Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My copy of Avatar is out for delivery right now, so i'll finally get to watch the blu-ray today. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

Criminal Minded posted:

This cannot come soon enough.

Jesus Christ it's expensive, but I will buy this.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diseased Yak posted:

Jesus Christ it's expensive, but I will buy this.

It'll come down by the release date, but probably not much below $30, if at all.

The city I've been in for the past few days has it playing at a dollar theater, but I vowed to wait for the Blu-Ray to watch it again. Gary at DVD Beaver said of the UK release: "I can honestly say that this might be the best looking blu-ray that I've ever come across."

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

It'll come down by the release date, but probably not much below $30, if at all.
And, as I'm sure you know, it's worth every penny.

One of the best of the year.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some upcoming Lionsgate titles:

Ladybugs
Jimmy Hollywood
Johnny Handsome
Rambo: Extended Cut
Rambo: The Complete Collector's Set
Lock Up

The Digital Bits posted:

The Rambo: Extended Cut Blu-ray (SRP $19.99) will include a 9-minute longer cut of the film, as well as an all-new, 90-minute Rambo: To Hell and Back video production diary.

The Rambo: The Complete Collection Blu-ray box set (SRP $54.99), contains all four films with extras (as previously released on the format), including the theatrical cut of Rambo.

Also these:

The Digital Bits posted:

The long-expected Quantum of Solace: Definitive Edition will arrive on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on 7/28. Look for audio commentaries and more new and exclusive bonus features, along with lenticular packaging.

Also, Paramount and DreamWorks will soon announced the comedy She's Out of My League for release on DVD and Blu-ray Disc, likely in July. We'll post additional details as they become available.

Finally, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has set Not the Messiah (He's a Very Naughty Boy) for DVD and Blu-ray release on 6/8 (SLP $24.96 & $30.95). For those unfamiliar with this, it's a recording of a one-time-only live performance of a "song oratorio inspired by" Monty Python's Life of Brian, featuring Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, and Terry Gilliam, at the Royal Albert Hall in London on October 23rd, 2009. Extras will include 3 featurettes (The Road to the Albert Hall, Showtime! and The Bright Side...) along with 6 sing-a-long songs. The Blu-ray will add BD-Live and movieIQ+sync.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am all over that Rambo collection. That is going to be sweet. All 4 movies are awesome.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Some upcoming Lionsgate titles:

Ladybugs
Jimmy Hollywood
Johnny Handsome
Rambo: Extended Cut
Rambo: The Complete Collector's Set
Lock Up

Also these:

Is that the Rodney Dangerfield Ladybugs?

I watched that movie way more times then I should probably admit when I was younger. Too bad Jonathan Brandis killed himself. I liked sidekicks when I was a kid and also watched Seaquest.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

How was the Rocky BD collection? I was close to buying it when I saw the local Wal-Mart had it in stock but the price is a bit steep without really knowing much about it (and not being THAT big of a Rocky fan). But if it's especially good, with a high quality transfer and good special features, etc., I may nab it and the Rambo collection just to have Stallone's iconic stuff.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Agreed posted:

How was the Rocky BD collection? I was close to buying it when I saw the local Wal-Mart had it in stock but the price is a bit steep without really knowing much about it (and not being THAT big of a Rocky fan). But if it's especially good, with a high quality transfer and good special features, etc., I may nab it and the Rambo collection just to have Stallone's iconic stuff.

I think it's great. Some people give the first film a lot of flak (for its Blu-Ray transfer), but I think it looks a great deal how a low-budget mid-seventies film should look in HD. It could probably use a bit of cleaning up, but it won't happen any time soon. So if you can find it at a good price, I'd say it's worth the plunge.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

A new Eureka - Masters of Cinema release. Shohei Imamura’s Profound Desires of the Gods (£19.99 RRP)

Click here for the full 500x646 image.

