Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
What's a good tripod bag to get for a Manfrotto 190xprob+498RC2? Something I can take hiking and on a plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I got a Kata 465i and went hiking with it last week. It's a smaller version of the same backpack line, no laptop pouch and doesn't fit as much gear, but it's more than enough for my NEX and a few lenses with other assorted crap. The quality is absolutely loving awesome, it's solid as hell and very nicely made.

Comfort is a personal preference but I had no issues at all while hiking around with this backpack for 5-6 hours. It's well padded, the straps are nice and comfortable (not too narrow or wide). There's a pocket with a pouch on the side that fits a water bottle nicely, or you can put a small tripod there and secure it with a strap at the top.

Not sure how a larger version going to feel with a lot of gear though, sounds like you have about 5 times as much weight to lug around. It's definitely a quality product though, and if my experience is any indication then ergonomics should be pretty good in the 467i as well.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

The lower compartment that is actually for the camera stuff is completely fine in terms of padding. I got a Crumpler bag before but returned it for the 465i, and there was maybe a bit more padding in that bag but overall not that different. This backpack isn't designed to protect your gear against everything, but it should withstand the usual bumping and tossing around. There's padding material all around the gear, so it's really a padded removable pouch with adjustable dividers. If you want to base jump into a pile of rocks you might want to look into some armored suitcases or something.

The top compartment doesn't have any padding, but has pockets of various sizes to store supplies and other stuff. Other pockets aren't padded either. 467i has a laptop section which I assume will be padded.

Again, I'm not sure how this will work with more/larger gear. My NEX and its lenses are tiny, so there's a ton of space left around them. Your stuff will probably fill the whole thing out.

• Locked thread