Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

We can still post random stuff on BluRay, right?

I went to Walmart to pick up Doctor Zhivago and they only had DVD copies. :argh:

However, they had a whole stack of Close Encounters of the Third Kind for $15. It seems to be the exact same edition with the excellent slipcase, booklet, and poster, except with an insert added advertising newer discs like Nine and Planet 51. It was nearly $40 when it first came out in 2007!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

Speaking of this, why is nobody else doing it?

I'll do it for modern, since I don't own any classics at the moment, but I know everyone will make fun of me for my list.

Here we go......

Modern
Star Trek
American History X
The Dark Knight
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Troy
Iron Man
The Departed

I swear I'm not 17 I just really like more recent movies. I like old movies also, but I just started working on my bluray collection a few months ago and haven't bought that many "older" movies. I have a huge list that I'm working on finishing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I don't own as many discs as some people here but I'll list my favorites anyway. These are releases that have both great restorations/transfers and great supplements. The Warner classics in particular always seemed to be stuffed with extra material.

Classics
Gone With the Wind
The Searchers
The Adventures of Robin Hood
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Wizard of Oz
Blade Runner
North by Northwest
8 1/2

Modern
Toy Story 1/2
District 9
Zodiac
Lost (All seasons)

Avatar is probably the best looking/sounding disc I own but since it has zero extra features it's not on my list. The Searchers is probably the best looking "classic" I've got, those desert vistas are absolutely stunning in 1080p. My favorite extras are on The Adventures of Robin Hood, in particular the "Warner Night at the Movies 1939" and the Looney Tunes shorts.

You also can't go wrong with any of the Criterion releases, as well as anything from Pixar or Disney (well, animated Disney, not "Old Dogs" Disney)

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Daveski posted:

Avatar is probably the best looking/sounding disc I own but since it has zero extra features it's not on my list.

Because they want to re-release it this holiday season as a special edition. We should just refer to the upcoming Avatar as Avatar 2.0 or perhaps Avatar: Milk It for Every Dollar Edition.

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

Joe Der Maus posted:

Another good place to find blu-ray screenshots is http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/screenshots
They update kidof slowly, but they have 20-30 shots from each film.
The screenshots there are nice, but I find that site more useful for its review index: http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/reviews.

HDDb.net and DVD-BASEN are also helpful in that regard.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

1) I've got a few Blu-Rays that I haven't watched yet.
2) I listen on headphones, and I often don't see the visual flaws that others seem to pick up on, so my picks would be based mostly on the movies I like the most, or have the best extras
3) ...I kinda think it's a dumb idea.

I'll probably still post my list at some point though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I found this gem on Sony's website:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...98&N=4294953240

$700 for a decent mid-range notebook that doubles as a portable BluRay player is fairly awesome. Panasonic's portable BluRay player is the same price!

Edit: Thanks FFD.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 5, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

I found this gem on Sony's website:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...ategoryId=16154

$700 for a decent mid-range notebook that doubles as a portable BluRay player is fairly awesome. Panasonic's portable BluRay player is the same price!

That link has a digital camera, a pink VAIO, an eReader and an LCD TV :confused:

EDIT: I think you meant to post this http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...98&N=4294953240

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 5, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
When I was shopping for a new laptop a few months ago, one of my main requirements was that it have a Blu-Ray drive, obviously so I could watch my movies while traveling. Having an HDMI port is nice too so you can connect it to any HDTV on the go. The Vaio I ended up getting was about $150 more than that, but an infinitely superior machine. Never buy directly from Sony.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New Beaver reviews:

Stagecoach
Dolan's Cadillac
Katyn

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Because they want to re-release it this holiday season as a special edition. We should just refer to the upcoming Avatar as Avatar 2.0 or perhaps Avatar: Milk It for Every Dollar Edition.

Would it be wise to assume that the re-release will contain the current disc as-is or will they sacrifice the A/V quality for special features (it's bound to have a commentary at least)? Wondering how much I need to buy it or not. I haven't actually seen any stores demoing it for some reason.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Hot Tub Time Machine June 29.
Greenberg July 13.

Aside from Antichrist, The Thin Red Line, and The Seven Samurai which we already knew were coming, looks like Criterion will be releasing Videodrome and The Darjeeling Limited soon as well.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As far as DO NOT BUY list, a lot of stuff is really subjective and all those nice words meaning "people are wrong", but there's pretty much a universal hatred for three movies: 28 Days Later, Patton, and the original release of Full Metal Jacket (the white cover with the helmet on it).

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Tony Danza Claus posted:

As far as DO NOT BUY list, a lot of stuff is really subjective and all those nice words meaning "people are wrong", but there's pretty much a universal hatred for three movies: 28 Days Later, Patton, and the original release of Full Metal Jacket (the white cover with the helmet on it).

