Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I bought one of these at Bonnaroo and it's actually pretty great.

It's an old seatbelt that has been sewn on, so it's pretty neat.

Mine was $25, but here's the site:

http://www.souldier.us/index.php

They also make all kinds of other strappy type things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I just got the Ona Union Street in Smoke (the gray color) today.

It's a lot smaller than I thought it was. I have a 5d2, a 35L, 24-105L and a 50 1.4. It barely takes all 3, I have to put my st-e2, spare battery and cards and stuff loose in the spot underneath one of the little velcro walls that are supporting the camera. There's no way this thing would take a 5d2 with a grip on it.

It's sort of tall, but it's not very wide or long. It certainly could not take a 70-200 on a camera body, and I'm not 100% sure it could take the 2.8 IS alone, if it could it'd be really close. With the 24-105 and a 5d2, there's probably an inch or so left of space.

The padding is nice, but not very firm from the outside. The bottom is fine, but the narrow sides (ends) are pretty thin. I would hesitate to put a lens against the ends. I put an extra velcro wall piece right against one end and that seems a lot more secure. Because it has a laptop slot and a front pocket, it's fairly well protected from the big sides. It's fairly easy to open like a messenger bag and grab your camera. It has little rain corners that would cover the ends of the bag to stop a little bit of rain from getting in. It has a square bottom so it won't tip over and it's pretty sturdy so I don't see it falling over too much.

The bag itself is very light and very well made. The back pocket has a magnet to keep it shut, but it's pretty thin, I don't think you could put more than a magazine or two in there. The front pocket is very nice and zippers shut, and could probably hold a bunch of things like a phone, wallet, keys, e-reader, card-reader and spare memory cards without much issue. If you fill this up though, it definitely makes the pocket push out a bit and looks kind of silly. That pocket is obviously not meant to carry a whole lot aesthetically, but it can practically.

It's comfortable to carry around, and loaded up with all of my gear (sans laptop) it seemed comfortable and well balanced. For some reason when I ordered it I thought it was leather(it says on the website it's not), but it turns out that only the trim and bottom are leather. The bulk of the fabric is a waxed canvas type thing that seems pretty good. The belt straps on the outside are a little silly, you belt them down to where you want, and then they release with a latch. I can't see ever keeping them on anything then the loosest setting.

The strap on top is very cool to carry it like a briefcase, but because it's attached to the flap on top, the bag hangs at an angle if you load it up.

I'm not entirely sure I feel like I got my full $279 value out of the bag, but I needed a messenger type bag for a trip to europe this fall, and didn't want to carry around my lowepro fastpack 250 or the microtrekker 100 that I have. It looks very nice and definitely functions, it's just not quite as padded as I would like, nor is it as large as I'd like.

Pros:
-Really nice build quality
-Looks great, subtle markings and subdued trim.
-Light and compact.
-Decent padding

Cons:
-Expensive
-Definitely cannot hold a gripped camera
-Not tall enough for a long lens on body
-Padding is thin on the ends

Pics:

Bag with Canon 35L and 50 1.4 in the right 2 spots.

Bag next to a MicroTrekker 100

iPhone pic with it loaded with a 5d with a 24-105 on it, and 2 lenses.

The same stuff in the MicroTrekker 100. Yes it closes just fine, the 35L is just a fatty.

• Locked thread