Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

K. Waste posted:

One of them has to be Night Train to Terror, 'cause it's one of the greatest films ever made.

That or Christmas Evil, which is also, coincidentally, one of the greatest films ever made.

The problem is I already have them :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Awesome, I love Vinegar Syndrome. Limited myself to just Night Train to Terror and Hobgoblins, but I was certainly tempted to get more.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Iron Crowned posted:

The problem is I already have them :negative:

God dammit, can we just pretend to be normal for a couple weeks just to get some new posters in here so I can tell some more people to get Night Train to Terror?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
And I'm too broke for this current sale. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

And I'm too broke for this current sale. :(

I just spent $40+ on Suspiria so yea I'm out of the game for a while too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Shout Factory is also doing a 50% off sale on their Roger Corman blu-rays.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh, hey, Vinegar Syndrome is having a spring sale

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/filter/spring-sale/

Wow, thanks!

Picked up Hobgoblins and Night Train To Terror

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CPL593H posted:

Hell yeah, went ahead and got Rock 'N' Roll High School and Death Race 2000

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seeds and The Telephone Book are your picks for legit good movies from the VS sale.

I might spring on the Murder Weapon/Deadly Embrace Linnea Quigley set for fun.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

They might be clearing old stock and re-releasing all those with that new deal they have with Corman. Good deal either way.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Darn. I am really tempted to grab Humanoids.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Kino Lorber is having a big sale. Lots of $7-10 blu-rays.

Picked up Adios, Sabata, Return of Sabata, Fistful of Dynamite, The Crooked Way, and House of the Long Shadows. I'd also recommend Trouble Man to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 24, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive is running a 4 for $44 sale:
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44-sale

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I know there was some Thing chat in the thread but I can't find it - was there any huge differences between the Shout Factory and Arrow editions? Thinking of upgrading my OG universal print edition.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

I know there was some Thing chat in the thread but I can't find it - was there any huge differences between the Shout Factory and Arrow editions? Thinking of upgrading my OG universal print edition.

Shout! used a new 2K transfer from the original interpositive, but Arrow did a new 4K from the camera negative.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Arrow one is also a bit warmer in colors compared to shout factory's.

I'd compare them on caps-a-holic dot com to see which you prefer. Or buy both haha.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Shout! Factory is releasing Gravity Falls on DVD and Blu-ray

As much as I love the show... I think $80 is way too steep for me to buy two seasons of a cartoon on bluray.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

GonSmithe posted:

As much as I love the show... I think $80 is way too steep for me to buy two seasons of a cartoon on bluray.

Luckily most Shout! stuff seems to eventually get somewhat discounted. Freaks and Geeks was expensive for years but is hovering around $40 on Amazon now. Still, even though Gravity Falls has a pretty rabid fanbase I could see this selling poorly and Disney going, "See we told you TV on DVD/Blu was a waste of time"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

GonSmithe posted:

Oh man, that's awesome. Day one buy, I love this show and want to support it and putting more cartoons on Blu.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Does Gravity Falls take a while to get interesting? I watched maybe the first 5 episodes, and it was alright but it didn't live up the hype some of my friends gave it. I like the concept enough to give it another shot though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
More importantly, does it end well, does it just kind of keep going until it stops, or does it go up its own rear end like most cartoons aimed at both kids and adults? I found myself getting annoyed at some of the serialized elements feeling like they were crowding individual episodes episodic goodness, then I fell off early in Season 2 when Disney hosed with the schedule in their insane way.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

gey muckle mowser posted:

Does Gravity Falls take a while to get interesting? I watched maybe the first 5 episodes, and it was alright but it didn't live up the hype some of my friends gave it. I like the concept enough to give it another shot though.

