Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Oh man, I feel kind of weird posting here when everybody else is so talented. I'm kind of just starting out making plushes but seeing these masterpieces is encouraging - I hope I can get as good as you guys someday. I've been sewing for about a year but I only just started making plushes. Mostly it's because I'm a nerd and I like to make other nerds happy.

Lately I've been making geeky little plushes, mostly from Zelda. Aside from the ones below I'm also working on plushes of the mystical seeds from Oracle of Ages/Seasons. All of the Zelda plushes are hand-sewn.

The Link plush is for size comparison only, I didn't make him.

And this, I just made this evening. I'm pretty pleased with it but the fabric had considerable puckering by the end of it. I'm kind of new at sewing so I'm not sure if it's just the really thin fabric or if I'm using the wrong stitch. Anyway, this one is going to my friend in Massachusetts but I'll be making some more to sell on Etsy along with my other plushes up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

For tackling issues like fabric puckering around armpits and crotches of stuffed animals (fun fun!) be sure to read up about clipping and notching.

It will help with that considerably!

Also, I like your weird monster!

Oh, cool. I'll try that out next time. Also my weird monster is a thing from an anime, actually. He's known as Chiyo-chan's father, which doesn't really make sense even in context.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

kreyla posted:

I love the idea of plush rupees! A little basket of poofy faux grass stuffed with rupees! :D But I really think it would look nicer to have the edging done in embroidery thread or even glued cord rather than puff paint. Puff paint makes me think of 80s shirts and Bedazzlers.

I made this version of the Love Elephant with a pretty knit I got at a garage sale!

And this adorable deer from a book of japanese plushies!

Lovely work, there! I agree that embroidery or cord would look nicer. I'm just starting out so I have no clue about embroidery, actually. I'm wondering if it's something I should get into, it could add nice detail to plushes I make in the future.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
These ponies. :psyduck: If I had the skills to make those I could live like a king.

In other news, this is what I made for my boyfriend for his birthday.

I drove to his house with the plush buckled into the passenger's seat. The boyfriend was half asleep when he came out to help me with my stuff, and I imagine seeing this staring at him through the car window was very surreal.

He loved it. :3:

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Brainbread posted:

My god that is adorable. Good work!

Is it from anything? Or original?

It's from a show called Azumanga Daioh - it's a character that mostly appears in dreams and in plush form. I introduced the show to the boyfriend and he took to it really quickly. A scene from the show where this character is odd and confuses people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFBZBAbbKt8

When I try to explain to people that the thing I made is a cat, I also have to explain it doesn't really make sense in context either. Either way I recommend the show, it's cute without being cloying and pretty funny.

Ninja Edit: Also, thank you for the compliment! :3:

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
I left this thread for way too long! Still been making plushes, but without the insane amount of improvement everyone else has been making. drat, goons, you make a fine plush. Here's what I've made in the past few months:

A plant cell. Thinking about making some throw pillow-sized versions at some point, with animal cell versions to match. But I have to get money first because I'd love to use fleece and fleece costs money.

And now, Moomin crafts. Since catching Moominmania from the Comic Strip Megathread, I've been inspired to create things out of felt, which I either had lying around or could afford with small change.

The Groke, who spends most of her time terrifying all of my nerdy figures.

The Moomin family, in the forms of severed heads on pins.

And finally, a Hattifattener. I didn't make the Mr. Saturn there, but I thought they would look good next to each other, staring enigmatically together.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Here's what I've been working on recently:

2-way clips on plush jellyfish. This one was my first and ended up a little bit messy-looking, but I'm making another one today for my friend. I also plan on making more in white and black, along with these ivory ones.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Brainbread posted:

Very cute! They a quick project, or do they take a couple of hours to make?

Thank you! :3: Due to the small bits and the fiddly nature of the fabric, it can take up a lot of time, up to two hours if I make a lot of mistakes like I usually do. Once I get a few more made, I might put together a tutorial. People who are better at sewing might be able to do it a lot more quickly than I can.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Put these together last night.

Made of fleece, hand-stitching and the most rudimentary of embroidery. I hope it's apparent that they are chess pawns, I admit they're a little simplistic.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
^^ He's so dapper. :allears:

I took all the necessary photos for a tutorial for my jellyfish plushes last month, so I'll be able to put it together pretty soon. I'm still not sure how I'm to host it, so I guess I'll throw it out to the lovely people here. Should I post the full tutorial in the thread, or does anyone know of a website that lets you host in-depth tutorials?

As far as my next plush project, I think I'm going to make a Whimsicott because I'm a Pokemon nerd.

I'm fairly certain I can do it - there aren't a ton of difficult 3-dimensional shapes to figure out. It's mostly a matter of getting the fabric and finding the time to get it done. I also plan on hand-stitching the whole darn thing because I find it therapeutic and I can do it easily between classes.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

I created a blogger for my tutorials, so here's the first one on jellyfish plushes! The tutorial is designed for both beginners and folks with more advanced skills, so at points I do over-explain some things. I hope you find it useful, and I'd love to see any jellyfish you guys make!

Edit: I also made a little something today.

A plush jammy dodger pin made of fleece and wrong-side costuming satin. Spur of the moment crafts are really the most fun for me to do.

Sudden Guts Pill fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
This is sort of small and silly, but I thought I would hand-stitch together a mouse for my friend.

• Locked thread