Well 28 Days Later is not a "poor" release in terms of faithfulness - the film was shot in standard definition, so there's simply nothing that can be done to make it look better. If you like the film, and don't have the DVD already, you certainly can't go wrong with the Blu-ray - the high definition audio is great, and the last scene of the movie was shot on film and is in true 1080p. The rest is upscaled and looks about the same as an upscaled DVD.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cacator posted:

Would it be wise to assume that the re-release will contain the current disc as-is or will they sacrifice the A/V quality for special features (it's bound to have a commentary at least)? Wondering how much I need to buy it or not. I haven't actually seen any stores demoing it for some reason.

They're won't be any "sacrifice" of quality. Bitrate in movies is like Ghz on computers - people fixate on those numbers but they aren't automatic indicators of quality.

While too little bitrate obviously will make a movie look worse, higher bitrates can quickly get to a point of diminishing or no returns. Avatar could have easily been a smaller size with no perceivable quality difference.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Bambi posted:

Aside from Antichrist, The Thin Red Line, and The Seven Samurai which we already knew were coming, looks like Criterion will be releasing Videodrome and The Darjeeling Limited soon as well.

Where did you find this out?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I'm finally making the jump to blu-ray. Should I rebuy Blade Runner?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bambi posted:

I haven't seen every blu, but some that stand out to me in terms of PQ:
Fight Club
Planet Earth
Fantastic Mr Fox
The Third Man
Inglourious Basterds
Blade Runner
Dark Knight
Star Trek
Moon

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I'm finally making the jump to blu-ray. Should I rebuy Blade Runner?
Which version do you have now?

fenix down fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 5, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The Lucas posted:

Where did you find this out?

Amazon has put up pre-order pages for all 5 titles, meaning they're all likely to come out in August/September. Gonna be a great friggin couple of months for Criterion, especially if House comes out around then too.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I have 2/3 :suicide:

At least my Full Metal Jacket is the new one.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

fenix down posted:

Which version do you have now?

The five disc "Ultimate Collector's Edition".

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Bambi posted:

Amazon has put up pre-order pages for all 5 titles, meaning they're all likely to come out in August/September. Gonna be a great friggin couple of months for Criterion, especially if House comes out around then too.

House will be announced this month. NY Times broke it already.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ProfessorClumsy posted:

In that case I'd say get the bd from Netflix before you make the decision. I have the Final Cut dvd and opted for other titles instead of double-dipping.

Funkyboss
Feb 24, 2002

Bambi posted:

Hot Tub Time Machine
The Seven Samurai
Videodrome
The Darjeeling Limited.

This post makes me very happy in my bathing suit area. Darjeeling Ltd wasn't my favorite Wes Anderson but I haven't seen it since the theater so I need to give it another shot.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

House will be announced this month. NY Times broke it already.

It's supposedly coming out on September 7th, so it will probably be announced next month. The only certain (well, 95% certain) Criterion announcement this month is the von Sternberg set.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Funkyboss posted:

This post makes me very happy in my bathing suit area. Darjeeling Ltd wasn't my favorite Wes Anderson but I haven't seen it since the theater so I need to give it another shot.
I just watched it again the other day. The main difference between Darjeeling and his other films is that it's pretty serious, and not punctuated with humor. To me, the only laugh out loud scene is when they are picking up the hot rod. So the movie props itself up on the characterizations of 3 mentally disturbed people - and really everyone they come across is dealing with issues of their own, so it is very dark.

However, anyone who has seen it really owes it to themselves to watch the behind the scenes featurette. The amount of artistic detail is astounding.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

It's supposedly coming out on September 7th, so it will probably be announced next month. The only certain (well, 95% certain) Criterion announcement this month is the von Sternberg set.

Any word if they are handling the other IFC releases (Red Riding, Enter The Void, ect.) I know they are a way off but I'm still a bit curious. Also I cannot loving wait to buy House on blu-ray, god that movie was so much fun.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Funkyboss posted:

I'll take any Wes Anderson on blu there is, so I'm happy. Only I'm curious that Criterion is releasing the Blu-Ray when the DVD wasn't released by them.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

If you're in Norway, Platekompaniet will upgrade your DVDs to Blu-Ray for 79,- (that's NOK not USD), and I believe there's a limit of 2 dvd upgrades per person.
I can't find this on their website, but there was a huge promotional poster saying this in the store I was in earlier today.

