Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Captain Postal posted:

Need some opinions. I currently have a lowepro slingshot 200 and my gear just fits in. Problem is that I want more gear such as a 400/5.6 and I really hate the 1 shoulder support. (I'm also hoping to join the goons in the medium format thread some day - but that's more aspirational than immediate consideration).

I was thinking about the lowepro mini trekker or the computrekker. I couldn't find any in stock at my local shop but looking at the other lowepro backpacks today I'm not really sure. They all seem to be padded boxes with shoulder straps added as an afterthought like those small wheeled carry-on sized suitcases that have shoulder straps - good enough for a quick walk through a terminal but not for real carrying. Reviews suggest this may be correct.

What else would people suggest? Needs to be able to fit a gripped body, telephoto + 3/4 other lenses, flash and miscellaneous accessories plus support an 055 mounted externally on the centreline of the pack. Laptop is nice but I'm not planing to use it with both camera gear and the laptop so that's less important. Must be designed as a backpack first rather than a box with straps.

I'm now looking at the Kata R-103 but for 3x price of the lowepro I figure I can wait 24 hours to hear other opinions.

I have the KATA HB-207 and I love it.

It is HUGE and is perfect for someone big and tall (I'm 6' 4"). This IS a backpack.

It holds:

Canon 50D
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Canon 50 f/1.8 MKI
2x Canon 580 exII
Canon 188a
Canon AE1 with 50 f/1.8
2x Manfrotto umbrella adapters
25" umbrella
Tripod -small (also has a tripod holder that will work with a large tripod)
Canon battery charger
Pearstone battery charger
4 sets of AA batteries
Various cables
Various cleaning accessories
Small Tackle box that contains 4 sets of Yonogo Wireless Triggers
w/ cables and various small items
Water bottle
It holds a 17" laptop but I have not tried it yet.

I also have the camera strap that attaches directly to the pack - it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Captain Postal posted:

Way out of my price range, but the ergonomics look fantastic. How stable would it be with a large-ish tripod like my 055? I've seen bags that would hold it but not securely so the load is able to swing too much

edit: only the 104 has the waist strap. and I can only get it from digitalrev in australia.
I don't have to use digitalrev do I? :ohdear:

It is fantastic. I was really lucky and got it for $100 on craigslist! I think it would be pretty stable.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

frogbs posted:

So I ended up ordering the Kata 467I, got it today...and I was really underwhelmed! The camera compartment is REALLY inconvenient and crowded. I also didnt like how many different straps and things there are, way too many for what isnt really a huge backpack. The tripod holder is also kind of useless, it didnt do a very good job of holding my 4lb tripod to the bag, it moved all over the place. I'm going return the 467i and give the Kata 3n1-33 a shot and see if that serves me better. I'll be sure to post my impressions in this thread. Thanks for everyones advice!

If you need a lot of room you might look at the Kata HB-207. It is huge, has a ton of space and you can strap everything down. I love it!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Nannypea posted:

Best Buy has the Lowepro - Fastpack 250 Camera Backpack - Black model no. LP35194-PEU for $55.99 with free shipping

I have a older version of this bag and love it. For this price it's hard to pass up getting a newer one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lowepro...D=552179&loc=01

Looks like they have most of their Lowepro stuff on sale up to 50% off.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

FunOne posted:

Any opinions on the Lowepro 16L?

Remy Marathe posted:

Seconding that question- Anyone have experience with the Lowepro Hatchback backpacks? I'm looking at the 22L online and trying to figure out how easy it'd be to remove one backpack strap and access that back compartment like you would on a fastpack or side-access bag.

Messenger bag kills my shoulder after a while so I need a backpack, but I'd like to keep the option of easily stowing/grabbing the camera. Otherwise maybe I'll just stick a lens insert into a regular backpack.

I use the 16L everyday. I love it. I've used it for backpacking several times as well. I abuse the hell out of it and no issues so far.

I see no need to remove one of the straps. Never any issues getting to the compartment.

• Locked thread