Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Can anybody recommend a small to medium sized bag that can hold a Canon 40D, 2-3 lenses (maybe 70-200mm largest at the most), maybe a flash unit and some extra space. Also room for a laptop and a tripod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Aatrek posted:

The LowePro "Rover" bag/backpack would work well for that, I think. I have one for sale (with pictures) over here, if you are interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3359539

I've held my laptop, D70, and two lenses (with room to spare) in that thing.
Ah I'm not in the US but thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out locally.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

nonanone posted:

Any suggestions for carrying: hasselblad, prism viewfinder, 2 backs, Polaroid back, pistol grips, film + odds and ends?
It doesn't require that much space but I don't want them rubbing against each other or carry a huge bag with too many divisions. I don't ever carry it long (yay assistants-sherpas) so it doesn't need to be super ergonomic but I do like bags to look nice and be somewhat accessible. Right now I'm just using a square lowepro bag and it's giving under all the weight and hard edges.
Maybe you can consider a ThinkTank StreetWalker, it sounds like it should be able to fit all that inside. If not you can get the StreetWalker Pro.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

nonanone posted:

Is the streetwalker comfortable? It always seemed kind of big to me, and I'm a 5'1" person, so large backpacks look comical on me.
I think it's one of the smaller backpacks out there already, although I think some of the Kata ones might be smaller. Which Lowepro bag were you using?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Do straps exist that can make a Hassie 500c/m a walk around camera?

I baby it so much and shove it back into my bag after every shot, currently, but now the weather is nice I want to do a bit more street/wandering with it and without my bag.
I've heard good things about the Optech strap but personally I'm using the Artist & Artisan Hassy strap which I really like. I just hang it around my neck and it rests around midchest level, lens pointing down, which is perfect to just turn it straight up, pop out the WLF and start composing. It's not as comfortable as the wide padding on the Optech but it's pretty decent still.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

It looks to be about the size of a Billingham Hadley Pro but without the expandable front pockets.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Can anyone recommend me something for a 5D mark II, 24-105 f//4, three smaller primes, a flash or two and a 13" MacBook Pro?

I like the look of the Domke F3 backpack, but it wouldn't fit the computer.

I'd prefer a backpack or a sling bag. I've looked through the offerings of all the well known brands and haven't found something I like.

Edit: the new Ona backpack just released today looks pretty much perfect, that price though...
You can consider the ThinkTank STreetWalker series

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pureone posted:

Also, I understand that it seems like getting a standard backpacking backpack might be a better idea, but it seems like everything I find online is overkill. Most of the one's I am looking at are around 35L bags. I guess I should start looking for something in the 55L range and just buy a camera insert?
You can consider using this as a camera insert if you're just bringing a camera and a lens: http://www.crumpler.com/catalogue/Camera-Bags/Camera-Pouches/Haven-S.html

Then just put your laptop in a thick laptop sleeve.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

I'm sort of a gearfag when it comes to this. I'm a pretty firm believer that you are only as good as the best camera you have on you. If I can't carry all of my stuff with me, it's time to get a larger bag. Right now I have a Kata 3n1-30. However I'm starting to reach the breaking point as I start getting serious with portraiture and buying a billion lights and accessories. I will learn. I must learn.

Just buy a van or something.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

StarkingBarfish posted:

I wanted a camera bag that didn't look like a camera bag and was cheap. In the end I figured I'd get a small bag that I could put inside an ordinary messenger bag, and got this:

http://dx.com/p/protective-nylon-fabric-one-shoulder-bag-w-rain-cover-for-nikon-d60-d70-more-black-131482

It looks pretty ugly, especially the fake "D" on the side, but it's well built, the material, finishing and zips are good, it's easy to get into quickly, and holds my D5100 + kit 18-55 + macro tubes + blower, cleaning cloths and other misc bits and pieces easily with room for another lens.

The padding is nice & thick, and it has semi-rigid material on the front + back to provide support. Fits nicely in my old crumpler very busy man along with a macbook air, and because it opens up-and-out it doesn't need to be removed to access the camera.

Not bad at all for $21. Maybe when I have more kit I'll get something more serious, but it's nice to have an insert of some kind so that you can carry the camera reasonably discretely.

You could also consider the Crumpler Haven if you want a insert pouch bag to put in a bigger bag: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/08/02/review-crumpler-haven-l-camera-pouch/

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Duckjob posted:

Does anyone have any experience with a Crumpler 8 MDH? I'm giving my girlfriend my recent model 7 MDH since it doesnt take nicely to gripped cameras and i've picked up a few more lenses prior from purchasing it. I know its been discontinued and replaced by the Bronze Extravaganza but I cant justify forking $295 for an uglier and boxy man purse. I like bringing all my poo poo with me so i'm hoping that this will fit a gripped 5d3, the 2.8 zoom trinity, 2 primes and a couple of flashes.

You can consider the Domke F1X, or its Safrotto CF-100 knockoff on eBay. Can fit an amazing amount of stuff inside them. The inserts are somewhat different between them though, but you can use Domke inserts in the Safrotto

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Suggestions for a small backpack that doesn't scream I HAVE A CAMERA PLEASE MUG ME?

I want to take my camera on a day hike in a touristy area and I think a messenger bag/sling type would get annoying flopping around at my side (unless someone can suggest a sling that isn't floppy). I just got my first DSLR so I don't have too much stuff to put in it, just the body and a couple lenses.

Maybe consider a camera pouch like the Crumpler Haven? Fits in most backpacks.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

F-Stop bags and ICUs are the business though. I really like them and they're made for photographers with loads to carry. Here's how I setup my ICU for LF shooting: https://flic.kr/p/nYL5L4

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Rot posted:

Dude, seriously. I can't seem to get one of these bags. A Loka or a Tilopa BC and appropriate ICUs, that's all I ask. Why is it so hard for me to give them my money?

You might have better luck if you can find a local distributor. That's where I bought mine from here: http://www.macshopsg.com/

They do ship internationally it seems so maybe you can order from them?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

You can also consider the Crumpler Haven pouches: http://www.crumpler.com/au/haven-m

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Try the F-Stop bags.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

I bought a billingham.

it's really nice.

It's surprisingly small but it can hold an inhuman amount of gear. It can hold my pentax 6x7, fuji gw670, nikon f3, and I still have room for more.

It's expensive and so are the accessories

The quality is outstanding.

a++ would recommend a++ a++ a++ a++

The build quality is really good too. I've had mine for about 4 years and it still looks really good condition.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Opioid posted:

I just got a Fuji X-t10. Looking for a small padded pouch I can throw in my normal backpack or bag that can house the camera with a lens attached + 1 extra lens for traveling. I don't want to have an entire second backpack just for my camera when it's small and only has 1 other lens. Any favourites?

Check out the Crumpler Haven inserts.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

For those looking to get a F-Stop bag, might want to think twice: http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/08/an-inside-look-at-f-stop-a-bag-company-falling-apart-at-the-seams/68877/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

For those who may need some small bags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsjpTMDuGeE

• Locked thread