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content.php?contentid=72515

quote:

Presenting a vast chronicle of life on the remote Kurage Island, Imamura’s film comes to Blu-ray with the following features:

* Beautiful high-definition transfer, with exclusive digital image restoration
* New video introduction by film scholar Tony Rayns
* Original theatrical trailer (in 1080p)
* New English subtitle translation
* Extensive booklet with a new essay by Rayns (to accompany his introduction), rare stills, reprinted statements by Imamura, a lengthy 1994 career interview and a transcript of Imamura’s introduction and Q&A session at the 1994 Edinburgh International Film Festival’s screening of the film

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Daybreakers review at DVDBeaver

Are there boobs? Yes.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

FitFortDanga posted:

Daybreakers review at DVDBeaver

Are there boobs? Yes.

Hahaha. That's literally the only nudity in the movie and the shot is about 2 seconds long.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Question - the only recently filmed blu rays I've been disappointed with quality-wise are Hot Rod and Give Em Hell Malone. Were they shot with cheap film that doesn't convert to HD very well or something?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

fenix down posted:

Question - the only recently filmed blu rays I've been disappointed with quality-wise are Hot Rod and Give Em Hell Malone. Were they shot with cheap film that doesn't convert to HD very well or something?

I think it has more to do with the studios not paying for a better transfer than the ones that ended up on disc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino has details on Steamboat Bill, Jr.

* Complete alternate version of Steamboat Bill, Jr., comprised entirely of variant takes and camera angles
* Music by The Biograph Players presented in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
* Organ score by Lee Erwin
* Piano score by William Perry
* Documentary on the making of the film
* Stills Gallery
* "Why They Call Him Buster," a montage of pratfalls
* Two vintage recordings of the folk song "Steamboat Bill"

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
James and the Giant Peach August 3

e: Amazon now has a pre-order page for the fabled re-release of Predator (June 29) which will supposedly be re-mastered, provide a plethora of extras, and contain movie cash for Predators.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 8, 2010

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Anyone heard anything about a possible release of The Wire on blu-ray?

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Some short reviews of the quality of the Blu-Rays I own:

Pulp Fiction
Utter poo poo. The screen is shaky as hell, and the sound is pretty poo poo too. A step down from the DVD.

Braveheart
While the video is fantastically crisp, the audio can 'burst' at times and become static-y. This is only a problem in the battle scenes.

Full Metal Jacket
Probably the best conversion I've seen. It's incredible how well it looks and sounds after all these years. Visuals are clear and audio is great too.

Iron Man
Pretty self explanatory. Very good.

See above.

Reservoir Dogs
See Pulp Fiction. Waste of money.

Star Trek and Avatar
Buy these to show off your HD TV.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SwissDonkey posted:

Pulp Fiction
Utter poo poo. The screen is shaky as hell, and the sound is pretty poo poo too. A step down from the DVD.

What the gently caress? The dutch import I seen was actually a big step up from the DVD and the screen wasn't shaky as hell. Where did you import it from?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 8, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the aftermath posted:

Anyone heard anything about a possible release of The Wire on blu-ray?

It hasn't been ruled out, but I doubt it's on the docket either. The Wire was shot on 35mm so it's entirely doable, but it'd be a lot of work, and HBO's catalogue releases are sparse enough as it is (so far we've only gotten Rome, Band of Brothers, and The Sopranos season 1).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

It hasn't been ruled out, but I doubt it's on the docket either. The Wire was shot on 35mm so it's entirely doable, but it'd be a lot of work, and HBO's catalogue releases are sparse enough as it is (so far we've only gotten Rome, Band of Brothers, and The Sopranos season 1).
The prospect of Deadwood potentially coming keeps me from buying the DVDs.

Would be nice if the Wire came too.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Harlock posted:

The prospect of Deadwood potentially coming keeps me from buying the DVDs.

I dread that happening because it's going to be one expensive double-dip.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
How are the Rome discs? I'm kind of worried the high def jump will make all of the digital backdrops they used super obvious. The Egypt scene where Pompey dies was already kind of rough.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Is there any point in investing in a Blu-Ray player/PS3 if my tv is only 720p?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

spe posted:

For sure. 720p is still way better than 480, and the difference between 720p and 1080i/p is almost negligible on screens under 40" or so.

