Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How often does Disney let its marvel movies go on sale? I assume the answer is “never,” but I’d like to start buying them up and I’m fine with waiting until Black Friday/cyber Monday if it means I’ll be able to catch a deal.

Well, I just picked up Spider-Man: Homecoming as part of Amazon's "3 4K Blu Rays for $50" sale, but I'm not sure if that deal includes every 4K disc they have or just certain ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Last Jedi UHD just got delivered here in NZ.
It'll be the first 4k native disk I've watched at home :toot:

edit: This movie is punishing me for my sweet 2.0 setup. When the music's cranking in space battles, radio chatter between ships is pretty much obliterated.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 28, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh wow.

They did charge me the 80 bucks right now.

Great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has Criterion's "Classic Hitchcock" set for just under $70 - it includes The Man Who Knew Too Much, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, and Foreign Correspondent. Same discs as the separate releases, but it's $10 cheaper than getting them separately at a B&N or flash sale.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I feel like I’m going crazy, but I picked up a copy of Lara Croft Tomb Raider but now I cannot find that version of it online to catalog it. Like Amazon says it doesn’t exist, Walmart doesn’t have (despite me buying it there), Best Buy, Target. Nothing. Do I own some kind Mandela Effect alternate dimension version of Tomb Raider with a slightly different cover?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Liar Lyre posted:

I feel like I’m going crazy, but I picked up a copy of Lara Croft Tomb Raider but now I cannot find that version of it online to catalog it. Like Amazon says it doesn’t exist, Walmart doesn’t have (despite me buying it there), Best Buy, Target. Nothing. Do I own some kind Mandela Effect alternate dimension version of Tomb Raider with a slightly different cover?

Have you checked blu-ray.com?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty sure the aforementioned blu-ray.com lets you search by UPC too.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

codyclarke posted:

Have you checked blu-ray.com?

That’s the first thing I did because I use their app to catalog my collection. If anyone wants to try and figure this out, here’s photos of the front and back. It’s copyrighted 2018, so I’m assuming it’s a fresh pressing to coincide with the new movie. It’s just odd that it’s not showing up anywhere.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Liar Lyre posted:

That’s the first thing I did because I use their app to catalog my collection. If anyone wants to try and figure this out, here’s photos of the front and back. It’s copyrighted 2018, so I’m assuming it’s a fresh pressing to coincide with the new movie. It’s just odd that it’s not showing up anywhere.

I use Collectorz for my cataloguing and it found it under that barcode, but the cover is wrong and it doesn't give me any info on an edition or release date.

Collectorz pulls info from their own database and user-submitted entries. I've had this kind of thing happen before with brand-new releases, my guess is it'll pop up in the blu-ray.com database eventually.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
A friendly reminder that BBY and probably Amazon are blowing out a bunch 3D Blu-Rays. Gravity is $9.99, Edge of Tomorrow, they had the Hobbit trilogy at $9.99 each. Spider-Man: Homecoming is $14.99 which is cheaper than the regular BD, I’m p sure.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I took this from a different forum (Blu-ray.com):

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/products/search?listing_sort=10&limit=100&power_search=Start%2BSearch&ps%5Bpublisher%5D=Code+Red&pf%5B6%5D=6

A whole bunch of Code Red titles at $14.99 or under. Some really awesome titles if you like trashy garbage cinema like me. I grabbed The Strangeness and Black Candles.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
At $9.99 I had to scoop of After the Fall of New York

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Which of these UHD Blu-Rays are absolute must-gets? I'm considering getting an Xbox One S mainly for the UHD player inside because I already have a PS4 Pro for all my gaming needs, but I just got a 4K TV recently and I want to see some real eye-poppingly loving gorgeous 4K content, and the base One S is just above $200 on Amazon now so it's not insanely expensive.

I know not a ton of movies are on UHD yet, but I have these on my Amazon wish list and love all these, so if I were to get an XB1, which would be absolutely essential to buy with the system?

2001 A Space Odyssey (pre-order)
Blade Runner 2049
Chappie
John Wick / John Wick Chapter 2
Lucy
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Purge Trilogy
Sicario
Terminator 2

I have some of these on Blu-Ray already but I want to see what the full power of this 4K TV with HDR is like.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard fury road looks so good that it kinda hurts the movie because you can start to see the CG more

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

if I were to get an XB1, which would be absolutely essential to buy with the system?

