Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Has anyone had any experience with the Burton Zoom Pack?

http://www.zappos.com/burton-zoom-pack-black

I want a pack I can hike with to locations and this seems like the perfect fit for me. It has to fit 2-3 bodies plus film and maybe some snacks or whatever. In other words, enough to do a shoot if I choose to make it the only thing I bring out into teh field with me, but not any larger than it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

DJExile posted:

Given the dimensions, if that big lower section is entirely for camera gear, then you should be good in terms of size. What kind of bodies/lenses would you have?

Yeah, the lower section has a detachable section with dividers for bodies and lenses.
I'm hoping to use it for the R8- probably with the 180 attached, R4 body, 2 additional lenses, Rolleiflex, and maybe my meter or a speedlight.

I'm going on a shooting trip in a couple of weeks and I'd like to keep my reliance on my heavy rear end Pelican case to a minimum.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Tincans posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for hand straps?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0F3GPK81DXVP471

I just got that for my Contax rangefinder and I love it. It perfectly matches the lightweight feel of the camera. Also, you can unclip it and keep the loop around your wrist when not in use. It's going to come in really handy on photo shoots.

Speaking of new homes for the Contax, I picked up this little guy today as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Caselogic-TBC-305-Camcorder-Case-Black/dp/B001T0HXRS

That picture makes it look a lot bigger than it really is. It's about the size of a fingers-spread hand. Holds the camera w/lens plus another lens. Rangefinder stuff is small, so finding a divided case that actually fit it well was tough. It comes with a shoulder strap but my plan is to just throw it in my messenger bag or backpack.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

As a follow-up to my past last page, I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/Caselogic-TBC-305-Camcorder-Case-Black/dp/B001T0HXRS
yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it. I doubt I'll ever carry it around by itself, but I wanted to have something to throw in a bag or pack. It also had to offer more protection than the typical P&S case and have room to carry the camera with a lens attached, plus an additional lens.

Something as tiny as a rangefinder and lenses present a real interesting set of requirements for safe travel/storage.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I bought the 2010 Burton Zoom Pack 28L a few weeks ago for a shooting trip I was going on and I wanted to share a review about it.
http://www.amazon.com/Burton-Zoom-Pack-B8U553010-Black/dp/B000VTJQFA
I REALLY love this backpack, it's so much more versatile and comfortable than anything else I looked at. Especially in the price range. I found mine on Ebay for $90, new.

There are probably a few things on here that are different than a typical camera bag, because this one is for snowboarding, and it actually has straps to carry a snowboard as well!

Click here for the full 525x700 image.

The front of the bag. This is a 28 liter volume backpack, so it's pretty big. What I like about it is that unlike some of the larger packs from the dedicated photo pack companies, it doesn't stick out a foot and a half off my back. It's remarkably compact for how much it holds. The little red loop is to hold a small tripod.

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

The left side of the pack. That pocket sticking out is the perfect size to hold my light meter in its little Tenba soft case. Above it is a deep, slim pocket to hold an umbrella. I have a tube of sunscreen in there.

The other side. A pocket for a bottle of drink, and another one of those deep pockets.

The outermost pocket on the front doens't have a zipper to secure it. I stick my reflector in there. It's sticking out in this picture, but it goes all the way in.

Right above that is the big gaping maw of a pocket where I keep all my film. I have about 30 rolls in there and I could throw more in if I needed to.

2 more pockets above the film one. The black-lined one is where I stow a speedlight and radio triggers. Above that, in the red pocket, I can throw my Contax rangefinder camera in its case. There's also enough room for an extra tool or two. On the other side if the mesh pocket I can stash a bunch of the various batteries I need for cameras, triggers, meter and speedlights.

The back side. Lots of padding.

Opened up to reveal the gear pocket. 2 more mesh pockets for various supplies on the back of the flap. This is where a laptop computer can be stored as well.

Inside the gear pocket. Space for 2 35mm SLR bodies, 2 regular sized 35mm lenses, a 180mm SLR lens, a Rolleiflex TLR, and a Bronica ETRs 645 with a 150mm lens. The camera straps in there are obscuring quite a bit of that, but it's all in there.

The gear pocket is also its own separate take-away unit, complete with a shoulder strap!

So that's what I'm hauling out into the field these days. If you lost count, it carries 5 camera bodies, and 7 lenses for me, as well as loads of other supplies and gear. All in a comfortable, low-profile package.

The bad news is, it's discontinued now, but can still be found online pretty readily. Burton has a 2011 model out now, but it's slightly different. Still though, if it's as well-made and useful as this one is, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 4, 2010

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Well I'm a bit disappointed. A few months back I exchanged emails with one of the design guys at Timbuk2 and he suggested that they were coming out with a messenger bag that also had a small space for a compact camera (rangefinder, in my case). He said they'd be releasing something in the New Year and well, no, they didn't.

It's a messenger style bag that carries camera gear and nothing else. Just like every other messenger style bag out there. :(

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/limited-edition/snoop-camera-messenger

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

If you're on your feet for any length at all I strongly recommend getting a backpack no matter how dorky it looks. As neat as messenger style bags are they can really murder your back.

I have a backpack that I wear when I ride my bike to work. I also have that bigass Burton backpack that I schlep out to locations.
I really just want a messenger bag to hold my random things when I'm out on the town not necessarily shooting. My Contax plus an extra lens weighs barely a pound. I just want a protective area in a general-use bag for tossing it in so I have it with me if I see a decisive moment. I'm still just amazed that no one makes a storage bag with a small protective compartment. It seems so obvious, but I guess there's no demand for it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Ah, I get you. Have you looked into maybe just getting a padded bag/pouch as an insert?

I've looked at a lot of inserts, but even those seem to be for camera-specific bags. Have you seen any with a sealed top? I wouldn't want to just toss a camera into something and have it fall out because I'm an idiot. I can just see the situation in which I'd pick up a messenger bag with the flap open and my Contax comes tumbling out of an unsealed insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

sensy v2.0 posted:

I've ordered one of these ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170518115936#ht_8223wt_907 ), because it looks decent enough for the money. There are a lot of similar in different sizes on eBay.

I haven't recieved it yet though, so it might be complete poo poo.

Man, that's really close. I'll have to check their store to see if they have anything more custom-fitted to a rangefinder. Thanks!

• Locked thread