Honestly, I think the big hardware COs kinda hosed up by marketing 1080p specifically as hard as they did. I had to ask the same thing you did, myself.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

spe posted:

Yes. 720p is still much better than standard definition. And the PS3 upscales DVDs. I have a 720p set and a PS3 and am very happy.

As I understand it, the effective resolution of an hdtv is dependent on the size of screen and the viewing distance.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Sporadic posted:

What the gently caress? The dutch import I seen was actually a big step up from the DVD and the screen wasn't shaky as hell. Where did you import it from?

I have the Australian version.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

SwissDonkey posted:

I have the Australian version.

The Australian version is 1080i50, so I guess that would explain some of the jerkiness. Still, shouldn't be too much worse than the DVD (also 50 Hz if you have the Australian DVD).

The Dutch and Polish releases are true 1080p24, so no judder.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

smallmouth posted:

Yes. 720p is still much better than standard definition. And the PS3 upscales DVDs. I have a 720p set and a PS3 and am very happy.

The PS3 is just a kickass scaler in general, I guess it doesn't match the highest quality chipsets as found in Oppo's expensive players, but it passes most of the same really demanding tests, and subjectively it upscales really, really, really, really well, with video processing options to sweeten the deal if you regularly watch content that isn't ideal for HD (e.g. Playon Hulu at 480p on a 1080p set, probably going to benefit from its deblocking and frame noise reduction).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
More importantly, dude, PS3 games. :circlefap:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The next 2 Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are strongly rumored for release in November.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

The next 2 Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are strongly rumored for release in November.

Shouldnt we wait for the last two movies to come out first? :raise: Part 1 is in December and then Part 2 is about 6 months later. I'm just going to wait for the complete movie box set in fall 2011.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

A complete box set would most likely just consist of all 8 ultimate editions bundled together. I don't know why they'd wait fr the last two movies to come out - the first 2 ultimate editions have already been released, it makes sense to stagger them a couple at a time.

Most likely Azkaban/Goblet will come out in November to coincide with the theatrical release of Hallows pt. 1, Phoenix/HBP will come out in July 2011 to coincide with Hallows pt. 2, and then the Ultimate editions of Hallows 1/2 are anyone's guess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

A complete box set would most likely just consist of all 8 ultimate editions bundled together. I don't know why they'd wait fr the last two movies to come out - the first 2 ultimate editions have already been released, it makes sense to stagger them a couple at a time.

Most likely Azkaban/Goblet will come out in November to coincide with the theatrical release of Hallows pt. 1, Phoenix/HBP will come out in July 2011 to coincide with Hallows pt. 2, and then the Ultimate editions of Hallows 1/2 are anyone's guess.

I misunderstood you. When you said Ultimate Edition, my mind was thinking box set and I was really confused.

I'm just waiting for the complete theatrical boxset of all of the movies myself. I've seen all of the films up to this point anywho, and cant wait for the next one. I've never even read the books, but the movies have been pretty good.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 9, 2010

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Guess what is featured in Beaver's comparison of Carlito's Way?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like The Magnificent Seven is a winner, too. No boobs, but it seems like MGM did a clean scan without pumping in the DVNR. The softness can be attributed to the fact it's a 1960 color film, which means the negative was probably faded and MGM had to resort to color separations.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

A review of the Japanese film Departures.

The transfer does not look like it will win any awards. However, it is a great film.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Bambi posted:

That matches up with the big LEGO Harry Potter blitz starting up in October.

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

spe posted:

As other said, it will still be an improvement but probably it's worth it just for the motivation to start picking up titles on Blu so you have fewer DVDs to shake your head at in disgust a couple years from now upon your next TV upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Death's Head posted:

A review of the Japanese film Departures.

The transfer does not look like it will win any awards. However, it is a great film.

Damnit. Region locked to boot.

• Locked thread