Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

I love seeing this reaction, because I always feel like such a jackass trying to explain why I love mine so much.

"It's like a strap, man, but it goes ACROSS your body, and it hangs upside down and you can just slide it up whenever... no, really, it's worth the $50, I swear!"

Maybe I just need to learn better persuasive argument.

The only argument I needed was to actually try it at the local camera store. I was immediately sold, tho I think I overpaid by about 10 bucks or so.

I just ordered the Fastpack 350 from B & H along with some filters. I realized today that I definitely needed a back that can fit my MacBook and my camera securely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

It's a big metal Manfrotto plate.

The camera hangs from the D ring which is attached to the piece that screws into the socket on the camera, basically the same as the R strap's connector.

I haven't tried this yet, but I don't use my tripod enough to warrant leaving the plate attached.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Photex posted:

yeah, there is def some protection in the bag, like i said everything fits really snug I wouldn't be scared to take my gear out in the bag. That being said i'm about to post it on SA-Mart, I don't need two bags but I could use the money to fill my lowepro :x

that really looks like the Canon backpack, though smaller, with some small alterations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

^^^^ My Lowepro is like that and it's nice, but the bag overall is too bulky for everyday use. Only run into problems if I want to switch lenses quickly. Which leads me to ask:

What's a decent shoulder bag for walking around Europe without broadcasting that "I have a lot of money invested in the contents of my bag"? Perhaps something that can also carry a 13in MacBook?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

OneZeroSix posted:

Someone posted this bag in the Canon thread:

Ona Union Station Bag

I thought it'd make a good post here because of how nice it looks; and to ask if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative that can keep up with its styling? This is the only camera bag I've seen that doesn't scream "Steal my expensive camera stuff!" It's $280 so if I can't find something similar I may have to try modding a cheaper shoulder bag (or buy it, it's so nice).

e: added a pic of interior

This is exactly the type of bag I've been looking for. I bought Lowepro's Classified 250 - and while a great bag, still a bit too big for me for an everyday bag. I might have to sell it off and get this instead.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

keyframe posted:

I have a black rapid question. Does anyone here wear it with a backpack at the same time? Does it still work fine?

For me, yes to both. I'm 6'1 and my backpack is just above my belt and my camera hangs at about my hip - just lower than my belt. I've also done the same with a shoulder bag, but they hang about the same length and bump into each other if they're on the same side

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Lege posted:

Re: sling bags, camera + grip:

I've done a bit of research and I've found confirmation that the Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW, Tamrac Evolution 8 and Tenba Shootout Medium bags can fit a gripped camera through the side port. No word on other bags which I find to be disappointing. The Lowepro is the cheapest of these but it looks like rear end. The Tamrac isn't a dedicated sling bag, it has this weird 3-in-1 configuration that makes me worry about ergonomics. It also looks like rear end. Tenba is a bit of an unknown brand but the bag looks nice enough. Considering this I'll probably end up with Lowepro since Tenba's not available in my country.

I recently bought the Lowepro Passport sling. It's small light and comfortable. A little odd with the RS-7, but manageable if one is over one shoulder and the camera over the other. The second compartment can hold a multitude of odds and ends, perhaps even an iPad. I usually have my flash and another small lens (usually my 50 1.4) with the divider separating the two or with my hat and gloves. This compartment is expandable if you want to add in a few more items.

Some cons though:

Deceptively small and not very configurable. Comes with a removable shell with only one divider in it and the divider is limited to where it can be placed. Without the divider, the shell does hold my camera, grip, strap and 24L comfortably. With the 24-70, not so much, even with the hood reversed it's a little tight.

Overall, I like it for its simplicity and size and because it just works for what I currently need from a camera bag.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Haggins posted:

I have a "carry all the poo poo I own" backpack right now, which serves its purpose of bringing my gear with me to a base of operations or short walking distances. However, I'm now finding a need for a "I'm going to walk a lot and I just want a couple lenses and a flash" bag.

So I normally walk around with my 50D attached to a 70-200 2.8 IS II on a black rapid. I'd like to carry that around then have something that can hold a couple lenses (probably a 8-16 and 17-50) and a flash along with a few small accessories (filters, 2x extender,etc..). I probably won't need to throw the camera in the bag but I would like to throw the 70-200 in there when it's not mounted to the camera.

I have this and it's great and inconspicuous http://www.lowepro.com/passport-sling-feature - I wear it opposite my black rapid

I usually have my 50L on camera and in the bag: 24L, 135L, 580exII as well as other small odds and ends. The 70-200 could fit easily in there in place of one of the lenses.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Picked up an Ona Prince Street that arrived today. I can't stop looking at it or smelling it. I wish I had found out that it existed long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

RangerScum posted:

I have one of these too, and it's a great bag, but jesus christ the strap is so horrible. I need to get some aftermarket thing to improve it. drat shame I can't just remove it.

I sort of agree after a week or so. It's really great when I just have one lens, body and perhaps my ipad. Add a 2nd or 3rd lens (especially something like the 70-200) and it really digs into your shoulder. The pad on the strap could be a bit thicker / softer for a more comfortable fit.

• Locked thread