Blade Runner 2049
Sicario

These. Also the original Blade Runner is great on 4k, too.

Terminator 2 is especially poo poo on 4k.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Empress Brosephine posted:

I heard fury road looks so good that it kinda hurts the movie because you can start to see the CG more
Didn't they not even use that much CG though? Like I thought that movie was mostly practical effects with minimal CG stuff like digital removal of certain things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s a ton of CGI in the movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Which of these UHD Blu-Rays are absolute must-gets? I'm considering getting an Xbox One S mainly for the UHD player inside because I already have a PS4 Pro for all my gaming needs, but I just got a 4K TV recently and I want to see some real eye-poppingly loving gorgeous 4K content, and the base One S is just above $200 on Amazon now so it's not insanely expensive.

I know not a ton of movies are on UHD yet, but I have these on my Amazon wish list and love all these, so if I were to get an XB1, which would be absolutely essential to buy with the system?

Blade Runner 2049
Chappie
Lucy
The Purge Trilogy
Sicario
Terminator 2

I have some of these on Blu-Ray already but I want to see what the full power of this 4K TV with HDR is like.

Here’s a good list
http://realorfake4k.com/demos/

And Blu-ray.com is usually pretty good for actual visual reviews.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GonSmithe posted:

Here’s a good list
http://realorfake4k.com/demos/

And Blu-ray.com is usually pretty good for actual visual reviews.
Thanks, didn't know about that site and it definitely seems like it'll be helpful :)

Also I didn't know La La Land was out on UHD. Nice, I'll have to add that one to my wish list. The site says it's fake 4K, but I've still been meaning to rewatch it. I saw it twice in theaters but not since and I'm sure that's the best way to see it now.

Also I guess the UHD name is misleading since a lot of these seem to be fake 4K. Apparently they look better than regular Blu-Rays, but still.

You can't rent these things from Redbox, can you?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 31, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve always quite liked hidefdigest.com for reviews too. You can have a good 2K > 4K upscale that’s worthwhile if there’s good HDR, which is generally more the selling point as depending on size of screen/distance/eyesight you might not be able to resolve the difference between FHD and UHD anyway. It’s always nice to get the best tho.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Blade Runner 2049
Chappie
Lucy
The Purge Trilogy
Sicario
Terminator 2

I'd be careful about getting the One S, a lot of people had a problem with 4K Blu Rays having extremely washed out colors. I replaced mine with the One X and it works fine, but it's also a lot more expensive.

Didn't they not even use that much CG though? Like I thought that movie was mostly practical effects with minimal CG stuff like digital removal of certain things.

Most of the explosions were done with a mix of practical effects and CGI.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Also I guess the UHD name is misleading since a lot of these seem to be fake 4K. Apparently they look better than regular Blu-Rays, but still.

It's a problem with the format arriving at a time where it's still too costly for effects laden productions to render at or above the native resolution. And those are exactly the movies you'd usually expect to be AV demo material. The Last Jedi arriving in actual 4k is a bit of a turning point, hopefully.
Even with straight digital photography, some DOPs prefer certain cameras that don't even reach 4k. Blade Runner 2 was shot sub natively, while shows have been made for Netflix in real 4k for years.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of studios do 2K digital intermediates just to save time. Not long ago I read that it's typical for a sound editor to only get 2 days to do an entire film.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

My rule of thumb for buying 4K is either something with a bright and interesting color palette or if I can get it for under $20. Like I really didn’t need Ex Machina in 4K, but it was like $10-$15 on Black Friday so grabbed it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Monday_ posted:

I'd be careful about getting the One S, a lot of people had a problem with 4K Blu Rays having extremely washed out colors. I replaced mine with the One X and it works fine, but it's also a lot more expensive.

Most of the explosions were done with a mix of practical effects and CGI.

Also they digitally extended the cavalcade of cars chasing them - they only shot with maybe like twenty cars going at once, mostly because after a certain number, it would become unwieldy to keep track of everything and raise the likelihood of a horrible accident occurring on what was already an intensely dangerous production by design. Better to shoot with what you know your crew can handle and just add cars in the background in post.

