Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I got a Pelican 1510 with dividers today. It feels sturdy, has plenty of handles, and the wheels are a nice touch. So far so good, hard to say only owning it an hour. I also got a Blackrapid RS-4 and as was mentioned earlier in the thread, the mount gets in the way when I'm using the battery grip. Seeing as I use the grip constantly, I think I might need to find another option. If only there was a way just to attach it to the strap mounts instead of the tripod mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

How stupid is my current plan to stash my two smaller lenses (Pentax DA 18-55 and FA 35-80) in one belt-attachable lens bag, end-to-end? I like keeping my telephoto zoom on the body in the holster, and I'd like to have my other lenses reasonably accessible. Am I going to destroy my lenses this way?

As long as they have caps on them and don't move around a lot it shouldn't be an issue. Where do you put the long telephoto when you switch lenses though?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

TeMpLaR posted:

Is this the wrong place to ask about lighting bags? Need suggestions on one that will hold three alienbees. Under $200.

I have been really satisfied with the bags that you get right from Paul C. Buff. They are like $12.95 and fit everything that comes with a light. They aren't that padded, but I'm not usually walking long distances with them. Lights seem like one of those items you need to move from your studio to your car and from your car to a location that's probably a few feet inside anyway. I own 4 B800s and haven't felt the need to buy another container for them yet. If you really wanted something to protect the hell out of them I would say you could fit 2 lights in a Pelican 1550 which would cost you about $150. The larger pelican cases tend to get over $200 pretty quickly. The reason I jump straight to pelicans is its probably the only case I can think of that I would feel alright kicking around with a couple alienbees in them.

The one bag that I have found protects the hell out of my lights is a sandbag. Seriously, if you don't have any go make some. My wife made ours out of leftover fabric and rice.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I've had my Pelican 1510 case for about 3 months now, and I'm feeling motivated enough to write a thorough review.

The case is made entirely from Copolymer Polypropylene Structural Resin, also known as plastic. Empty it weighs a somewhat hefty 13 pounds. With gear in it it's a bit closer to 50, but that's why it has wheels. Pelican says it will float with up to 39.9lbs in it, so I guess I'm pushing it a bit.

The retractable handle and wheels make it pretty easy to drag around. One major complaint I have is that I got a piece of gravel stuck in that hole near the bottom of the case, the retractable handle doesn't go all the way down any more and doesn't lock. It looks like an easy fix if I want to take the 10 screws that hold the back together out. It really kind of bugs me because pelican makes 10 minute videos where you can set the case on fire, throw it off a bridge into a harbor, drag it out, run it over with a truck and it's still good to go. Don't drag it through a 5 foot patch of gravel though!

Most importantly the case will hold a crap load of stuff. I can basically just pack it up for whatever I am doing. One case of stuff will pretty much get me through a wedding. It's super convenient to be able to just grab it and go. I find that I am less likely to leave anything behind. I usually will leave the case in my car and bring my old Lowepro Nova 2 and change out the lenses and stuff that I think I might need throughout the day. The 1510 is definitely not for hiking.

The fact that it is water tight is also awesome. I can take it to outside shoots even at the beach and I don't have to worry about sand or water blowing into my equipment as long as I remember to latch the lid. The latches can be a bit finicky at times. Sometimes they close easily, and other times its a bitch for no reason. It is also somewhat easy to pinch yourself with them.

As for some more complaints. When I first bought the case I got the lid organizer with it, but without the foam in the lid the case seemed kind of useless as protection for things that are made of glass. Stairs and sand (and gravel) mean you are carrying a very heavy package. The retractable handle feels a bit flimsy. My biggest complaint overall is that I liked the case so much that I bought another one.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

psylent posted:

I got the Black Radid RS-7 arse trap. Used it yesterday on an 8 hour wedding shoot and absolutely love the poo poo out of it.

I love mine. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried the piece that connects two together? I often find myself carrying 2 bodies at events and often get strangled by crossing two of them over my chest.

• Locked thread