Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For backpacking, you might also pick up a camera holster of some kind and strap that to your pack or harness somewhere if you want to be able to get at it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would borrow or buy the lightest tripod I could find too. When traveling, I carry an old Slik sprint pro II. It's pretty shaky but if I lock the mirror up and use timed release it settles down enough for decent long exposures. It's way cheaper than carbon fiber and teeny tiny when packed down.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up a Domke F3 and, while it's almost the same size as my retrospective 5, I can fit waaaaay more into it. The Retrospective has some features that are nicer--you can tell it's a more modern design--but I much prefer the floppier, less padded nature of the F3. It can fit: D800, 20mm 2.8, 35mm f2, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 90mm macro, 70-200 2.8 VR, SB910, and a few accessories.

You might still prefer the ThinkTank but give the Domke stuff a look if you can.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a StreetWalker Pro and that's already huge; the HD is even bigger. The Streetwalker is great for when I want to carry everything for a decent distance, but I can fit very nearly the same crap in a Domke F3, which is a fraction of the size. Any time I use the streetwalker I'm annoyed with how big it is compared to the F3, even if backpacks are more comfortable. I can fit a gripped D800 with 35mm attached, 70-200 with hood reversed, 50mm 1.8, 20mm 2.8, Tamron 90mm macro, SB910, SB700, and some accessories in an F3. The Streetwalker will hold little bit more accessories and let me carry the 70-200 mounted on the camera, but that's a bout it for extra space. It just seems really bulky for the amount it carries.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know, I might not mind the size as much if I had the HD instead of the Pro--being able to consolidate my everything into one bag vs. laptop bag + camera bag might make the bulk more palatable.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have it in black and love it. In it, I carry: D800 with grip and one of my primes mounted, 20mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0, 50mm 1.8, 90mm macro, 70-200 VRII 2.8, SB910 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, and some accessories. Picked mine up as a more compact alternative to my ThinkTank Streetwalker pro. I also have a Retrospective 5 for my MFT gear and full the F3X is barely larger. I also looked at the larger ThinkTank bags and decided I prefer the less padded Domke as it's much more compact foo how much it carries. The ThinkTank stuff is certainly well made, but it's overpadded and that makes it feel bulky.

If you were really going to be bashing around your bag the extra padding of a Retrospective might be nice, but I prefer the size since I'm pretty careful with my gear.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love my F3X for walking around with minimal gear since it's so light empty. It'll actually hold a lot of stuff, but it's uncomfortable to carry fully loaded. I usually carry it over one should and then my D800 on a blackrapid over the other. Seems to balance everything out pretty nicely.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To me, the Think Tank bags are a bit over padded and it makes them bulkier than they need to be (for me). They're great bags, don't get me wrong, but my F3X is barely bigger than the Retrospective 5 I use for M4/3 gear. The 5 can hold my D800 body and maybe another lens, while the F3x can hold the D800, SB700, SB910, 70-200 2.8, 50mm 1.8 on the camera, 35mm f2.0, 20mm 2.8, 90mm macro, and some accessories. The Retrospective 20 can probably hold more, but it doesn't sound like you need to hold that much more and it'll be way more bulky than the less padded F3x.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Domke makes a bunch of different inserts that'd probably work better for roll your own bag situations: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Inserts/ci/4382/N/4232860913

F-Stop's mountain series of bags are designed around a minimal, photo gear carrying bag that goes into their actual backpack bag. They sell the internal units standalone: http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/icu

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like having a bag that holds exactly what I need in the smallest possible space. A second that gives a bit more flexibility for keeping big lenses mounted in-bag and extra poo poo is worth having too. It's just a lot nicer to run around with the smallest bag you can instead of a gargantuan hold all beast. (I'd love to have a giant rolly bag of some kind that I could use as a base camp on bigger shoots.)

Kata makes some great bags, I have two, and their service is also very good if anything breaks. When the top handle on mine broke, they had their R&D department whip up a new one that would be more flexible and less prone to breaking, and then overnighted it to me. I do think they're waaay over padded, which makes them bulkier than they need to be, and they tend to look very camera bag-y.

I'd give Think Tank and Domke a look, and there's a company (Safrotto maybe?) that makes knockoff Domke F2's that are supposedly even better than the real deal Domke's at half the price.

The F3X would be big enough for everything you listed, but it's a little pricy. Here's mine loaded up with a D800+grip+50mm 1.8, 20mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0, Tamron 90mm macro, Sb910, Sb700, and 70-200 2.8. I could probably fit a couple more lenses in if I needed to.

