Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm looking for a cute boston terrier or pitbull pattern right now. Googling patterns seems to be a little dangerous. Lots of sites that come off set off firefox's site warning. I'm currently working on this one!
http://www.allcrafts.net/f.asp?url=weewonderfuls.typepad.com/wee_wonderfuls/store/pointykitty.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Hi, guys.

In another thread, we're mulling over sending a guy named Day[9] something to commemorate his 200th podcast. (He's done a lot of great things for the StarCraft 2 community and is a great guy overall).

He also has carpal tunnel syndrome (being an intense videogame-player and all), which requires him to, well, cuddle with a pillow to ease his symptoms.

We got the idea to make him a plushie for the purpose - although it might require a better, softer texture than what can be made by knitting.

What we had in mind was a Baneling (a unit from the game), but it's just something getting tossed around. Someone also made a model here. Unfortunately, it's sold out. :(

He also uses a toy bunny (named Manfred) - presumably for the same purpose - so I assume it could be used for his syndrome instead.

While we can't ask you to do make one for the occasion, can you give us some pointers on how we could make a convincing plushie to be used instead of a pillow?

Cheers.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 6, 2010

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

ufarn posted:

Hi, guys.

In another thread, we're mulling over sending a guy named Day[9] something to commemorate his 200th podcast. (He's done a lot of great things for the StarCraft 2 community and is a great guy overall).

He also has carpal tunnel syndrome (being an intense videogame-player and all), which requires him to, well, cuddle with a pillow to ease his symptoms.

We got the idea to make him a plushie for the purpose - although it might require a better, softer texture than what can be made by knitting.

What we had in mind was a Baneling (a unit from the game), but it's just something getting tossed around. Someone also made a model here. Unfortunately, it's sold out. :(

He also uses a toy bunny (named Manfred) - presumably for the same purpose - so I assume it could be used for his syndrome instead.

While we can't ask you to do make one for the occasion, can you give us some pointers on how we could make a convincing plushie to be used instead of a pillow?

Cheers.

I'm a little confused by what you're hoping for when you say plushie rather than pillow? Are you thinking of something more 3-D than flat? The one somebody made on Etsy I would call more of a plushie. It looks like the Etsy seller does custom items regularly. Have you talked with he/she to see how much/ if they can do it within their time line?

It seems like you might be looking for tips on how to make one similar to the one you posted. I dug up the artist's blog and there is another picture of an early pattern that someone might be able to use to figure something out. http://www.shannahomeara.blogspot.com/ The shapes all seem fairly simple. The big back part seems like it's a few cat eye shaped pieces sewn together. The other pieces look similar to cylinders, but kind of squatty. Attaching them and figuring out how to attach them together and get the purple part that goes over it. The legs you'd want to stuff pretty full and probably sew on separately. The green and purple fabric looks like it's Minky which is nice and soft. If the person sewing it is in the US that fabric is on sale at Joann's this week. I know nothing about therapeutic cuddling so I have no idea if you'd want to stuff it with the standard polyfil (which is what you'd probably find in most plushies) or if you'd want to go for those weird foam beads. (I forget what they're called but they're like what bean bags are stuffed with but smaller. They're really small and they ooze around nicely which makes for very mold-able pillows)

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Brainbread, if you're still reading - how big is your cuttlefish? I tried making one with pretty small tentacles and even with a knitting needle couldn't turn them rightside out afterwards. I need to scale up I guess. :(

So, I made a thing.

The pattern came from a book called "The Woman's Day Book of Soft Toys and Dolls", circa 1975. It's supposed to be a March Hare, but my color choice made it look more like Disco Stu.

For a first attempt, I'm fairly pleased with it. I made some dumb mistakes (like forgetting to face the ears the right way before seaming them into the head :doh:)and I learned a lot by figuring out how to correct them.

The clothing was the worst. It's HARD to machine-hem a tiny armhole when the sleeve is already seamed shut! I originally didn't want to clothe him at all, but since the pattern planned on hiding his entire upper body with clothing, the neck and arm connections are pretty lame. Next time I'll attach them better and be able to make one without the clothing. I think he needs to be chubbier and his eyes need to be black buttons instead of these kermit-like things.

