Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

DJExile posted:

I'm looking for a new bag that can be a good all-around (usually walkaround or maybe at a sporting event) that could hold my E-30 with either a 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 or the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD I'm saving for, along with a 40-150 and my 25mm pancake. After a generic small Promaster square bag and Lowepro Inverse beltpack thing, I think it's about time I join you folks with messenger-type bags.

Crumpler bags seem nice but I've heard they don't have that much padding, and to my knowledge there aren't pads on the seatbelt-looking shoulder straps, but I may be wrong there.

Aside from things like the Crumpler _ Million Dollar Home, and the new ThinkTank Retrospectives (I'd like something with a pretty inconspicuous look), is there anything else I should be looking at?

I have a 7 Million Dollar Home and I can tell you it has a ton of padding and plenty of space, it held my D80, the kit 18-55, my Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, and my Nikon SB-600 flash. It still had room with how I had it set up for another couple of lenses, another flash and probably another body. The padding is plenty thick enough and there is a shoulder pad on the seatbelt looking shoulder strap.

It really is a great bag and I recommend them to anyone, unfortunately I think I am going to sell it and go to a back pack :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Does anyone use a R-Strap connected to the neck strap mount on thier camera instead of the tripod mount? I want to pick one up for my D700 but with the battery grip attached thats going to be super uncomfortable

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

kefkafloyd posted:

Attaching it to the neck strap defeats the purpose.

If you get one with the new Fastenr-3 it should be much better to use with a battery grip.

I was talking about connecting it to just a single mount for the neck strap not both sides, but your right the fastener-3 looks like it would make it a bit more comfortable.

edit: I think you mean the fastenr-2? the one with the rubber washer?

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 27, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

kefkafloyd posted:

No, I mean the fastener-3. Both it and the -2 have the rubber washer. The -3 doesn't have the movable D-ring and is much lower profile than the fastener-2.

And I meant the neck strap attachment points; I guess I was being too quick to reply.

Oh ok well thats good then Because I ordered a RS-7 with the fastener-3, hopefully it will work out well.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

HPL posted:

This is what I'm running with my RS-7 right now. It works well and it makes the camera hang so that the camera is almost in perfect position to grab. And you can't beat it for price.

If I'm holding the camera by the battery grip I can either put my hand underneath the strap or I can grab the strap between my hand and the grip.

I wish that was an option, Nikon was nice enough to not put a strap ring on the batttery grip for the D700, Im going to play with it a bit when my grip gets here, without the grip the default mounting position is fine for now.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
For those of you with Think Tank retrospective bags what does the material feel like?

I like my Crumpler 7Mill but the material is a bit stiff i guess is the word, is the retrospective soft to the touch?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
If you only have what you described in your post you might be better off with the Retrospective 20. Heres another goons review on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298813&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post377022726

Alternately if you decide to get the 30 I am sure the padding and everything would be exactly the same just bigger so the review is still valid.

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 25, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

MrBlandAverage posted:

Next month I'm going to Bhutan and I'm taking my 5DII, 17-40, 24-105, and 70-200 f/2.8. I'm looking to get a camera bag that fits all of that, plus batteries and memory, without too much extra room. I have a Domke J1 and love it, but it's just too big for just what I'm taking with me, and the lid and front pockets aren't quite as secure as I'd like for this type of trip.

I also have a Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home (old style, without the velcro silencer) for a walkaround bag and love it, so I'm thinking a 5 or 6 Million Dollar Home might be the way to go. However, none of the reviewers on cambags.com have the 70-200 f/2.8, just the 70-200 f/4. Anybody with a 5 or 6MDH that can comment on the vertical fit of the 70-200 f/2.8 (preferably with reversed hood)? The 7MDH seems like it's almost as big as my Domke.

I'm also open to other ideas, of course. I prefer shoulder bags...

I have the 7MDH and it fits a Nikon D700, SB900 flash, 70-200 f2.8, 35-70, 50mm, and 35mm with room to spare and it really isnt super huge, by looking at the pictures of your Domke I would say it is smaller by a decent margin

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Question for guys with strobes, what cases do you recommend for 2or 3 alien bees, and a vegabond mini? Extra rom for reflectors and possibly an umbrella or two would be nice but I can make due without. Ease of movement (wheels and a handle) is important.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Colonel K posted:

I've come upon a problem to which I can't seem to think of a fair solution. I have recently purchased a 70-200 2.8 vr to go on my D700 primarily for air to ground photography. The vast majority of my shooting is done from a 2'4" wide cockpit, and with the control stick between my legs which needs complete freedom of movement that really doesn't leave much space.
I'm looking for a strap which is secure but will let me either sit it on my leg or keep it out of the way without feeling heavy or intrusive over maybe a 1-2 hr flight.
I'd rather something that could be kept on all the time especially as I often fly with the door / window open. Any suggestions?

One of the Black Rapid r-straps?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I used one for a while and it worked very well, but I find myself setting my camera down a lot to do things so I went back to the old strap

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
A lot of down time at wedding receptions when people are eating and such, not to mention I typically don't wear the strap anyways I just double it over and put my hand through it to hold on to the camera. Personal preference I suppose, just worked out easier to use the stock strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

atomicthumbs posted:

Unfortunately for me my camera uses little strap pivot rivets instead of ordinary rings because Mamiya just has to be different :(

Post a picture of the pivot I am sure we can figure something out, some people use paracord.

• Locked thread