Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

spf3million posted:

I saw Haggins mention the Naneu Adventure K5 in another thread, I'm intrigued. Has anyone tried this bad boy out? It looks like it might actually be decent for backpacking.

I haven't had much luck finding reviews, maybe because it's so niche. Best thing I could find, which is pretty good, is this youtube video of a guy hiking with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbsBmJ59Sf4

Looks like it'll also serve well as a straight up backpacking pack when you remove the camera insert, which would be a big plus.

____

For everyone looking at Pelican Cases, take a look at http://www.cases4less.com/ . Their prices seem to be about 1/3rd cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. I've never ordered from them but I heard Scott Bourne say he orders his from there. I got my eye on a 1650 with dividers and a lid organizer for $300 to keep my Alien Bee gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I dunno, the distributor they use in the UK is the same one that litepanel uses - and those prices are relatively in line with the US prices. Dollar = Pound prices just really rub me the wrong way.

(I have been researching into buying a black rapid strap and litepanels)

If you want I can mail you one from the US. I don't think it'd cost
more than $10 USD to ship it to the UK.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I've been wanting to get serious about backpacking (like out in the woods over night type backpacking) and since I'm a photographer, I would love to have a legit hiking backpack that accommodates a SLR.

I found one (and only one) and I've had my eye on it for over a year now. The Naneu K5. I couldn't many reviews on it but what information i did find, seemed positive. The main difference between this bag and normal hiking bag is that it has a removable insert/bag that can hold a large SLR, 70-200 2.8 along with a couple more lenses and a flash. In addition, it also has a tripod strap on the back. That's about all I'd ever want to lug out into the middle of the woods.

The other thing I liked about this bag, is that if I take the insertable bag out, it seems to be a perfectly good and normal hiking backpack. This is great because I don't plan on carrying around a SLR on every trip I go on and I'd hate to have to buy another bag. Which brings me to the main point of this post...

The thing that's been holding me back from buying this bag is the price. I see it go for $250-$300, which is about average price for a normal high end hiking backpack. it's a fair price, I just haven't had the money for it. That is until today. I just found a deal here for $97.99 plus $10 shipping. I've never heard of thenerds.net but they seem to have a lot of great reviews on google so I went ahead and ordered it. If anyone else wants to order it, I found a coupon code "bargainen" for $5 off $50.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I would definitely not take the 70-200 f/2.8 hiking.

Yeah not on a walking all day hike but I there are times where I'd like to make it to a base camp and hang out for a day or two while I shoot photos.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Haggins posted:

:words: The Naneu K5 :words: here for $97.99
:words:

Well i got my shipment today. Turns out they sent me the wrong bag, instead they sent me the Sahara 115 by Naneu. Had a feeling it was too good of a deal to be true. Oh well, at least I didn't order a tent and sleeping bag to go with it :v:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I have a "carry all the poo poo I own" backpack right now, which serves its purpose of bringing my gear with me to a base of operations or short walking distances. However, I'm now finding a need for a "I'm going to walk a lot and I just want a couple lenses and a flash" bag.

So I normally walk around with my 50D attached to a 70-200 2.8 IS II on a black rapid. I'd like to carry that around then have something that can hold a couple lenses (probably a 8-16 and 17-50) and a flash along with a few small accessories (filters, 2x extender,etc..). I probably won't need to throw the camera in the bag but I would like to throw the 70-200 in there when it's not mounted to the camera.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Hmm I took a look at that and it seems about the same shape as another bag I have that I don't use (though mine isn't as nice). I went through the thread a bit and it seems a lot of people like the Thinktank retrospective. I'm leaning towards the 20 right now.

I wish there were a camera store in town to try them out, but this town has nothing.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Gilt.com? I can't find anything.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

bobz0r posted:

http://www.gilt.com/sale/men/crumpler-accessories-2023

You need to be registered to buy on Gilt, though. Also anyone that refers you will get a $25 credit when you make your first purchase.

Cool got it. Their search just didn't seem to work for me. Great deals though.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Claw Massage posted:

I got really tired of the camera strap getting in front of the viewfinder when shooting portrait shots, so I started looking for alternatives. There is a product I saw called a c-loop that attached to your tripod mount that looked just like something I wanted to try, but it cost 35 bucks. So I thought "I can make something like that" and just bought a 1/4 inch eye bolt, a carabiner, and some rubber washers and nuts and went to town. I looped the straps through the carabiner and it just attaches to the eye bolt (which I cut down a little bit with a dremel) in the tripod mount. Now the straps don't come anywhere near my eyes. The eye bolt still sticks out a little bit, so I am looking for something a little flatter. Anyone else done this/have any suggestions other than a big round eye bolt I can try?

Edit: okay so it looks like there are some black rapid products that do this exact same thing for about 18 bucks (and a couple knockoffs for cheaper). Guess any of those will work better than what I've got.

Yeah it's hard to picture what you're talking about. Either way, it sounds like a blackrapid is what you're looking for. I know I'm going to sound like a spokesman here but not only are they comfortable, they give you very quick access to your camera and don't get in your way when shooting. I like to think of it as the gunslinger's camera strap.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Same here. I've had a big rear end carry everything backpack for a few years now but I never take it out shooting. Don't get me wrong, I use it, but it's mostly for keeping all my stuff together and getting it in the car.

For the past couple years I've mostly been flying with a single lens attached (mostly my 70-200) on a black rapid. This has been fine but I do find myself neglecting my 8-16 and 17-50 because I don't have them on me. I think I'll be pretty happy if I could just have a bag to carry the three lenses together and a few accessories. I just picked up a thinktank retrospective 20.

