Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I have a stupid newbie question: I want to make this but have only ever made small things out of felt. Since I don't have a sewing machine I will have to hand-sew it. Question is, which stitch would be best to use for this? It's just for display, not going to be used as a toy. :)

I'm determined to torture myself with this project that is way beyond my skill. I've never even used a pattern :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I made a Totoro plush for a nerdy friend. It's a bit messed up here and there but this is the first plush I ever made and I'm pretty pleased.

Yes, the colour palette in my room is commonly referred to as "Skittle Barf". :j:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Sometimes I feel like I'm going about this whole "earning money" thing entirely the wrong way. Maybe it's time to just quit my job, infiltrate *insert crazy fandom* and take all their money.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
^^^I don't think you'll have to worry, if there is anything you can count on in the world it's that nerds will pay ridiculous amounts of money for anything related to stuff they like.

Gonna try to finish my dachshund plush this week. First time working with a pattern, hand-sewn, no experience worth mentioning, so many do-overs and fuckups :gonk:

How do I sew up the last part after stuffing it without having the stitches showing?

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Perfectly good might be a bit of an overstatement but yay, I finished! I will never hand stitch anything this big ever again. Ever. I hosed up the nose, the stitches show everywhere, I forgot to sew up the darts and then hosed those up and I made about a million other mistakes BUT it still looks pretty cute. :unsmith:

I haven't decided yet whether it will have button eyes or doll eyes.

I actually finished a frustrating and repetitive task! :woop:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Thanks guys!

I found the pattern for free online here. She also has a lot of other patterns, mostly creepy anime dolls and regular animals. I think my next project will be the stuffed pig. :)

Edit: More patterns can be found on her blog: http://nuno-runo.blogspot.com/

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 16, 2011

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Radio! posted:

Hand-stitching. I guess I just need more practice.

For me it helps draw a line on the inside of the fabric with a marker (I use the specials ones for toddlers that are made to wash out of clothing easily :haw:) and just follow that. Getting your lines just right is much easier when drawing them, I tend to lose track of the bigger picture when doing it stitch by stitch without a guide. Especially in small hand-sewn things tiny variations show up like crazy :)

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 10, 2011

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Finally exams are over so I had time to take my sewing machine for a test drive! Please excuse the horrible attempt at embroidery, I just slapped it on since this is just a little practice piece to see whether I could sew something without making the machine explode :saddowns:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Brainbread posted:

If you want to be really lazy at embroidery, like me, here is a copout. Take a length of yarn, and stitch it (via looping around the yarn, through the fabric, repeat) in the same shape. Then you get nice, thick lines and its incredibly easy.

I should probably learn how to embroider though (its what I do for the eyes of my beanies). To make it even easier, I draw the shape first with a fabric marker, one of the ones that disappears after like, a day.

Edit: Simple cute things are the best.

That is such a good idea, plus I've got a knitting roommate I can steal scraps of yarn from! If I really need to embroider something I should buy some actual embroidery floss anyway, half-assing it on cheapass felt with regular black thread while drinking French box wine is not a recipe for success.

I've just been using a moist 4b pencil to lightly draw the lines on, I bought one of those special white pencils but it doesn't work at all no matter what I do :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

blackflare posted:

I made a quick project as a gift for a friend's kid.

:3:

Neat! I want to make a similar dinosaur for a friend who will be having a baby any moment now. I'm planning to try my hand at modifying a pig plush pattern into a stegosaurus but if it turns into a mess I have the same pattern you used lying around for backup :D

I've never sewn with fleece before though, will a regular stitch suffice?

I've also found this crinkle paper for baby toys and was thinking of giving it crinkly back-plates, do I sew that together with the plates or put it in loose?

• Locked thread