Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

OK, so I'm cross posting this from the Etsy lovefest thread (sorry about that) but I wanted to show off some fuzzy felt, jointed bears I've been making.

The only downside to hand sewing is the crippling hand cramps. Owch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Dr Scoofles posted:

OK, so I'm cross posting this from the Etsy lovefest thread (sorry about that) but I wanted to show off some fuzzy felt, jointed bears I've been making.

The only downside to hand sewing is the crippling hand cramps. Owch.

I must have missed these when you posted them originally. Very nice work! I've been considering added jointed creatures to my to-do list, just need to find the time to do it.

Any tips, or is it fairly straightforward?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I made this.

I think the Get Out Frog may be cursed.

Now I'm going to try to sell it. And possibly make more.

I found out that one of the couples I'm friends with celebrates significant milestones in their relationship with stuffed animals. I offered to make the one for their wedding reception, the groom excitedly reached into his wallet and produced a drawing his new wife had done on their 2nd or 3rd date about 5 years prior. That drawing was the basis for this:

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 13, 2011

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009

Comrade Quack posted:

I found out that one of the couples I'm friends with celebrates significant milestones in their relationship with stuffed animals. I offered to make the one for their wedding reception, the groom excitedly reached into his wallet and produced a drawing his new wife had done on their 2nd or 3rd date about 5 years prior. That drawing was the basis for this:

Awwww, cute :3 I think that's my favorite part of learning to sew--being able to see something and make it.

Do sock animals count? I just made a gray version of this:

Image is loving huge, dunno how to thumbnail it...
http://imgur.com/AZDKI

And my school mascot, the anteater! zot!
http://i.imgur.com/Z2UOx.jpg

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Oh man, I feel kind of weird posting here when everybody else is so talented. I'm kind of just starting out making plushes but seeing these masterpieces is encouraging - I hope I can get as good as you guys someday. I've been sewing for about a year but I only just started making plushes. Mostly it's because I'm a nerd and I like to make other nerds happy.

Lately I've been making geeky little plushes, mostly from Zelda. Aside from the ones below I'm also working on plushes of the mystical seeds from Oracle of Ages/Seasons. All of the Zelda plushes are hand-sewn.

The Link plush is for size comparison only, I didn't make him.

And this, I just made this evening. I'm pretty pleased with it but the fabric had considerable puckering by the end of it. I'm kind of new at sewing so I'm not sure if it's just the really thin fabric or if I'm using the wrong stitch. Anyway, this one is going to my friend in Massachusetts but I'll be making some more to sell on Etsy along with my other plushes up there.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
For tackling issues like fabric puckering around armpits and crotches of stuffed animals (fun fun!) be sure to read up about clipping and notching.

It will help with that considerably!

Also, I like your weird monster!

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

For tackling issues like fabric puckering around armpits and crotches of stuffed animals (fun fun!) be sure to read up about clipping and notching.

It will help with that considerably!

Also, I like your weird monster!

Oh, cool. I'll try that out next time. Also my weird monster is a thing from an anime, actually. He's known as Chiyo-chan's father, which doesn't really make sense even in context.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Oh, cool. I'll try that out next time. Also my weird monster is a thing from an anime, actually. He's known as Chiyo-chan's father, which doesn't really make sense even in context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UucITQR0SrQ

Daddycat is the best and now I want to make one. Fuuuck. I wonder if I have appropriately colored felt lying around...

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I made a Totoro plush for a nerdy friend. It's a bit messed up here and there but this is the first plush I ever made and I'm pretty pleased.

Yes, the colour palette in my room is commonly referred to as "Skittle Barf". :j:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
/\ I love the colour of your walls. Gorgeous shade of green. Your plush has lots of character too, he's really cute!

I was ill and couldn't go into work today *cough cough* so I made a friend at home from an old ugly tunic thing.

He needs some shorts because I hosed up the butt seam.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

My girlfriend wanted me to post this, a pony she made from microfleece.

She has some more on her Deviant Art (http://queenanneka.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d48gd6e)

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 1, 2011

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I love the idea of plush rupees! A little basket of poofy faux grass stuffed with rupees! :D But I really think it would look nicer to have the edging done in embroidery thread or even glued cord rather than puff paint. Puff paint makes me think of 80s shirts and Bedazzlers.

I made this version of the Love Elephant with a pretty knit I got at a garage sale!

And this adorable deer from a book of japanese plushies!

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

kreyla posted:

I love the idea of plush rupees! A little basket of poofy faux grass stuffed with rupees! :D But I really think it would look nicer to have the edging done in embroidery thread or even glued cord rather than puff paint. Puff paint makes me think of 80s shirts and Bedazzlers.

I made this version of the Love Elephant with a pretty knit I got at a garage sale!

And this adorable deer from a book of japanese plushies!

Lovely work, there! I agree that embroidery or cord would look nicer. I'm just starting out so I have no clue about embroidery, actually. I'm wondering if it's something I should get into, it could add nice detail to plushes I make in the future.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Oh wow I've been out of the loop, but I've been keeping up to date with actually making stuff. Because I am unemployed.