I think the floppiness of Domke's bags makes it easier to cram them full of stuff. And, when they don't have as much stuff, the floppiness makes them feel less bulky.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a 5 and yeah, if anything it might be a tad too small. I have a GH3, 12-35 2.8, and Pentax 50mm with adapter in it right now, and I think I could probably fit one, MAYBE two more smallish lenses. I'd check out Domke's stuff too as they're much less padded on the sides and feel smaller than the retrospective series. Something about the floppiness makes them seem smaller when they have less gear in them. My F3XC barely feels bigger than the Retrospective 5 but holds a waaay more gear. I don't know what they have smaller than the F3XC but I assume there's something.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
F-stop and Clik Elite make backpacks that are more geared towards hiking and have space for other stuff. F-Stop also makes padded, zippered inserts for their own bags that'd work well with other bags too (they're pricy though.)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ThinkTank already had something like that before and spun off this other company to make more outdoorsy stuff. I think they also stopped making the ThinkTank version a while ago. For spin around backpack antics I like LowePro's flipside series. The backpack opens from, uhm, the back, so you can leave the waistband on and spin it around to get at stuff without setting it down: http://www.lowepro.com/flipside-sport It's also more like $130.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I find belt pouches easiest to use if I'm doing event work or anything where I need to change lenses frequently. They're more comfortable than messenger bags (to me) and the pouches give really fast access. I let the camera hang on its strap while I'm changing so I can have on lens in each hand though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That doesn't seem like much stuff at all, have you thought about just getting a padded insert for a regular bag? It might be easier to find something that fits your aesthetic needs. Domke has a decent variety of inserts that could work.

Otherwise, Ona Brixton/Union Street, Billingham Hadley, and Giottos Lefoto fit into the leather/canvas material scheme. I think the Ona stuff is probably the nicest looking of those. I'm a big fan of Domke's canvas offerings but they're definitely not as stylish as the Wotancraft stuff you linked and their more attractive designs are old enough that they don't have dedicated laptop sleeves—the rear pockets are usually big enough for something like an 11" air with a sleeve.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, one of the pouches on my ThinkTank belt system could probably squeeze all that stuff, but I'd way rather have a shoulder bad or backpack. Especially if I wasn't using it with the big fat ThinkTank belt.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What about a small pouch on one of the pack straps for lenses and just have the camera out on its strap? Even small beltpacks are pretty unwieldy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get something that isn't a camera bag and pick up pouches or one of these for the camera stuff: http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/icu.html

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That doesn't seem that crazy actually. I'm pretty sure all of that would fit in my Think Tank Streetwalker Pro with a little bit of divider arranging.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just bought a camera bag I despise and thought I'd mention it to save anyone else considering it. I'd been looking to replace my old ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro with something that held a laptop, had a better waist belt, and had a little more space. Someone recommended CineBags to me and the CB-25B looked like it'd be a good fit. Well, it sucks. I don't know how it has such a high rating on B&H. Thanks to waaay too thick internal dividers, it barely holds more than my Streetwalker (thought it does hold a laptop of course) and with the same amount of equipment is unbearably uncomfortable. It puts a ton of pressure on my lower back, to the point that I was sore after just trying it out for a few minutes. Maybe it's designed for people bigger than me as I can barely get the waist strap tight enough to be useful? It's awful and I hate it so loving much.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RangerScum posted:

Heads up, I got one of these for my ona bag and it made it about 100x more comfortable to lug around - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R86L?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I love the Domke shoulder pad. It's crazy how comfortable it is.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno what a held good is but I like Think Tank's airport series for travel since they're squarey and use the available space well.

I have that LowePro 450 and kinda wish I would have just gotten another ThinkTank. The hardware is a lot nicer on the ThinkTank stuff even if I like the idea of the side ports and back opening on the 450.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I carry my d800 with battery grip on the shot, which is the not cross body version of the cross shot. The rubber pad is pretty nice and I like the design a bit more than the sport I use for gigs where I'm going to be carrying the camera for longer.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For just two lenses and a body I'd seriously consider just getting a padded insert and using a regular hiking backpack.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Kata were that great before the acquisition either. I had a camcorder bag and shoulder bag, both of which were decent but a step down from the Think Tank, Domke, and Porta Brace stuff I've bought since.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely like to have a smaller bag to carry around once I'm somewhere, but I always carry some kind of small bag/purse thing anyway. Tenba makes camera inserts now too, or I'd consider just throwing some domke wraps around the individual pieces. For me dedicated camera bags are more necessary when you have a bunch of different lenses or similar that need to stay organized. Two bodies and one spare lens seems pretty manageable. What's your preferred carry once you're at a location? Do you want to cart around both cameras and spare lens, or would you just bring one along on a strap?

You can also pull dividers out of normal camera bags to use them for personal stuff. When I travel for work my carryon is a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro backpack full of personal stuff and batteries as my personal item and a pelican case that can survive being gate checked with camera/lenses as main carryon. Other gear and gets checked and then when I'm on location I repack the photo backpack with just camera gear.

Edit: here's the Tenba stuff. Looks like it could fit your needs pretty well: http://www.tenba.com/collections/tools.aspx?page=1 I say this not having much grasp on how big the 67 is compared to normal cameras.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 30, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've got a waxed canvas not photo bag that I'd like to patch up so I'm interested for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the pics and info. I think I may need to think about just making whole bag corner reinforcements as on closer inspection the whole side edges look like they could use some extra abrasion resistance.

• Locked thread