One thing I'm very pleased about is that everything I used to make him - with the exception of the orange thread on his clothing and his stuffing - is reclaimed/vintage. I scored a huge bag of thread, embroidery thread, yarn, and buttons for $5 at a local thrift store. The fabric is out of a dumpster: I work upstairs from what used to be a high-end furniture/home decorating store. The kind that custom makes ALL your decor, and sells poo poo like $9000 couches. Last month they moved to a bigger location, and in cleaning out their basement, they threw away all their old fabric samples. I scored two full carloads:

The samples range from 4"x6" to 20"x30". There's velvets, cottons, fleeces, things I don't even know the name of. There's swatches of handloomed natural silks which were selling for $200 per yard. I have every color, pattern, and type of fabric you could imagine. I have so much fabric that I quite literally don't know where to start. I'm terrified to use some of it because it's so beautiful that I'm afraid I'd gently caress it up.

I'm planning on making it all into stuffed animals and selling it on etsy to support my animal rescue. Realistically, I've got more than I could ever use, even if I made a toy a day, but I know I could never afford to BUY fabric like this, so I don't dare get rid of any of it! So if anyone has any adorable patterns, especially of rabbits or guinea pigs, please share them. I'm sure I'll run out of ideas before I run out of material.

alucinor fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 11, 2010

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Awwh! The shirt on it is adorable. Good job with that :P

Finally got around to making something. An Owl! I am going to be working on a cake soon for a birthday.

Click here for the full 1374x1832 image.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

Here is something I've been working on recently and finally completed last night. I'm calling him Mark Whaleberg and you can see the concept to completion steps in the above picture.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
What software were you using to make that pattern?

I made a somewhat dapper looking octopus

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Comrade Quack posted:

What software were you using to make that pattern?

It's from a company called Livesforce and it's named PatternImage. They bundle it with their sketch-modeling software EasyToy, both of which are really cool. It cuts my creation time in half since there's less guess work involved in the pattern making.

The downside? SUPER expensive. $3000 or $1000 a year, depending on license.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
You guys have inspired me, I'm making a plush Portuguese Man O'War for my little cousin for Christmas. We found one on the beach a month or so ago and he's obsessed now, but it is not a commonly made toy so we could not find one anywhere.

So far the tentacles I have made are over a foot long each. I will post pictures when it is done. I am so excited.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
My friend's birthday was over the weekend and I made her a plush version of her dog. From design to completion was about a week, so I'm happy with it.

nolen fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 8, 2011

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

The Power and The Ballin'
Some pro-beasties up in this thread. I've just finished a cuddly zombie as a gift for someone who hates zombies.

:colbert:

Before this I'd only ever sewn a button onto a shirt... and you can tell.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
I got a sewing machine for Christmas and had each of my little cousins draw a monster. These are their monsters turned 3-D

Then I tried to learn about gussets with a lochness monster

And here's an evil owl...

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I have sewn a lot of things in my quest to Get Good At Sewing, but these are the only ones I'm not remarkably embarrassed about. My mom taught me how to sew when I was really little, and all I would make were really strange-looking snakes out of Dallas Cowboys patterned fabric, because that was all we could find in the buttcrack of Texas. I actually didn't sew for a good ten years after that - this first rabbit was what I did when I decided to go at it again.

I'm really pleased with this last one. The limbs are de- and re-attachable using velcro!

What are you guys favorites things to sew? I have a lot of turtles and Pokemon under my belt.

tentawesome fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 15, 2011

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Gonna cross-post this here too:

Look what I finished today!

You can't tell from the photo but it's 2 feet tall and HUGE.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I LOVE that plush Bub and I want one holy crap. It would go fabulously with the Bubble Bobble scarf I got my mom to knit before I learned how.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Restuffing my childhood stuffed animal (a horse) at the moment. So from what I've gathered, I need to stuff him a lot and then use a ladder stitch to close his rear end back up again? Am I missing anything?

