Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rot
Apr 18, 2005

For those considering a Kata 3n1, here's my experiences after owning a 3n1-22 for a few days.

Coming from a Crumpler 7 Million, which I liked and used for years but it was time for a change.

I don't have the layout in the Kata totally set up exactly how I want it but for now it carries:

40d + grip
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro + a set of Kenko extension tubes
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
430exII

In the main compartment. Any combination of body + lens works, although the 70-200 on the body is a tight fit and I have to reverse the hood. No biggie.

The top compartment carries spare CF cards, Radio Poppers, a mini blower, my Sigma ring flash, spare batteries, and I managed to stuff my sunglasses case in there as well. Side pockets hold lens caps, a little notepad and pen, lens cloths, and the rain cover.

I don't have a netbook but I put my e-reader in the netbook pocket. This was a great idea since it turned out I spent a lot of time waiting for my always-late brother. :argh:

The above is somewhat typical of what I'd carry around in the Crumpler (minus the ring flash) and was quite heavy for a shoulder bag.

As a Shoulder Bag
As expected, the load was heavy and I found myself getting sore and tired after a while. The straps are nicely padded, so that helps. Quick access to the main compartment via the sides worked as advertised, with very little fiddling around.

The bag wasn't as easy to slip off as a messenger style bag, because I found I had to cinch the strap down somewhat tight to keep the load balanced (more on this later). I wear glasses and a hat and usually have no problem flipping the Crumpler up and over my head, but the Kata was a bit more troublesome. I adapted - I found that if you firmly grip the strap with one hand and release the buckle, the bag naturally swings off your shoulder.

Possible modification: the waist strap helped steady the bag but I found myself wishing for an option to clip it to the strap going over my shoulder, like my bike courier bag. If I can find the right clip, I'm going to try that out.

As a Backpack (crossed straps)
This method of wearing the bag I was most interested in, as it promised the load carrying ease of a backpack, with the quick access convenience of a shoulder bag. For the most part it worked well, except the point where straps cross tends to ride up and sit just at my neck, which was really uncomfortable. And again, the straps had to be cinched pretty tight to keep things balanced.

Possible modification: building on the alternate clip idea, if I could add something to keep the cross point down over my sternum, then this method would be ideal.

As a Backpack (straight straps)
This is how I ended up wearing the bag for the majority of the day and was the least "exciting" method for doing so. But it worked. The biggest issue I had, in all modes but worse here, is that the straps had to be cinched pretty tight to keep the bag balanced properly. And cinching wasn't easiest due to where the tensioners are: down at the bottom attachment point instead of up at the top like a normal backpack. This means you have to pull the strap up to tighten which is a lot harder than pulling it downwards. If I didn't have the bag real tight, the bottom would rest on my belt and the top would pull away from my body, making the load seem a lot heavier. The straps also liked to separate and pull off my shoulders. Carrying a tripod with the optional holder will make both these problems worse.

Possible modification: this mode needs a sternum strap.

In conclusion, I like the bag, but it needs a few tweaks before I love the bag. Adding buckles and straps does seem to sacrifice some of the convenience but I'm willing to deal with an extra buckle or two if it means I'm comfortable walking around all day.

Rot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Update on my Kata 3n1-22, if anyone cares.

I finally got things pretty well laid out, this is what I can carry:
40d + grip
70-200mm f/4L
17-50mm f/2.8
105mm f/2.8 + extension tubes
50mm f/1.8
a goofy home-made tilt-shift lens
430exII + diffuser + package of gels
Radio Poppers
blower
mem card wallet and reader
rain cover
spare batteries for everything
various adapters, lens covers, usb & sync cords, lens cloth, etc
iPod, ear buds, ear plugs
Sony 300 eReader
and I can stuff my ring flash in there if I really want to.

All this is somewhat easy to access, or at least the important bits: my camera and lenses. Usually my camera is around my neck, but it's really nice to be able to swing the pack around and quickly pop the camera inside when it's time to jump on the bus/train or whatever. It's also pretty comfortable when riding my bike.

The the above is a heavy load but it can be done in relative comfort (typically I'm not carrying EVERYTHING, but it's nice to know I can). I went to the local outdoor outfitters and grabbed a handful of misc straps, cinches, and buckles to fabricate the strap mods I mentioned in my earlier post. In sling-mode with the waist strap coming up to my sternum, the above can be carried really easily and it solved the problem of the pack not wanting to stick close to my shoulders. Using the opposite buckle on the other strap, backpack mode (cross or regular) works great too.

I'm considering either getting the tripod carrying add-on or more likely just make one myself.

I'm pretty picky about backpacks and, with a few minor nondestructive mods, this Kata bag is a keeper for sure.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

jsmith114 posted:

I am trying to decide between the Think Tank Retrospective 10 and 20. I know the 20 is designed to fit a 70-200/f2.8 attached to the camera, but I am interested in fitting a 70-200/f4 attached to a gripped 40d. Will the slightly smaller 70-200/f4 fit attached to the camera in the retrospective 10 or should I go for the 20?

Just to add to what's already been said, I can fit my 1d + 70-200/f4 with no trouble in my Retrospective 10. It does stick out a tiny little bit but the top flap is pretty long so it covers things easily.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

For any of you backpackers/skiers out there, I'd like to recommend the Clik Elite Contrejour 35.

While I really liked the look of the F-Stop bags, this Clik Elite bag was always lurking as second choice. I needed a new bag for ski touring, summer backpacking, and a trip to Peru in the fall. I saw that the Clik Elite was on sale on amazon.ca for 49% off (making it $173.54 CDN!) so I jumped on it. [NOTE: I just checked and it's still on sale!]

This is an excellent, high quality pack, and I would be totally happy at full price. Getting it on sale has put me over the moon when it comes to this bag.

Solid materials, well-placed straps and buckles, and decent design in terms of pockets and such. Most important: it carries and skis excellently.

So far I've taken it on one road trip, a couple afternoons snowshoeing, and two full day ski tours.

This is what I take with me skiing:
- 1d, 70-300L, 17-40L, mem card wallet, spare battery, lens pen, blower
- shovel, probe, snow saw, snow study kit
- map, guidebook, compass, first aid kit, emergency overnight stuff
- tools, binding repair kit, climbing skins
- extra clothing, goggles, helmet, headlamp
- food
- 2L of water (Camel Back bladder)
- misc tiny odds and ends

The photo stuff made that a heavy load and it was tiring lifting it up and off my back at each transition. But once it was on my back, it felt great and carried like a much lighter pack. The bag didn't sway while climbing, nor was it awkward or restrictive on the downhill. The camera gear is held securely and is well padded, I didn't feel the need to ski conservatively.

Interesting that there was still lots of room to cram more stuff in there. I deliberately got the 35L bag over the 40L because I have a tendency to fill my bags right up and then suffer. Also, I think the 35L will just barely meet carry-on restrictions.

The side access for the camera was real handy, except under one condition: if you're bootpacking and carrying your skis a-frame, side access is blocked. But outside of that the side access works great and will keep your ski buddies happy as you can quickly pull out your camera for some shots with minimal farting around.

Some gripes, however:
- the zipper sliders grab the weather sealing ALL THE GODDAMN TIME.
- the main pocket doesn't have compartments for avalanche gear. This means there isn't a separation between wet stuff and dry stuff.
- no real helmet carry system. However, there's lots of little tabs and loops so I'll be shopping for a small net to solve this problem.
- [edit] no pockets on the waist straps.

tl;dr - I love this bag and if you're looking for an outdoors specific pack, take a close look at what Clik Elite has to offer.

Rot fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 25, 2012

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

My God that's expensive :stare:. I just bought a Kata 3N1-30 camera backpack for a third of that price. Well, a little more because I bought the tripod holder accessory as well. I just took it to New York City for a 10 hour day of shooting and it served me well. It felt great the entire day. Is there anything notable that makes it $200 more?

You know the thing about "photo dollars"? That goes for quality outdoors equipment too.

I used to have a 3N1-20 and didn't like it. It was a fine pack but didn't fit me right (I prefer ThinkTank stuff, personal preference blah blah blah) and I eventually sold it.

There is no way in hell I'd bring the Kata on a ski tour. The material isn't right, the size isn't right, and there are no provisions for carrying any non-photo stuff.

I've come to realize that bag choice is a real horses for courses type of thing: each activity you're doing has a specific gear requirement (and now try to add photo gear into the mix) and there's no one do-it-all solution.

Which is why I have a zillion different bags :(

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So I've kinda skimmed over all the talk about the Black Rapid straps in this thread over the last year or too thinking that I understood how it worked and it seemed stupid, but on bird walk yesterday I started complaining about carrying a 100-400mm mounted on a 50D with the factory strap for 5 hours (along with binoculars) and a woman nearby showed me her Black Rapid. In person it was obvious that it was exactly what I was looking for so now I'm in the market.

Is it worth looking at any of the third party clones? $50 for the RS-4 is pretty pricey but if it's the difference between having my camera and lens drop on rocks I'm guessing I should bite the bullet.

Personally I thought the Black Rapid strap was too bulky and giving up the tripod screw was a pain in the rear end sometimes.

I made my own using an old laptop bag strap and clip, then went down to an outfitter store (Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Canada - REI if you're in the States) and got some climbing cord and various fittings to make it all work.

Tied the cord through the stock strap loops, put a strong split ring through that, clipped the strap to the ring. It slides just like the Black Rapid strap design, it's easy to clip and unclip, my tripod screw is always available, and the cord + ring doesn't get in the way of holding my camera in portrait.

Seems plenty strong, I've been carrying a 1D + 70-300mm on it for years.

Edit:

Rot fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 20, 2012

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

Blackrapids are worth every cent. Their earlier hardware had some bugs, but they've done a very good job refining it.

Don't get me wrong, the BR strap is a really great product and an awesome idea. I just found the strap to be too bulky (as in the padding on the strap itself). I thought it was uncomfortable around my neck and it was a pain when folding up into a bag.

kefkafloyd posted:

Though for your setup you would be much better served putting the collar on the lens and attaching the strap to that.

Unfortunately Canon wants something ridiculous for the tripod ring (like $180 - $200 CDN) so I don't have one yet. And that wouldn't solve my issues when using other lenses.

Anyways, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying out the BR. Quite the opposite, actually. The core idea is awesome and absolutely worth a try.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Manos posted:

Does anyone have any recent experience with the Dakine sequence? How is the space in the bag with the camera insert in it, etc., etc., etc.

I had a Sequence for a while (until it got stolen...fortunately none of my gear was in it at the time). Personally I like Dakine packs but found the Sequence be merely ok. Enough to carry my gripped 40D, 70-200mm f/4L, nifty 50, maybe another lens, plus accessories, extra batteries, flash, etc. There was just enough room left over for a few non-camera stuff...enough for maybe a day trip hike if you pack light. I never got a chance to take it skiing so I don't know if there is enough room to pack all the avalanche gear and other stuff you'd need...I really doubt it.

It seemed to carry really well although access was sort of a pain in the rear end since you had to remove the pack and unzip the backpiece to get at your gear. Not a bad design, mind you, since it keeps the opening out of the dirt or snow.

I've used this for over a year now and think it's great:
http://www.clikelite.com/products/contrejour-35/

EDIT: I should note that the Clik-Elite also has the backpiece access point but it has the side access port as well which helps immensely. Any time you can avoid removing your pack then heave it back on is saved energy and really helps on a long hike or backcountry ski trip. It also had tonnes of other zippers and access points for your non-camera stuff...which I can't remember if the Sequence did or not.

Rot fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 22, 2012

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Suggestions for a small backpack that doesn't scream I HAVE A CAMERA PLEASE MUG ME?

I want to take my camera on a day hike in a touristy area and I think a messenger bag/sling type would get annoying flopping around at my side (unless someone can suggest a sling that isn't floppy). I just got my first DSLR so I don't have too much stuff to put in it, just the body and a couple lenses.

I use F-Stop Gear's ICUs for this exact purpose.

http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/icu.html

They aren't super cheap and aren't very good for rapid camera deployment but they do a great job of containing my poo poo on the run.

(now if I could only convince them to sell me a backpack that isn't back-ordered to hell :argh: )

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

caberham posted:

If you carry a Leica and a Billingham then you might get mugged. Otherwise no one really cares about your "DSLR".

Honestly, in my experiences from South America to sketchy big city North American neighbourhoods to weird communities up north, this has proven true more often than not.

Consider convenient ways to carry your stuff, first and foremost. You should probably have your camera out and ready to shoot and in that case everyone knows you have pricey camera poo poo.

Same goes for putting gaff over the Canon or Nikon logos, imo.

Jesus, I'm talking like I think I'm Robert Capa or Jim Natchwey.

caberham posted:

The Kata slings aren't floppy but their recent product lineup is ho-hum. Manfrotto makes decent slings but their shoulder straps suck. Guess I'm just used to messenger bags and shortening the strap.

I'm convinced that the Kata 3n1 I was wearing at the time is responsible for me displacing a tendon in my foot the day before my wedding. Can't recommend them, sorry.

I go through bags like crazy...I'm never happy with them. For straight up camera transport in an urban environment and on my bike, I haven't found a better combo than the F-Stop ICUs I mentioned earlier and a real bike messenger bag left over from when I was an actual bike messenger (PAC Designs, for anyone interested).

For anything else it's Think Tank Retrospectives (or Urban Disguises if I'm moving through airports).

Edit: I should say, that I only use the ICU and regular backpack combo when I'm doing something like backcountry skiing or mountain biking or hiking or whatever. In these cases, carrying essential stuff is more important than comfortably carrying my camera nonsense. I've tried a couple "adventure" oriented bags (but not F-Stop because I can't seem to buy one) and they've all fallen short either in the camera-carry department or the backpack department.

Rot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 9, 2015

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

caberham posted:

Pretty much, but the tape is great when people like to comment on your camera model. A 5D? WHAT? YOU KNOW THE 5D3 IS ALREADY OUT? OMG A 1DX WOW YOU HAVE SO MUCH MONEY! OH YOU SHOOT CANON? WELL YOU KNOW NIKONS ARE BETTER FOR PORTRAITS :suicide: gently caress those guys, they don't even grip the cameras properly and squint their eyes going through the viewfinder or keep the autofocus beep on.

Yeah ok that's a legit reason to tape over the logos.

Back when I was a 1D user ( :smug: ) I could trump the clowns but now...anyways gently caress those guys.

Seriously, gently caress those guys.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Danoss posted:

Once again, I'm sorry if I sound like a shill for F-Stop. They're the only camera bag company I've come across where it seems they actually use the bags they make. I've tried alternatives from Lowepro, Crumpler, and Think Tank and only the latter makes a bag I like in the Retrospective series.

I'm right there with you, brother.

After going through a few backpacks meant for skiing/biking/hiking, I've never had an F-Stop bag. Twice now my Paypal payment has timed-out (30 days, I think?) because they were back-ordered.

I love Think Tank for general use, but I'm constantly searching for the right bag for backcountry ski/bike/hike nonsense.

My posts here and on flickr don't reflect it but I absolutely need something that can carry camera things and the essential backcountry stuff. Since I drink a lot of beer and sit in front of a computer too much, I'm fat and slow and yet I'm also the Photographer on our stupid trips. This means I'm constantly searching for the right pack to carry the essentials (WATER, plus avalanche gear and extra layers plus emergency stuff in the winter or basically the same stuff in the summer) and my camera crap. And I need it to be comfortable and easy to carry.

The closest I've came so far is the Clik-Elite Contrejour 35 (http://clikelite.com/product/backpacks/new-2014-contrejour-35/). It served me well enough I suppose but 3 weeks in Peru/Bolivia did it in and was a kind of lovely pack for skiing. The zippers are now destroyed, it couldn't easily hold shovel/probe/saw for avi work, and it was heavy.

It had pretty good access to the camera but frankly sacrificed it's "backpackness" for camera duties imo.

I need it ALL, damnit!!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

I think the solution if you are a film shooter is a tactical vest. You strap on those shotgun shell carriers, and then you load your 120 film into those, you use a medium sized pouches to keep your lenses, and you can even slide the tripod feet on your lens into the webbing.

Yeah, exactly.

For when you (the film shooter) are forced into a situation like this:

I'd hate to miss that shot!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

alkanphel posted:

F-Stop bags and ICUs are the business though. I really like them and they're made for photographers with loads to carry. Here's how I setup my ICU for LF shooting: https://flic.kr/p/nYL5L4

Dude, seriously. I can't seem to get one of these bags. A Loka or a Tilopa BC and appropriate ICUs, that's all I ask. Why is it so hard for me to give them my money?

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Danoss posted:

Going by their website, it seems like the Loka is available in Black and the Tilopa BC is available in all colours. That's in the US, whereas only the Tilopa BC is showing as in stock in Europe. I understand that they use these two different warehouses for different parts of the world, I think Europe handles Europe/UK and US handles the rest of the world.

Whereabouts are you located? I'm in Australia and haven't really had any issues getting stock from them. My first interaction with them was a nightmare (some of which was my fault), but they were champions about it and really went the extra mile to rectify the problem. International calls can be a pain depending on where you live, but it might be worth the effort; they're super helpful.

I'm in Canada, and I deal with the US warehouse.

Honestly, I haven't tried super hard to get a bag. And they're expensive enough that I can't just jump at buying one whenever (especially now that the CDN$ is in the shitter). What's happened, twice last year, was that I see the bag + ICU in stock and I place my order through Paypal. Then I get an email saying that they're sorry, the bag is actually backordered but if I wait they'll get one to me. 30 days later, the pending Paypal transaction expires and I get another email asking if I want to try again. But by this time I've already figured out something else.

Come to think about it there was a third time that didn't work out but that was due to some error in their online store so I can't hold that against them.

Since then, I've bought a couple ICUs from them with no trouble. F-Stop makes a great product and they're very easy to deal with. The next time I decide to try another photo-specific outdoorsy pack, they will be what I buy.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Dread Head posted:

If anyone has any specific questions about [F-Stop bags] let me know.

Ok, I'm going to bombard you with questions:

The powers of profile snooping tell me you're on Van Isle. So we'll have climate in common and you'll understand when I ask: how's the weather proofing/resistance?

You said that the Tilopa isn't as good as a dedicated hiking bag, can you sorta of quantify that in terms of price point? IE - is it as good as say, a mid-range MEC bag? Falls just short of of more boutique brands like Mystery Ranch or Arc'teryx? Personally I consider brands like Dakine as the lowest end I'd consider for outdoorsy poo poo, where Osprey and The North Face occupy a middle ground.

Do you ski or snowboard?

If ski, how's the carry system? How does the material handle edges of skis/snowboards and tools?

Internet Friend (followed on FB, read his websites....never met the guy in person) Dan Carr, who's a pro snowsports photographer, once wrote some pretty glowing reviews of the bags, but I'm always suspicious of that sorta pro-endorsed poo poo.

He's now endorsing those Mind-Shift bags which look kinda goofy and seriously heavy.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Dread Head posted:

Let me know if you have any other questions, I can take some pictures at some point if you want.

That's all pretty much what I expected. There's going to be some compromises made between Carries Camera Stuff and Carrie Outdoorsy Stuff and nothing comes as a surprise. Good to know that at least the basics are done properly.

I had one of the new Lowepro "adventure" series bags and while it was alright, especially for the price-point, it just wasn't quite up to what I was asking of it. I think I sold it to a Dorkroomer...hope he's liking it.

I think pretty soon I'm going to spring for a Loka or Loka UL with one of the medium-small ICUs. When/If I do I'll try to post a full review here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Everyone watching this thread probably also watches the Buy'n'Sell thread too, but just in case:

I'm giving away a camera backpack that's worked very well over the years for hiking and skiing.

It's too big for what I need these days, and it's just been taking up space in my closet.

If you're in the Vancouver BC area and want it, drop me a PM

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=232#post453588113

• Locked thread