Edit: Got to find a host so I stop hotlinking things. [Fixed now]

And I guess I'll keep posting stuff when I finish them. I've been selling them too, which has been fairly lucrative. The rainbow dash auction is at $152, which is pretty good for about 5 hours of work, and the Luna auction is hovering around $160.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 1, 2011

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Brainbread posted:

Oh wow I've been out of the loop, but I've been keeping up to date with actually making stuff. Because I am unemployed.

:ponies:

And I guess I'll keep posting stuff when I finish them. I've been selling them too, which has been fairly lucrative. The rainbow dash auction is at $152, which is pretty good for about 5 hours of work, and the Luna auction is hovering around $160.

I'm curious to know if or how you're promoting your auctions. Is the bidding just from people trolling ebay or did you post them somewhere else first?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I post them to Ebay, then send the photos and links in to Equestria Daily (they put the photos and links into Plushie Updates, or just the links into the Nightly Roundups), then I load them up to Deviantart and include the auction link in the description, then I submit those photos to about 10 different groups.

After thats done, I make a journal article with the links, post them to Ponibooru, FIMChan, and Ponychan with the auction links.

Then I start working on my next project.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Brainbread posted:

I post them to Ebay, then send the photos and links in to Equestria Daily (they put the photos and links into Plushie Updates, or just the links into the Nightly Roundups), then I load them up to Deviantart and include the auction link in the description, then I submit those photos to about 10 different groups.

After thats done, I make a journal article with the links, post them to Ponibooru, FIMChan, and Ponychan with the auction links.

Then I start working on my next project.

Ha, my gf saw your auctions and it is one of the reasons she started making some on her own. She's working on a nightmare moon.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Ha, my gf saw your auctions and it is one of the reasons she started making some on her own. She's working on a nightmare moon.

I'd hope she uses fleece/micro chenille, as Minky is... well, bothersome to work with (the one you have up there looks like Minky). Is she machining, or doing them by hand?

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Lovely work, there! I agree that embroidery or cord would look nicer. I'm just starting out so I have no clue about embroidery, actually. I'm wondering if it's something I should get into, it could add nice detail to plushes I make in the future.

I usually will just lightly draw whatever details I want on the fabric and then hand-sew over them with embroidery floss, nothing too fancy and surprisingly it's as easy as sewing on a button. Someday I would like to do, say, an overall vine and flowers pattern over plain fabric... someday.

Crewel work plushies would be so delightfully fab.

Brainbread, those ponies. OMG those ponies. How did you do the eyes?

kreyla fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 1, 2011

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

kreyla posted:

I usually will just lightly draw whatever details I want on the fabric and then hand-sew over them with embroidery floss, nothing too fancy and surprisingly it's as easy as sewing on a button. Someday I would like to do, say, an overall vine and flowers pattern over plain fabric... someday.

Crewel work plushies would be so delightfully fab.

Brainbread, those ponies. OMG those ponies. How did you do the eyes?

Printable fabric. Its about $2.50 CND a sheet, from Staples (in Canada). Its a hard kind of cotton with an adhesive background. You put the sheet into your inkjet printer, and print out the picture (or eyes and some cutie marks, in my case). Cut it out, sharpie out any white spots you don't like, and iron it on to the plushie.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

lovely picture. 2 and a half hours of work to get this. With redoing the head twice.

It'll be a derpy, and prolly for sale tonight. Weeeee.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Brainbread posted:

I'd hope she uses fleece/micro chenille, as Minky is... well, bothersome to work with (the one you have up there looks like Minky). Is she machining, or doing them by hand?

By hand micro fleece, but it has weird bumps on it, I dunno why, but she likes it due to the texture. The plush looks better in person; the lighting she used wan't good, and I wasn't home to set up my tripod.

She is considering to try and do it felting style? The wool you wash and it shrinks.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I don't know what this felting style is, I only know what I like and that appears to be /gouging my fingers/ on sewing needles.

I'll have the Derpy done for tomorrow. I don't like doing an entire project in a day. Its tiring, and makes me feel like burnout. I got like hour, maybe two left in it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, finished a Derpy Hooves (wanted to finish off my material, gonna do a Colgate next, because she has almost the same colour as Rainbow Dash, and I want to make a Colgate plushie.

I'm somewhat pleased with how she turned out. I found buttons that worked quite well for her, in the right sizes. Different than what I used before. But I never want to use this material again. It needs a ridiculous seam allowance to avoid fraying, and doesn't appreciate stitching - it makes little gaps when pressure is put on it by thread. I had to fold all the connect points to stitch through. I don't expect it to sell for much.

Squid Inc
Feb 12, 2011
A friend of mine is a huge homestuck fan, so I decided to make her a plush of her favorite character:

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, except maybe for the Scorpio symbol on her chest. I think next time I'll take a page outta Brainbreads book and go the way of the iron on. Also, I'd been working from the wiki image (I'm only about three chapters in, which means, as usual, by the time I finish it, it won't be cool no more) so she's probably missing a sleeve or a mechanical arm or two.