In my opinion it gets better as it goes. Some of the "monster of the week" episodes aren't great, but the show gets more and more surefooted as it goes. It also ended when it should have, which tons of shows don't have the decency to do.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Double post but I want a loving blu-ray of Over the Garden Wall.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

gey muckle mowser posted:

It does take awhile for the series to really connect since it an be a very Monster of the Week format, but goddamn, it's just a continuous escalation finishing with what's probably my favorite TV finale of all time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GonSmithe posted:

Gonna have to buy this sadly. Like Zim, there may not be another chance to own it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I bought this without hesitation. We've shown this show to so many friends (one on Sunday even), and have watched through it at least 3 times now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

RichterIX posted:

In my opinion it gets better as it goes. Some of the "monster of the week" episodes aren't great, but the show gets more and more surefooted as it goes. It also ended when it should have, which tons of shows don't have the decency to do.

caligulamprey posted:

It does take awhile for the series to really connect since it an be a very Monster of the Week format, but goddamn, it's just a continuous escalation finishing with what's probably my favorite TV finale of all time.

hmmm ok thanks guys, I will give it another go

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m assuming it will be release in stores right? I’ll wait for that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

feedmyleg posted:

More importantly, does it end well, does it just kind of keep going until it stops, or does it go up its own rear end like most cartoons aimed at both kids and adults? I found myself getting annoyed at some of the serialized elements feeling like they were crowding individual episodes episodic goodness, then I fell off early in Season 2 when Disney hosed with the schedule in their insane way.

It gets better. It stops being Monster of the Week and becomes more of an overarching story. Don’t get me wrong, there’s some weird choices in the story later on but it becomes very “holy poo poo how is this a kid’s show, this is great” as it goes.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

The best Shout! television collection was the complete Mary Hartman but that definitely wasn’t going to get released on blu ray.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

GonSmithe posted:

it becomes very “holy poo poo how is this a kid’s show, this is great” as it goes.
There's so much stuff they do in the show that if you think of it outside the context of a goofy Disney cartoon it becomes genuinely horrifying (the one dude that gets his face is re-arranged and the only thing that comes out of him is a muffled scream because he can no longer breathe is a good one) .

curlys gold posted:

The best Shout! television collection was the complete Mary Hartman but that definitely wasn’t going to get released on blu ray.
That's a weird way of spelling COP ROCK.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

There's so much stuff they do in the show that if you think of it outside the context of a goofy Disney cartoon it becomes genuinely horrifying (the one dude that gets his face is re-arranged and the only thing that comes out of him is a muffled scream because he can no longer breathe is a good one) .

Or this nightmare:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...=20140815103917
"Heheh, good luck getting sleep tonight".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve ordered from them once but I don’t remember, but Shout doesn’t charge you right away when you order this right? It’s a stupid question I know, but I’d rather ask a stupid question then lose 80 bucks I don’t have right now.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve ordered from them once but I don’t remember, but Shout doesn’t charge you right away when you order this right? It’s a stupid question I know, but I’d rather ask a stupid question then lose 80 bucks I don’t have right now.

Doesn’t look like it. I ordered a few things from the Corman sale they had and I’ve only been charged today....for one of the items. It looks like they charge when they ship.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
How often does Disney let its marvel movies go on sale? I assume the answer is “never,” but I’d like to start buying them up and I’m fine with waiting until Black Friday/cyber Monday if it means I’ll be able to catch a deal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How often does Disney let its marvel movies go on sale? I assume the answer is “never,” but I’d like to start buying them up and I’m fine with waiting until Black Friday/cyber Monday if it means I’ll be able to catch a deal.

I'm pretty sure there are price drops but they take a while.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

You can probably find everything from before, like, 2013 or 2014 for five or six bucks a pop at a Half-Price Books.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Vinegar Syndrome is releasing a new 4K scan of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song during their Memorial Day sale, gently caress yeah.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I think they re-released them in a unified style sometime late last year, and I haven’t really seen any drops. I think it might happen in the week or two leading up to IW, but until then Disney will get ever cent they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I, Butthole posted:

Vinegar Syndrome is releasing a new 4K scan of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song during their Memorial Day sale, gently caress yeah.

Wow. I don’t know the movie at all but I love that 20 years on I’m still learning new references from the Simpsons. (The episode where Skinner gets fired is Seymour Skinner’s Baadasssss something)

EDIT: gently caress, didn’t mean to double post.

• Locked thread