Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
I know this is a random piece of information, but I just discovered it and I had to share...

The front pocket of the Tamrac Adventure 4 (which is an excellent messenger-style bag), is the perfect size for an 11" MacBook air. It would probably fit in there with a tight-fitting neoprene sleeve, too if you want scratch protection.

I thought I was going to have to buy yet another bag to carry around some camera gear + the laptop, but the Tamrac is going to work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

DJExile posted:

Do Tamracs have an all-weather cover or how do they do in the rain as they are?

That particular Tamrac bag is not weather-protected at all... There's no all-weather cover and the actual camera compartment is not sealed shut, there us just a buckled-down flap over the top of the compartment. The front pocket is just a normal zipper, not gasketed. Sooooo not a great all-weather bag... But it is very durable. Its been my trusty urbex bag for two years. Now it will be my backup / camera+laptop bag since I've bought the Kata 3-in-1 backpack.

I was thinking about doing a video review thing for the Kata - would anyone be interested in that?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
I tried to do a full video review of my Kata 3N1-20, but for various reasons, it didn't work out (I sound like an idiot on camera, I didn't prepare anything before trying to review, I didn't want to setup a shot showing the different ways to wear it, etc). But, I think showing the capacity of the bag in a video is important, because it's hard to judge what it can hold from a still photo or an illustration.

So, here's a video showing the contents of my bag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxMYmLrVYrg

I have been really happy with this backpack. It is the perfect size for what I wanted to carry, it's 10x more comfortable than the other backpacks I tried on, the little 'wings' and accompanying strap that goes around your waist are a huge help for long trips... one complaint I have is that there is no strap to go around your chest, but I bought a $2 strap w/ buckle and I wrap it around the shoulder straps over my chest and it really helps distribute the weight better. This makes it impossible to swing the bag to the side for side-access, but I rarely use the bag in that configuration anyway. I find it's much more comfortable as a traditional backpack.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

caberham posted:

I have a question for all you bag lovers! I'm going on a 3 week trip across South East Asia carrying a 50D, film body and an assortment of 1 telephoto, 2 primes, 2 zooms, a laptop, speedlite, and maybe a tripod. I will probably stash a few lenses into the room and have stuff on rotation depending on location.

Would you guys go for a 7 million dollar home or a Kata 31N?

I haven't had the sweaty back problem with the Kata yet... but I didn't have it this summer, just got it in the fall. I've mainly used it hiking and with a inner wicking layer I've been comfortable.

About your trip: if you are planning on doing long stretches of walking/hiking, do your shoulders a favor and get the Kata or some other backpack. Before buying the Kata, I used the Tamrac Adventure 4 for a few years (it's like the poor man's Crumpler messenger bag). I really destroyed my left shoulder from putting too much weight on one side of my body. I would switch sides every once in a while, or put my tripod w/ strap over the opposite shoulder, but in the long run I would always come home with an aching shoulder. Going to a backpack was long overdue. Plus, your bag is securely attached to you, and won't hang off your body if you bend over. If you're bringing a tripod, you'll be able to attach it to a backpack, but not to a messenger bag (one of the main reasons I looked at the Kata is because it centers your tripod down the middle of your body and not on one side of the bag)

If you are mainly driving around and plan to stop at places to photograph, and want to be able to quickly get to all your gear, the messenger bag will work great. I still love that Tamrac bag, and will continue using it for short trips... but never again for any lengthy walking.

Edit: The 3N1-22 or -33 will hold your laptop, too.

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 26, 2010

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Mr. Despair posted:

Kata makes a tripod holder for that bag

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-ZZ-STH-3N1-Tripod-Holder/dp/B002HHLWC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330798723&sr=1-1

I bought a Kata 3n1-33 (basically the same thing as yours but with pocket to hold a laptop) off a goon that came with the tripod holder, and it seems like it would work well with a shorter tripod. Doesn't work very well with a heavy or tall tripod though.

It works great with a Manfrotto 190 series - a pretty standard sized tripod. You just have to put two legs in the holder and one leg on the outside of the holder. The buckle up top keeps the outside leg from opening up.

• Locked thread