I think they're finally getting their poo poo together and is going to start focusing on Blu-Ray rather than just dump whatever they have on BD in some obscure corner :dance: Now if they only could lower their prices, because right now it is cheaper to buy BDs through Amazon UK/Play.com/etc. with shipping than the prices that Platekompaniet offer. (e.g BBC's Life is $77.55 versus Amazon UK's $38.50 + shipping, Play.com sells it for $45.35 and shipping is free)

Edit: I mostly lurk, but I love this thread and the old one as they've been hugely informative and helpful.

Stellar Curiosity fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 5, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Apparently WB just dropped a lot of prices on their DVD to Blu exchange program. Not sure if that title is eligible, but it's worth checking out. I should probably add something about that to the op when I get home too.

Speaking of not being home, I'm visiting friends across the country, yet sure enough when I walked into the Best Buy here, they had M on the shelf a week early.

I also find it kind of strange that I have nearly 800 Blu-Rays, but just now purchased my first Bond film on the format. Goldfinger looks outstanding though.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

doctor thodt posted:

Apparently WB just dropped a lot of prices on their DVD to Blu exchange program. Not sure if that title is eligible, but it's worth checking out. I should probably add something about that to the op when I get home too.

I just checked because I still haven't done the exchange (haven't had an extra $80 laying around for a while now) and it's still 14.95 for Blade Runner and Planet Earth (and those themed collections that I'm guessing few people bought).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Crackbone posted:

They're won't be any "sacrifice" of quality. Bitrate in movies is like Ghz on computers - people fixate on those numbers but they aren't automatic indicators of quality.

While too little bitrate obviously will make a movie look worse, higher bitrates can quickly get to a point of diminishing or no returns. Avatar could have easily been a smaller size with no perceivable quality difference.

Going to have to disagree slightly here. But before I do, the Avatar special edition is supposed to come with like 4 BDs, so I'm guessing it's going to be alright (and that they will then have me buying two copies of exactly the same thing because I am a sucker). That said, obviously we don't have a 25GB capacity copy to compare it to, and I'm not going to go pirate the damned movie that I own just to see how it looks encoded down to DVD size with H.264... But the amount of detail in every single shot is loving ludicrous, brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "reference quality" in the home theater context. I mean, granted also that we're talking about a compression from many terabytes down to measly gigabytes in the first place. But I've never seen anything like Avatar on my set, and I've got other BDs that wowed me before (especially liked the visuals on Wall-E, such a lovingly animated film). At the moment, nothing else compares, and given the level of detail I do think that it had a lot to do with the enormous bitrate.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
This "House" blu-ray that Criterion is releasing, is it the 80s horror movie, the crappier more recent horror movie, the show about the doctor, or what? I'm intrigued.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Topper Harley posted:

This "House" blu-ray that Criterion is releasing, is it the 80s horror movie, the crappier more recent horror movie, the show about the doctor, or what? I'm intrigued.

Hausu

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076162/

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Bambi posted:

Hot Tub Time Machine June 29.
Greenberg July 13.

I hope Videodrome keeps the awesome packaging they used for the dvd.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Agreed posted:

Going to have to disagree slightly here. But before I do, the Avatar special edition is supposed to come with like 4 BDs, so I'm guessing it's going to be alright (and that they will then have me buying two copies of exactly the same thing because I am a sucker). That said, obviously we don't have a 25GB capacity copy to compare it to, and I'm not going to go pirate the damned movie that I own just to see how it looks encoded down to DVD size with H.264... But the amount of detail in every single shot is loving ludicrous, brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "reference quality" in the home theater context. I mean, granted also that we're talking about a compression from many terabytes down to measly gigabytes in the first place. But I've never seen anything like Avatar on my set, and I've got other BDs that wowed me before (especially liked the visuals on Wall-E, such a lovingly animated film). At the moment, nothing else compares, and given the level of detail I do think that it had a lot to do with the enormous bitrate.

Except there are numerous other movies that are described as reference grade, at that length, that come in at 40GB or maybe even less.

Beside that, you're basically eating up the studio PR. The studio obviously wanted to do a blatant double dip, and put out the BR as quickly as possible. Claiming the film needed the whole disc spins their greed into a marketing positive.

And I have seen 40G discs vs their 8G rips before. There is a difference but I'd wager most people would be hard pressed to see it. Not that there isn't a difference, but if you can get a great-looking picture out of poo poo like 8G handbrake re-encodes, it's ludicrous to think that aggressive manipulation of bitrates by a studio encode couldn't get smaller sizes. It's just that with 50G discs there's no reason to do so.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Please don't accuse me of "eating up their studio PR" like I'm some dumbfuck who is ignorant of the technologies involved. That's just offensive. I even acknowledged that buying it twice was a sucker move, what in the world makes you think that I am a tool for the studios?