So far so good but it does feel heavy when I load it up. However, I think I'll get use to it. I also feel like strap is too short (I have a long torso) but maybe it's something I'll get used to as well.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I've been using my 13-year-old Kipling school backpack as a camera bag. I've been considering a new one, since the current one fits like a laundry bag and feels increasingly uncomfortable as I put more stuff into it. Fiddling with water bottles sucks (during summer the water gets plenty warm too) and there's no place for a hydration reservoir. Also it's basically impossible to strap a tripod into the bag.

So I started looking for a new one, and accidentally stumbled upon Source hydration and MOLLE system :D And found out this bag:

In theory it feels pretty much perfect. Admittedly it's 1kg heavier (excluding the reservoir), but if since it's supposed to be a lot more comfortable to carry, the weight shouldn't be a problem. Loads of room and adjustability, possible to expand easily with all kinds of molle pouches, many places to strap a light tripod to... what could go wrong? The bag itself even isn't that expensive when you consider the price includes a 3L reservoir.

Does anyone here have experience with tactical camera bags? Not sure if it's a good or an awful idea :D

Depends on what gear you need to haul. I have a day hike bag very similar to that one. It's a great bag for what it is but I don't find it very useful for camera gear. Cameras and lenses stick out awkwardly. I'd look for something that is made for camera gear.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

powderific posted:

F-stop and Clik Elite make backpacks that are more geared towards hiking and have space for other stuff. F-Stop also makes padded, zippered inserts for their own bags that'd work well with other bags too (they're pricy though.)

That F-Stop stuff looks pretty cool. I've been searching for a good backpack/photobag to do a hike in/hike out overnight camping trip.

Musket posted:

I just cant stop hatin on this bag. It looks horrible for back country use. Maybe they would loan me one for a review since I have about 200miles of PCT to cover this summer. Just kidding, that looks like it wouldn't make it 10 miles before it got uncomfortable.

Do you bring camera gear? What do you use?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mclifford82 posted:

I think this is genius: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043D2L6Q

Lens 'holster' that expands when open to two compartments for swapping caps/filters one-handed or when there's no solid surface around.

I had that thing and it was alright but I like the messenger bag better. Actually, i still have it and it's in great shape. If you're interested I can post up in the selling thread.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Any suggestions for a bag for carrying misc. poo poo like extra strobes, wires, batteries, etc..? I have a thinktank retrospective 20 which can hold most of my gear, however I like to use it when walking around and I don't need everything in the bag at the same time.

Also I'm looking for a good bag that will hold a tripod, a couple light stands, and a few modifiers. I see some stuff on BH and but I don't know what's good. I might just wait until I can get to a camera store in person.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

At the risk of looking like a survivalist nutjob, there's this. The original milsurp version didn't have the MOLLE loops, so maybe better if you can find it and don't mind green.

I like it! It seems like they want to charge way too much on B&H for light stand bags. They really don't need a lot of protection.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

nm posted:

I really love the poo poo out of my Kata 3N1-33. That is way too big for you, but they make a much smaller version, which might be fine if you need to carry things that aren't camera related.
What I like is that I can use it as a backpack for longer distances and a sling bag for times when you want quick access. Get a used one as apparently Kata (now manfrotto) bag quality has dropped.

Kata's are awesome I had one years ago and I just picked up a new Bumblebee 210 on ebay a couple months ago. I use it as my "I need to carry non photography stuff along with my DSLR bag". It holds my camera and a couple lenses and has room up top for other stuff. I use it for when I have to travel long distances on foot (don't need every piece of gear I have) or if I'm flying somewhere and don't plan on heavy shooting.

Other than that I use my Think Tank Retrospective 20 which holds most of my gear and is comfortable to carry around for a couple hours at a time.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah for the retrospective I don't think it's a big deal or makes it less secure. The whole purpose of the top flap seems more like it's just there to keep crap out than stuff in. The only time it stops things from falling out is when you put in your car or whatever so stuff doesn't roll out. For that purpose it's more than adequate.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I want to get a roller case, mostly for my lighting gear which is a ranger quadra kit (thanks to red19fire) a couple speedlites, and some small modifiers. Maybe a couple Manfrotto nano stands if their is room. I'd like to get something that's carry on size and I'm debating between a Pelican 1510 with dividers/lid organizer or a ThinkTank Airport Security 2.0. I'm a big fan of ThinkTank but their roller is very expensive (about $415 right now) whereas I can get the Pelican for $245.

The advantages of the Pelican are that it's waterproof, buoyant, crush proof, and I could probably stand on it. It's also heavy and from my understanding holds less gear than the TT. I don't spend a lot of time around water so I'm not too worried about it being water proof. I just want a bag to keep all my lighting gear together and something I can use as a carry on for when I fly across country so I don't have to check my expensive gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I use a black rapid which is the same principle, and I can say it's much better attached upside down to the tripod mount. When a camera is hung on sling like that on a sliding carabiner, it allows you to "quick draw" and get the camera to your face very quickly. Also, at least on my dslrs, the tripod mount is the best place to keep the camera balanced so it doesn't swing wildly. You'll probably want to have your lens facing out so it doesn't constantly poke you in the side. Just be careful when you're navigating tight/crowded areas.

I can't speak to gordy's but my black rapid is comfortable as hell. I have no issues carrying around a 6D + a 70-200 2.8 IS II (about 5lbs of kit) walking around all day in the hot Florida summer. Conversely, the other day I borrowed a Leica M with a 50 f/2 for the day and used the provided neck strap. After walking around all day with that setup, my neck was killing me.

• Locked thread