Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

8th-samurai posted:

I finally broke down and bought a R strap. First thing I did when getting home was clip it to the tripod plate on my Hasselblad. Tremble before the quickdraw 500c/m!

Is it really advisable to be hanging your camera from the tripod plate? Are those things designed for that kind of stress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kefkafloyd posted:

The D-ring on the Manfrotto plates is NOT built to be load bearing. It will deform and fail. The plate won't detach from the camera, but the little D-ring will come apart.

You should buy one of these to replace the wimpy D-ring in the manfrotto plate. They should be out sometime this month.

That is so awesome, hopefully it wont be too expensive. My one complaint about the R-Strap was having to remove it to use with a tripod plate, and now thats no longer a problem!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I'm considering picking up a Kata 467i. i've been looking for a laptop/photo backpack and that hits all the bullet points for me
* Laptop Pocket
* Front/Side accessible Camera compartment
* Tripod Holder
* Rain Cover
* Not ugly as sin

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Kata, but I figured i'd ask if anyone else knew of any bags that fit all these requirements. I like the Lowepro Fastrack 250, but it doesnt have a way to carry a tripod (that I can tell).

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kcncuda71 posted:

the smaller katas (3n1 series) might fit the bill. Mainly the 3n1-11,3n1-22,and 3n1-33 have laptop slots. I think you have to pay a little extra for the tripod holder, but it's universal for all kata bags. They all come with a rain cover and has a side accessible camera compartment. They will probably cost less as well.

Based on what i've read, only the Large 3n1 will hold anything larger than a netbook (10" screen or so). Does anyone know if a 13" Macbook Air would fit in the medium 3n1 bag? (This one, for clarification )

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

So I'm considering picking up a Kata 467i. i've been looking for a laptop/photo backpack and that hits all the bullet points for me
* Laptop Pocket
* Front/Side accessible Camera compartment
* Tripod Holder
* Rain Cover
* Not ugly as sin

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Kata, but I figured i'd ask if anyone else knew of any bags that fit all these requirements. I like the Lowepro Fastrack 250, but it doesnt have a way to carry a tripod (that I can tell).

So I ended up ordering the Kata 467I, got it today...and I was really underwhelmed! The camera compartment is REALLY inconvenient and crowded. I also didnt like how many different straps and things there are, way too many for what isnt really a huge backpack. The tripod holder is also kind of useless, it didnt do a very good job of holding my 4lb tripod to the bag, it moved all over the place. I'm going return the 467i and give the Kata 3n1-33 a shot and see if that serves me better. I'll be sure to post my impressions in this thread. Thanks for everyones advice!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Apparently Lowepro has updated their Fastpack series with the new DSLR Video range. I wish I'd know about these a few months back when I bought my Kata 3n1-33. I was looking for a small backpack with side camera access that had a tripod carrier as well as space for a macbook air all while being relatively small. The Fastpack 150 is EXACTLY that! Anyone interested in a barely used Kata 3n1-33 with tripod holder?!

Heres a preview I found: http://thedigitalstory.com/2011/09/sneak_peek_-_lowepro.html

I hope this is ok, I put my Kata 3n1-33 up for sale.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 11, 2011

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know where I can get some of these triangular split rings? I actually only need one, I lost one that came with a used X100T I bought. I know that Hama made some, but B&H says they are no longer available...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm looking for a sling style messenger bag to carry a 13" Macbook Pro, a Fuji X100t and a Slik Sprint Mini II tripod.

A while back in this thread I remember seeing a messenger style bag that had clips/lashes on the bottom to attach the tripod to the outside of the bag. The closest thing i've been able to find is the Incase DSLR Sling Pack, although it's a bit too small for the macbook. I know thye make a larger version, but it looks huge.

Does anyone know of any other bags like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I was looking for a messenger bag that could carry a 13" Macbook Pro and my X100t and happened upon this super cheap Lowepro on Amazon for $30. So far it's served my purposes well, considering the price (I was going to get an ONA Union Street...). Not sure how waterpoof it is, the fabric is fairly thin, but it's lightweight and has padding where it counts. There's also a black version if grey/orange isn't your thing.

• Locked thread