By the way, I know stuffing can settle over time, leaving something you thought was firm all floppy and weird. Any information on how to properly stuff something that has a bit of shape to it? I don't want him to feel solid, but he can't be super squishy either. Do I need to stuff him and let him sit for a bit to see how much more I need to add or anything? Help! I really don't want to screw this up. :(

Cota Froise
May 12, 2009

Did you really just post that?

uberwekkness posted:

Restuffing my childhood stuffed animal (a horse) at the moment. So from what I've gathered, I need to stuff him a lot and then use a ladder stitch to close his rear end back up again? Am I missing anything?

By the way, I know stuffing can settle over time, leaving something you thought was firm all floppy and weird. Any information on how to properly stuff something that has a bit of shape to it? I don't want him to feel solid, but he can't be super squishy either. Do I need to stuff him and let him sit for a bit to see how much more I need to add or anything? Help! I really don't want to screw this up. :(

If you're using synthetic fibre for stuffing, you ought to rip it into little bits for a while first so it won't clump - that's the biggest cause of floppiness, because the clumps will have gaps between them, especially in narrow necks and the tops of legs. If you can get your hand inside to push the stuffing around that's ideal, because you have more control over where it goes than if you use a stick/wodden spoon to push it around. Also, if your horse has plastic safety eyes, be careful stuffing the head, or the posts can end up pushed to a weird angle and make the eyes point in all directions. Don't forget if you screw it up you can always take it all back out again and redo it before you sew him up. Good luck!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Is there any kind of site for like... open-source / free domain patterns for cutesy things like the wonderful creations that are posted in this thread? I'd love to try making some of them and maybe modifying them some to eventually make into something more personalized but I really have no clue about where to start.

Nicola
Apr 26, 2007
Hi there
Resurrecting slightly, but what kinds of filling or fabrics are good for a beginner to use, or does it not really matter?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
You can play around with a few things and see what you like yourself. I like fleece it stands up pretty well to screwups and doesn't stretch badly. I made one of my latest creatures with flannel and I'm worried about how it will hold up because the stress on some of the seams seems to be pulling at the fabric and making the weave kind of separate. I like working with socks as well, just make sure to get the ones that are more stretchy and less woven.

I had some stuffing that was "eco fill" or something like that made from corn that I really liked, but I ran out of it and got just the generic poly stuffing that Hancock and Joann sell in giant boxes. At first I didn't like it but I may be warming up to it.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I use flannel, myself. It can be delicate since the weave is so loose, but after I stopped stuffing it so firmly and got much better with the ladder stitch, it hasn't been an issue for me. I'm with Comrade Quack, though - fleece is much easier to work with, but I just really prefer flannel despite its problems.

For stuffing, I just use whatever cheap stuff I can get, but I did buy some Morning Glory brand Cluster Stuff at Hobby Lobby and it's actually pretty fantastic. It comes pre-bunched into tiny bits instead of one big mass so you don't have to tear it apart first. I don't know that any other B&M store sells it now that Wal-Mart apparently dropped them, and it's more expensive, but if you can take a 40% off coupon, it's not so bad.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone have a Sgt. Frog (Sgt. Keroro) template? My wife wants to sew one for my little cousin, and I can't find any templates online. Anyone have one that's a little more complex than two pieces of felt sewed together?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Blistex posted:

Anyone have a Sgt. Frog (Sgt. Keroro) template? My wife wants to sew one for my little cousin, and I can't find any templates online. Anyone have one that's a little more complex than two pieces of felt sewed together?

Looks pretty simple to me. Spherical head, teardrop body. Long tapered arms and legs.

I say look for examples of other dolls using those shapes to help you find some construction tips.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
Live, plushie thread! :) I sew in my spare time and all that spare time left me with a pretty solid knack for it. Right now I'm working on a tiger that's also a hipster, his name is Mewser.

