Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

KickStand posted:

Does anyone use a R-Strap connected to the neck strap mount on thier camera instead of the tripod mount? I want to pick one up for my D700 but with the battery grip attached thats going to be super uncomfortable

Attaching it to the neck strap defeats the purpose.

If you get one with the new Fastener-3 it should be much better to use with a battery grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

KickStand posted:

I was talking about connecting it to just a single mount for the neck strap not both sides, but your right the fastener-3 looks like it would make it a bit more comfortable.

edit: I think you mean the fastenr-2? the one with the rubber washer?

No, I mean the fastener-3. Both it and the -2 have the rubber washer. The -3 doesn't have the movable D-ring and is much lower profile than the fastener-2.

And I meant the neck strap attachment points; I guess I was being too quick to reply.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Truthfully, I wouldn't trust any equipment in a lake to anything less than a Drybag or a pelican case. But that's just me.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

8th-samurai posted:

It's a big metal Manfrotto plate.

The camera hangs from the D ring which is attached to the piece that screws into the socket on the camera, basically the same as the R strap's connector.

The D-ring on the Manfrotto plates is NOT built to be load bearing. It will deform and fail. The plate won't detach from the camera, but the little D-ring will come apart.

You should buy one of these to replace the wimpy D-ring in the manfrotto plate. They should be out sometime this month.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Now, let's say you have something like an L-bracket with a tripod pass-through socket. Yes, you could attach the R-Strap's FastenR thingies to that just fine. It's the Manfrotto D-rings that are specifically the issue.

I've been waiting for these bastards since February, and I'm buying two immediately.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

DJExile posted:

OK I'll admit when I read your post and realized DA made a bag I thought it would be some awful piece of crap. That actually looks fairly nice.

It looks like a Kata 3n1 with different color padding.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I'd use a dual-strap at an airshow if I had a zoom and a prime on two different bodies. Otherwise, I'd just stick with the standard single R-strap.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Pansies, I took my 70-400 G on several hiking trips this summer. :colbert:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

atomicthumbs posted:

Is there anything like an RS-7 that lets me keep my tripod plate attached to my camera?

What kind of plate do you use?

Most L-Brackets can attach the strap directly to them. If you use the Manfrotto RC-2 system, you can replace the D-rings with the much better blackrapid D-rings and use those plates instead of the fasteners.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The strap coming undone is probably the least likely method of damagaing your equipment with the Blackrapid. There's a litany of dumb things that could happen.

1. If you have the old style Fastener (not the forged one-piece, but the two-piece D-ring units) there's always the risk that the D-ring will fall apart, though I've rarely seen this happen.

2. People who stupidly attach the strap to their stock Manfrotto QR plate D-ring, which will rapidly deform and fail under most weight loads.

3. When you change a lens that's attached to the strap via the tripod collar and you forget that the body isn't secured to anything, thus allowing the body to fall to the ground. BR said they'd make a safety strap but I have yet to see it.

4. People who aren't mindful of what their camera does and smash it against something or a wall.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
My gripped a700 (which is not a svelte camera since the grip is tall) will fit in my Tamrac Velocity 9X with the 70-200 f/2.8 attached no problems. The 70-400 will just barely fit with the lens shade reversed; the shade really adds to the diameter. Still, I can carry the 17-50 and the flash in the sides with no problem, the lens might just extend when pulling it out of the bag. The downside is that the sling is right-side only and it can get kind of weird with an R-strap. Other than that, it's been great.

The Lowepro Outback 200 will also work well and has the benefit of being modular. I find I like these kinds of toploading sling bags over the slingshot types since they have less risk of the side falling out.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Go to the army surplus store and buy a cheap rifle sling.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Blackrapids are worth every cent. Their earlier hardware had some bugs, but they've done a very good job refining it.

Though for your setup you would be much better served putting the collar on the lens and attaching the strap to that.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

HPL posted:

You can get cheap tripod rings on eBay.

Yeah, my buddy bought one of the knockoff rings and used it for years without an issue.

quote:

Don't get me wrong, the BR strap is a really great product and an awesome idea. I just found the strap to be too bulky (as in the padding on the strap itself). I thought it was uncomfortable around my neck and it was a pain when folding up into a bag.

The RS Sport strap might be more up your alley then. I like the RS-5 because I can carry a gripped a700 with 70-400 G all day long and not get tired. It also holds memory cards, cellphone, etc. and if that equipment is all I need that day I can realistically leave the bag at home. THe RS5 isn't for everyone but if you like a skinnier strap the Sport ones seem to be a good fit.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
All BR straps should come with a Fastener and the carabiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
That looks like a pretty slick bag, but I would hate giving Ming Thein money.

• Locked thread