At this point UHD players have dropped price precipitously - I bought a Samsung UHD player last year for $200 that looking on Amazon now is a whopping $108. LG sells one without wifi that's straight up around $100 (all it really means is you have to have it wired for updates). I've had zero problems with discs on my Samsung, though, so I'd recommend that ahead of an Xbox One unless you're set up for Atmos sound (since I think the Xbone S is in the price ballpark of other Atmos-ready players). You might run into the same problems Monday_ has had with an S, though. There isn't really a ~perfect~ UHD player out there, unfortunately.

Also, UHD disc recommendation: Close Encounters. I've tried to pick up 60s and 70s movies as they've released, the fine texture of film grain and the precision of a lot of the color reproduction made possible by HDR makes a lot of that era's movies look loving amazing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Monday_ posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of studios do 2K digital intermediates just to save time. Not long ago I read that it's typical for a sound editor to only get 2 days to do an entire film.

I remember back when the Incredibles was being released, and the film prints were struck at a 4k resolution as opposed to 2k which was normal for the time.

Movie studios seem to move really loving slowly in terms of technology.

Jaws, released in 1975, only had a mono mix made at the time. Even into the mid 80s, a lot of films were still only getting mono mixes.

So I'm not surprised to not see them use 4k.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know the Star Wars prequels were shot digitally on something less than full 1080, not that they were ever particularly good-looking movies to begin with. They're mostly CG and not the good kind of CG either.

e: Or maybe it was just one or two of the prequels...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Phantom Menace was still mostly shot on film with real sets, models and miniatures, so there would be some benefit to going UHD.
It was pre-DI, so there would be plenty of pure film wherever there wasn't an integrated digital effect.
Doubt they'd ever bother, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 1, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It was AOTC and ROTS, they were shot with 2K cameras.

I do remember being able to see the resolution limitations for AOTC clearly in digital projection, but whatever they did in ROTS hid it pretty well.

(Shakes cane and rocks back and forth in rocking chair) The first digital projection I ever saw in a theater was Toy Story 1, it was 1024 wide and you could see a pixel grille!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 1, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Phantom Menace was still mostly shot on film with real sets, models and miniatures, so there would be some benefit to going UHD.
It was pre-DI, so there would be plenty of pure film wherever there wasn't an integrated digital effect.
Doubt they'd ever bother, though.

Yeah but then there's also the issue that it's the Phantom Menace.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Steve Yun posted:

It was AOTC and ROTS, they were shot with 2K cameras.

I do remember being able to see the resolution limitations for AOTC clearly in digital projection, but whatever they did in ROTS hid it pretty well.

(Shakes cane and rocks back and forth in rocking chair) The first digital projection I ever saw in a theater was Toy Story 1, it was 1024 wide and you could see a pixel grille!

ROTS was and still is one of the best digital projections I've ever seen in my life. I'd really be curious to know what they did to achieve that, if it was 2K. That's incredible.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Not sure if any of you are cool with buying used Blu-rays, but today only secondspin.com has a 41% off code, APRIL18. I used it to pick up some Criterion titles and Studio Ghibli releases.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As great as the new Suspiria blu is, I think that new Night of the Living Dead transfer on the Criterion is even more mind blowing. I felt like I was almost discovering a completely new film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you're a fan of golden-age animation, Thunderbean has some neat Blu-ray sets:
https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...ab=&vasStoreID=

They're also working on Ub Iwerks' Flip the Frog and ComiColor cartoons, all from original elements whenever possible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oppo has quit making UHD (or any other) players.
https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oppo has quit making UHD (or any other) players.
https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

I guess people weren't interested in paying 400 dollars for a blu-ray player.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

roffels posted:

Not sure if any of you are cool with buying used Blu-rays, but today only secondspin.com has a 41% off code, APRIL18. I used it to pick up some Criterion titles and Studio Ghibli releases.

Just wanted to thank you for posting this site and sale. I ended up buying 33 CDs for about $140 after shipping. I've been looking for something to replace that GoHastings.com niche for a while.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

IUG posted:

Just wanted to thank you for posting this site and sale. I ended up buying 33 CDs for about $140 after shipping. I've been looking for something to replace that GoHastings.com niche for a while.

You're welcome and wish you luck. I haven't had any issues with buying movies from them, but from the handful of CD's I've bought, one was the wrong album title/artist entirely, and another was just an empty jewel case. Both were at a price point that felt like it would be more hassle to try to return so I'm just annoyed by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey everyone, this thread is literally 8 years old so I've made a new one. If you have any ideas of what else I should include in the new OP, let me know in the new thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853471

• Locked thread