Anyway, you acknowledge that there are differences, we just care about them to different degrees. That's all there is to it, no need to come out swinging. I've compared BDs to h.264 rips of BDs and there are definite, noticeable differences. If you don't care, that's fine, but please refrain from stomping on others' toes for legitimately disagreeing.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Agreed posted:

Please don't accuse me of "eating up their studio PR" like I'm some dumbfuck who is ignorant of the technologies involved. That's just offensive. I even acknowledged that buying it twice was a sucker move, what in the world makes you think that I am a tool for the studios?

Anyway, you acknowledge that there are differences, we just care about them to different degrees. That's all there is to it, no need to come out swinging. I've compared BDs to h.264 rips of BDs and there are definite, noticeable differences. If you don't care, that's fine, but please refrain from stomping on others' toes for legitimately disagreeing.

Fair enough, but you're using phrases like "brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'reference quality'" hopefully you can see why I might think you're drinking the kool-aid a bit. I mean, at the end of the day the detail looks fantastic because it's both digitally shot live action (so no grain) and when you CG something you can make it look crystal clear (no worrying about focal points, proper lighting, etc).

And my point about 40G vs 8G is with a 32G difference, the difference is still not that big. I mean, would you throw your hands up in disgust and say it was unwatchable/looked like a DVD? I assume not, in which case I hope you would agree that the difference between 42G and 49G is probably unnoticeable.

Non edit EDIT: I just looked it up and funnily enough, apparently the movie is still only 45GB on disc. Is that the practical limit on a bluray? Also, Wall-E was only 22G!

Actual edit EDIT: Star Trek 09, which is considered a fantastic transfer, has a higher average bitrate (~32Mbps) than Avatar (~28Mbps), which you claim is a new level of reference grade. So obviously bitrate isn't everything.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 5, 2010

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Simpsons season 13 announced on both DVD and Blu-ray. Kinda surprised about the BD announcement - Season 20 made sense as that's when they switched to widescreen and HD, but Season 13 would just be an upscale to 1080p unless they went back to the animation cells and rescanned or something (assuming that's even possible, I don't know exactly how farmed-out-to-Korea animated shows are produced, and what material is archived after an episode is produced). Most likely, it will just be upscaled - considering that the first half of season 20 (before the HD switch) was clearly upscaled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Fair enough, but you're using phrases like "brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'reference quality'" hopefully you can see why I might think you're drinking the kool-aid a bit. I mean, at the end of the day the detail looks fantastic because it's both digitally shot live action (so no grain) and when you CG something you can make it look crystal clear (no worrying about focal points, proper lighting, etc).

And my point about 40G vs 8G is with a 32G difference, the difference is still not that big. I mean, would you throw your hands up in disgust and say it was unwatchable/looked like a DVD? I assume not, in which case I hope you would agree that the difference between 42G and 49G is probably unnoticeable.

Non edit EDIT: I just looked it up and funnily enough, apparently the movie is still only 45GB on disc. Is that the practical limit on a bluray? Also, Wall-E was only 22G!

Actual edit EDIT: Star Trek 09, which is considered a fantastic transfer, has a higher average bitrate (~32Mbps) than Avatar (~28Mbps), which you claim is a new level of reference grade. So obviously bitrate isn't everything.

I've got both of 'em and Avatar is much better for showing off the capabilities of the set. I'm not saying that a few Mbps average is going to make all the difference in the world, and a lot of it has to do with the difference in the underlying material itself being visually stunning. Just for the sake of discussion I compared a DVD-sized h.264 encode of Zombieland to my BD of Zombieland, and while the DVD-sized one isn't poo poo or anything, probably looks better than most of what's on cable, the BD is just better. Like, way better. And I haven't heard that Zombieland is a particularly amazing transfer (or not), just observation.

The idea of what "the average person" (edit: sorry, you said "most people") cares about starts you down a pretty silly rabbit-hole. Does the average person care about 1080p? Is the average person hooking up composite cables to their new 1080p set with Dynamic Contrast processing and Black Enhancement squashing the poo poo out of their colors and Motion+ interpolation making everything look like it was shot on video, thinking it's golden because that's what the salesman told them? Does the average person care about a good transfer versus a bad transfer? What's average in the context of this discussion? Let's just... leave average out, because frankly I don't know what average even means here, and talk about us. Alright? I for one care about good transfers and avoiding compression artifacts to the greatest degree possible and bitrate plays a significant role in that.

Wall-E still looks a lot better on BD than on DVD, no doubt about it, but that doesn't mean it's on the same level as dual-layer high quality transfers. Whether you care about that distinction or not is up to you.

• Locked thread