Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Mephistopheles posted:

I need some advice from you knowledgeable folks.

I'm looking to purchase a new camera bag that will double as my computer bag. I am heading over to Japan to teach for a year and am limited in the amount of bags/carry-ons that I can take with me. Therefore, this bag needs to pull double duty. My criteria is as followis. Any advice or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

- Cheaper the better (my budget is ~$150 Canadian)
- Needs to be a backpack style
- should conform to airline carry on specs
- has a laptop compartment that will fit a 15" MacBook Pro + powercables
- can hold my equipment: D70 + 3 lenses, a speedlight, charger, extra battery, memory cards, etc.
- removable camera and lens section inserts (allows me to use the bag as a standard laptop backpack when needed)
- water resistant/waterproof/has a weather cover
- Has a good strap/carrying system that would be comfortable for all day wear and hiking.

optional:
- Tripod holder

From my own research, I am looking at the Kata DR-466 and DR-466I as well as the DR-467/I bags (As far as I can tell, the different between the I and non-I versions is the strap that allows for a Tripod to be attached.) If anyone can tell the difference between the 466 and 467 I would appreciate it. So far I can't find any differences between the two. http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=507&Version=Photo
http://www.kata-bags.ca/product.htm?Product=KTDR467&Source=Category&Category=KATA_PBACKPACKS

The other bag I am looking at is the Tenba Messenger: Photo/Laptop Daypack http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger--Photo-Laptop-Daypack.aspx

Once again, thanks for your input.

I've got the 467i. I bought it because it was "cheap" (relative to other camera bags) yet reasonably sturdy/padded, it fits a laptop, and is just about the maximum size a bag can be while still fitting beneath an airline seat. I'm pretty satisfied with it; it's not the prettiest bag in the world, but it's inconspicuous. Besides for the tripod strap, I think the other difference is that the padded bottom dividers can come out of the -i series, so the bag converts to a regular bookbag easier (taking out the bottom compartment and unzipping the middle divider makes the top compartment just as long as a regular bookbag's).

About the longest lens you can fit in the bottom compartment standing up is a Canon 70-200 4L; if you have a 70-200 2.8L you'll need to put it up top.

Overall, I like it. I haven't used it extensively, but it seems to meet all my expectations. It fit underneath an airplane seat perfectly. The tripod strap/holster (the bottom part of which could carry a water bottle, if you're not carrying a tripod) seems a little iffy, but I've got a huge honken tripod. It's never ripped on me or anything, I just don't know if I completely trust it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread