Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I am in the market for 2 camera bags. I need to replace my medium sized bag with a small one and a large one. I have been looking at this http://products.lowepro.com/product/Pro-Trekker-400-AW,2166,16.htm which looks good but I would also like something smaller that I can use when I am not carrying my super-telephoto. I am also possibly looking for another for when I am going to be hiking/camping and will be wearing a backpack with all my camping gear, I would probably only have 2 (maybe 3) lenses + body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

HPL posted:

One thing you might want to think about is something that can work with a chest harness or belt system so that you can carry it while also carrying a backpack full of camping gear.

I was thinking some kind of chest unit, but never used or looked at one before.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have been looking for a good bag to hike with for awhile and my friend found these bags (he just got a smaller one and it looks really nice) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience using one, or something from this company? http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/satori

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

DJExile posted:

Lowepro's AW covers are fantastic, and if you're worried about your bag not having a specific weather cover, you can get that waterproofing spray from any sporting goods or camping store for very little money.

The covers are great unless you are using a bag with a tripod holder in which case you have to choose using the cover and holding your tripod or no cover and use the holder. At least on all the lowpro bags I have used. That said I normally don't bother with the cover much anymore because the padding does a pretty drat good job of keeping stuff dry.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a Tilopa back country and it has been a fantastic bag, there a few nit picks I have with it but overall I have been happy with it. I have been meaning to write up a review one of these days.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

rubbersoul posted:

I got a job at a summer camp in Colorado in the mountains (camp Cheley if anyone knows it) and I need a photo backpack for two bodies, 4 lenses, one strobe, a laptop, and gear for hiking/camping with groups. I've been looking at the Tilopa BC by F-Stop bags, but it's really expensive ($325) however it is an awesome backpack in the true sense of the word. http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/tilopa-bc

Any other recommendations for something cheaper or better suited to my needs?

I have that bag and I doubt it would be big enough. I have been meaning to do a review of it. What type of hiking gear are you taking with you? I bet the camera gear would fit (depending on the gear you have) fine in that bag but I doubt you would get get your camping gear in there. I am thinking you are going to need a much bigger bag and/or reduce the gear you are taking. You may want to consider getting one of the ICU's from fstop and put it in a large hiking bag.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

RadioImp posted:

Can anyone recommend a bag for Mountain Biking, with a SLR?

Ideally, it needs (in order):

Space for a 60D and 18-200 IS
Waist and sternum strap
Decent level of protection for the camera (I'm not expecting bomb proof, if I fall off and land on the camera, there's not a lot that's going to help)
Quick access to the camera.
Insert for a Camelbak (or similar) hydration pouch
Space for a flash.

I'm really struggling to find something appropriate, that can take the camera and the pouch, but is still slim and stable enough to bike with.
I'm currently using a medium camelbak bag, but it's not very good with the camera in, either the camera moves too much and has no protection, or is far too slow to get to if I put the camera inside another case.

Anyone got any ideas?

I would think about getting a pelican or similar case and putting that inside a bag you can ride with.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JaundiceDave posted:

I'm looking for a backpack. I'm going to be using it for primarily non-photo stuff, but it needs to be able to take a d300 + grip and a few lenses or a pentax 6x7 when i need it to, along with a 15 inch laptop. Price is a factor, <150 would be great, <100 even better. Any recommendations?

I would probably look at using a normal backpack and then getting some kind of internal camera section such as one of these: http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/icu Camera bags tend to put storing a camera first before comfort/fit etc so if you are going to be mostly using it for non camera stuff I would look into getting a decent backpack then something that will allow you to carry your camera in that bag.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Haggins posted:

That F-Stop stuff looks pretty cool. I've been searching for a good backpack/photobag to do a hike in/hike out overnight camping trip.

Do you bring camera gear? What do you use?

I know this is from a little while ago but I have an FStop bag and while it is not bad for hiking it is not as good as I was hoping. It is still a good bag but for real hiking trips I use a real back packing bag and a chest mounted camera bag with additional lenses/tripod in/on my backpack.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

fknlo posted:

I'm looking for a bag to use while snowboarding and kind of like the Lowepro Slingshot. It'll just be my 650d with the 18-135 kit lens and NEX C3 going in it, will it be OK for taking on a mountain? I suck and fall a decent amount, but don't really do anything crazy.

If it was me I would probably get something that is a backpack if you are planning on hiking with it. That or a smaller bag that you can put in a backpack. A sling bag is not really going to offer the same support that a backpack will.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have had a Tilopa BC with large ICU since 2010 and it has been really solid. Compared to a proper hiking bag they are not as good but for a camera bag they are pretty good. Having the access on your back has pros and cons but all bags will. Given that it is about 5 years old at this point it is in remarkably good shape since it has been out in less than ideal conditions on 3 continents now. I did initially have troubles getting the bag due to stock issues (actually was going to order the larger bag but ended up with the Tilopa BC as it was in stock), I am happy with it for the most part. I just lent it to a co-worker to check out for a day or 2 as he is looking to order one.

If anyone has any specific questions about it let me know.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Rot posted:

Ok, I'm going to bombard you with questions:

The powers of profile snooping tell me you're on Van Isle. So we'll have climate in common and you'll understand when I ask: how's the weather proofing/resistance?

You said that the Tilopa isn't as good as a dedicated hiking bag, can you sorta of quantify that in terms of price point? IE - is it as good as say, a mid-range MEC bag? Falls just short of of more boutique brands like Mystery Ranch or Arc'teryx? Personally I consider brands like Dakine as the lowest end I'd consider for outdoorsy poo poo, where Osprey and The North Face occupy a middle ground.

Do you ski or snowboard?

If ski, how's the carry system? How does the material handle edges of skis/snowboards and tools?

Internet Friend (followed on FB, read his websites....never met the guy in person) Dan Carr, who's a pro snowsports photographer, once wrote some pretty glowing reviews of the bags, but I'm always suspicious of that sorta pro-endorsed poo poo.

He's now endorsing those Mind-Shift bags which look kinda goofy and seriously heavy.

Re hiking bag: compared to my osprey and arc'terex packs it is not as good if you just compare them directly as backpacks for hiking. A few reasons I think, fit is not perfect for me, opening on your back probably does not help, also since it is made to carry camera gear you are tempted to carry lots of gear. Hard to say what it would compare to as I think pack fit/comfort is kind of a personal thing. Compared to lowepro camera bags I had before it is much better. For hiking I find there is not much room in it for other gear due to size of ICU I use. Other problem in this regards is if you use a hydration bladder it is at the very back of your pack (furthest from your back) as in the last place you want more weight.

Weather proofing seems reasonable, if it is raining I will put on a rain cover, I would say it is close to an arc'trex bag but not as good. The nice thing is with the rain cover on you can still access the main camera area just fine which is super handy. The zippers all have rain flaps or are "weather proof" ones.

I do ski, only just got a back country setup this season and with our conditions I have not had a chance to really get out. I bought a cheap MEC ski bag that I am planning on using at this point, mostly due to the ICU I currently have I guess? A lot of the time when I am out hiking etc I use a chest mounted bag so I have quick access to my camera.

I know the guys who started f-stop are really into skiing/snowboarding so I would imagine they are decent, my bag has specific things to carry skis/ice axes etc. I can try throwing my skis on to see how it works, seems like it would be better than my dedicated ski bag from MEC when it comes to carrying skis.

It seems pretty light with nothing in it, I just lent it to a co-worker so I removed all my gear and was surprised at the weight (in a good way).

Given that it is nearly 5 years old now it has some wear but still in what I would consider good condition I have used it a lot and never have babied it really. I have considered getting a smaller ICU so it would be better for hiking or skiing etc but I just end up using a proper hiking backpack that I may throw a lens in and then the camera on my chest.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I can take some pictures at some point if you want.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 12, 2015

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I would just use the gear and clean it, gear is meant to be used not sit in a climate controlled room. A drop or 2 of rain should be fine, those covers are ok if it is really raining or something but from my experience (I have a kata cover that I used a few times but it is honestly to much hassle to use and have not used it for years) they are a real pain and I doubt they would really do much to protect against dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

InternetJunky posted:

This is what I use and I absolutely love it. I use back button focus and also have girlish small hands and find it a perfect fit.

I bought the strapshot kit: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-strapshot-p/233ev1.htm

This comes with the hand strap as well, but also has an attachment for my backpack so that I can hang the camera on the strap as well. I wish I had a picture of this because it's not easy to describe.

Do you swiss arca plates? How do these work with those? I have a friend who loves his but does not really use a tripod where I use a tripod a lot.

• Locked thread