I hand sew, and I usually wing it patternless. The last doll I finished is Lanolin Sheepster, a sheep that . . . is also a hipster. :I These are photos of Lanolin II, he has movable arms and legs. Lanolin beta didn't move and had no horns- I gave him to a little girl.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

The Worst Unicorn posted:

I can dig it, very cute stuff!

Though I gotta say that you're a masochist for hand sewing it all.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
I have been making some little critters lately, and am quite gleefully obsessed with it.

Last night I stayed up late making this little elephant:

And a while ago I made this hedgehog, whose name is Pickles:

All handsewn. But I like doing it that way :)

Drive Bee
Aug 8, 2008
Say hello to my little friends. Meet the socktopi:

I'm not a fan of how skinny octopus/squid tentacles are in most templates, so I make them half as long and twice as thick.

Bonus nomatee (the fins are made from toe socks):

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
I made a thing.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
loving brilliant!

Very nice re-creation. Is that fleece?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

loving brilliant!

Very nice re-creation. Is that fleece?

Thanks! Yeah, it's plain ol' polar fleece. The original frog uses a sort of velour fabric that has a short nap to it and I couldn't find anything similar locally AND is stuffed with upholstery filling. I had to use regular Poly-Fil but it still turned out creepy as ever.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
I recall the discussion in the thread where somebody was selling one. What's the plan for making more? Or posting/selling a pattern?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Comrade Quack posted:

I recall the discussion in the thread where somebody was selling one. What's the plan for making more? Or posting/selling a pattern?

I plan on finishing off the fabric I have and making a few more to sell here on SA Mart, though the demand has already skyrocketed.

Selling the pattern and/or teaming up with another goon seamster/seamstress to meet the demand is not something I am against.

nolen fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 27, 2011

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

nolen posted:

I plan on finish off the fabric I have and making a few more to sell here on SA Mart, though the demand has already skyrocketed.

Selling the pattern and/or teaming up with another goon seamster/seamstress to meet the demand is not something I am against.

I'm interested in sewing a few. I don't know how fast I could turn them out though.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
drat, this thread makes me feel like an amateur. I cant sew poo poo unless I have a basic pattern to go off of.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
drat, that is amazing. I've been wanting to make my own frog for a while, but lack the tools and supplies.. but I should have access to a sewing machine soon. My boyfriend has one that's recently been tuned up, but he has no idea how to use it so I get to play with it. :3:

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
I made this, then did a pretty lackluster job of photographing it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I had no idea there was a thread like this on here. I have always wanted to learn sewing and start making creepy little stuffed things. I have been looking at some of the stuff over in the Sewing Megathread for a bit, but is there anything useful to read to get started with stuffed plush things, like a pattern making book or some such?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Salsa McManus posted:

I had no idea there was a thread like this on here. I have always wanted to learn sewing and start making creepy little stuffed things. I have been looking at some of the stuff over in the Sewing Megathread for a bit, but is there anything useful to read to get started with stuffed plush things, like a pattern making book or some such?

This book http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Wonderful-Fleece-Animals-Full-Size/dp/1589233840 is a fairly good starting point if you've never made a stuffed animal before. It will get you used to how certain shapes come together from a 2D pattern into a 3D doll.

Once you get a feel for it, the rest kinda comes into place.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I have a stupid newbie question: I want to make this but have only ever made small things out of felt. Since I don't have a sewing machine I will have to hand-sew it. Question is, which stitch would be best to use for this? It's just for display, not going to be used as a toy. :)

I'm determined to torture myself with this project that is way beyond my skill. I've never even used a pattern :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

PiratePing posted:

I have a stupid newbie question: I want to make this but have only ever made small things out of felt. Since I don't have a sewing machine I will have to hand-sew it. Question is, which stitch would be best to use for this? It's just for display, not going to be used as a toy. :)

I'm determined to torture myself with this project that is way beyond my skill. I've never even used a pattern :saddowns:

I'd recommend the back stitch: http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Sew---The-Back-Stitch-140618068, as it's strong and very simple.

• Locked thread