?
Put 2 pouches on your daypack's shoulder straps.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

I guess those are the best option -it just seems a shame that I can;t think of anything more creative to take advantage of the fact that these lenses are so teeny-tiny.

Any recommendations for such a pouch?
In cold weather you can wear an M65-type field jacket and use the pockets as dump pouches, but if you want something more flexible....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

Messenger bag kills my shoulder after a while so I need a backpack, but I'd like to keep the option of easily stowing/grabbing the camera. Otherwise maybe I'll just stick a lens insert into a regular backpack.
Get a backpack that opens on the side.

• Locked thread