Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
I have:

Think Tank Airport Antidote
Think Tank Airport International
Think Tank Streetwalker
Think Tank Streetwalker Pro
Billingham Hadley Pro
Lowepro Micro Trekker
Lowepro Slingshot 200
Domke F-2
Domke F-5

My digital kit lives in the Streetwalker Pro. My Hasselblad kit lives in the Streetwalker. My large format kit is in the Airport Antidote. All of the rest of the bags are pretty situational. My Leicas used to be in the Hadley but that one right now is vacant.

I am willing to write up the bags if anyone wants to know about a particular one. The streetwalkers are my favorite bags, especially the Pro. It's extremely well made, fits nicely, has an excellent tripod carrying system. I would recommend them above all of the other bags I have own or owned in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

HPL posted:

One thing I've found incredibly frustrating about backpacks and sling bags is accessing lenses and other stuff that isn't in the quick-access areas which is why I favor shoulder bags. How is the Streetwalker?

The streetwalker is like any other backpack in that it has to be removed to get access to your gear. It is well padded and carries the weight very well. I can lug around a D700 and all the fixins' and it's no problem. My back doesn't seem to get as sweaty with it either, as it has an "air channel" sort of thing. It is deeper and narrower than most backpacks which I prefer as well, so lenses go in vertically.

Tripod carry system is very nice. It has a pouch built in that you put two of the legs in and then strap it down on the bottom and another strap on the top. To remove the tripod all you do is unclip the straps and pull it out. Nothing weird to mess with it and it doesn't hang below you at all, and keeps the weight centered in the middle of the pack. It's the best one out there for tripods. The Pro is definitely better for larger tripods but the regular streetwalker is OK as well, I'd rather just carry a monopod with that one.

I typically shoot landscape type things so I generally put my bag down and work out of it that way.

Slingshot 200

The slingshot 200 is a decent bag. I use it when I only want to carry a body and one lens and maybe a couple of accessories. My biggest problem is that my back seems to get really sweaty with it, and it doesn't carry the weight very well of heavier gear. You can fit a surprising amount in it though, and you can work out of it reasonably well "on the go". For the price, it's nice enough. I wish the top section was a little more thought out, it's kind of a weird shape and maybe needs a small divider in it. I actually crammed an entire Bronica ETRSi in to the top of it once.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

HPL posted:

If you do a bit more digging, you'll find that the majority of people with issues with the strap are talking about the older versions which indeed were a little dodgy.

I have both the new and old version and have no issues with either one. I could see how it could happen, but there is a little piece of plastic on the old version that prevents it from opening. The new version is defintely better made.

Both straps work fine in practice and I have gotten many compliments from other photographers on them, including some Paparazzi on a TV set in New York.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
I handled the retrospective yesterday at a local shop. I'm not a huge fan of the material it is made of, a little too rough for my taste. I think I prefer the billingham stuff. It seems nice enough for the price though if the material doesn't bother you.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Bongodrums posted:

drat, now I'm rethinking the ThinkTank. $209 + taxes here in Canada, that's a little steep...Crumpler or Domke are pretty much the only alternatives when it comes to this style of bag, isn't it?

Or Billingham which is my preference, and you will look like a rich rear end in a top hat who totes around a Leica but never shoots with it :)

The canvas that is used on the retrospective bag seems very thick and durable, but again has that rather rough feel to it, and is not all that flexible. Over time it may soften up, and you could always throw it in the dryer for a few hours and see if that changes it. My preference is for thinner, softer material for these sort of bags. Certainly the ThinkTank would hold up to a lot of abuse, though, if that is your intention. Different strokes and all that crap.

I love ThinkTank for backpacks and rollers (best in the business easily) but never been overly impressed with their shoulder bags. The Urban Disguise bags can hold a lot, but I hate the zippered top which makes it difficult to get larger items in or out, especailly from the corners.

• Locked thread