The hardest part was probably the horns : three squares of different coloured felt that refused to turn inside out when I wanted them to :/

Any suggestions for turning really tiny things? My fingers will thank you.

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

Squid Inc posted:

Any suggestions for turning really tiny things? My fingers will thank you.

Knitting needles or chopsticks always work for me. You just get a little bit of a lip so it catches and then push it through. If it's REALLY tough you can just set up a needle with thread, then sew through the end to pull it through. Then you just snip off the thread/knot and you're done. That'll only works for certain materials though, cause sometimes with stuff like felt the tension on the thread can make a noticeable hole (not a big one, but a noticeable one).

Squid Inc
Feb 12, 2011

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

If it's REALLY tough you can just set up a needle with thread, then sew through the end to pull it through. Then you just snip off the thread/knot and you're done.

Wow, thanks. This is a really fantastic idea. I've been using a knitting needle up till this point but I've always been a little afraid to push too hard in case I tear through the fabric or stitches. Getting a nice pointy tip on some thing has always been a problem, so this should definitely help (I'll have to tie an extra big knot methinks for the felt). Thanks.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

If it's REALLY tough you can just set up a needle with thread, then sew through the end to pull it through. Then you just snip off the thread/knot and you're done. That'll only works for certain materials though, cause sometimes with stuff like felt the tension on the thread can make a noticeable hole (not a big one, but a noticeable one).

I am so using that on my horns. They get a bit fat at the end because it doesn't unfold all of the way. Thanks!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Moar plushies.

P.S. Its Colgate. Took me around 5 hours, with panic at the end to get it out and done before I went to my friends. Didn't want to have to wait until monday.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Brainbread posted:

Woah. She just sold for $430.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Brainbread posted:

drat nice work. I'll admit to being jealous. I made this:

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 7, 2011

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

drat nice work. I'll admit to being jealous. I made this:

I'm afraid to say that I don't know what it is - I'm getting vibes of both Cthulu and Frogs.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Brainbread posted:

I'm afraid to say that I don't know what it is - I'm getting vibes of both Cthulu and Frogs.

You're quite right. It's a Cthulhu based on the frog pillow I posted earlier. I couldn't decide what to call it. Elderfrog? Get out Cthulhu?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

You're quite right. It's a Cthulhu based on the frog pillow I posted earlier. I couldn't decide what to call it. Elderfrog? Get out Cthulhu?

Just call it a Deep Spawn and you'll be about 70% correct. Its fishy, so a Deep One is getting accurate, but they have so many abominations sitting around that Deep Spawn would probably cover it.

Fyi, loving love H.P.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Brainbread posted:

:psyduck:

I mean your work is great don't get me wrong but... :gonk:

MLP fans are truly terrifying.

...and apparently a cash cow.

:psyduck:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Sometimes I feel like I'm going about this whole "earning money" thing entirely the wrong way. Maybe it's time to just quit my job, infiltrate *insert crazy fandom* and take all their money.

Squid Inc
Feb 12, 2011

Brainbread posted:

To be fair though, I'm not even an MLP fan and I think she's adorable. Are there any that you've made and kept exclusively for yourself? Cos I can just imagine you creating your own small kingdom of ponies to lord over. Awesome *re-enters childhood*

PiratePing posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm going about this whole "earning money" thing entirely the wrong way. Maybe it's time to just quit my job, infiltrate *insert crazy fandom* and take all their money.

Man, I know how you feel. I got a bit of interest in the Vriska doll, and inspired by brainbread, headed over to the homestuck forums to hock my wares before....discovering the creator had explicitly asked people to refrain from doing things like comissions and stuff :(
I'm not sure what his stance one plushies would be, but I shot him an email anyway, asking if it would be okay (which by now has probably slipped to page eighty of his unread emails).

Never mind, at least I now have a small army of half-made Vriska plushies waiting to be possessed :)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

PiratePing posted:

Well, when I started making plushies I was doing in addition to a full-time job.

Then I quit that job, because it was horrible (and school was starting soon). I should be able to sustain my level of production during the school year too, as its only about 5 hours a week to do a single plushie, and another 5 for any commissions that come of it.

Squid Inc posted:

Are there any that you've made and kept exclusively for yourself? Cos I can just imagine you creating your own small kingdom of ponies to lord over. Awesome *re-enters childhood*

Nope. I tried doing that and went, "Well, I wonder if anyone will buy this." and then people did, for more than the rate I made at my day job. I am also entirely not-sentimental, so that helps. I do have a pile of other plushies i made for the hell of it - a couple of cat-smiling mushrooms and some cephalopods, though.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Fluttershy plushie. Because school is expensive >.>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Brainbread posted:

Fluttershy plushie. Because school is expensive >.>

Take them for all they're worth. For. Serious. While the iron is hot and all that.

• Locked thread