Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
August 24

I love Blue Underground so much. They've got Django and Fulci's City of the Living Dead out in a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

smallmouth posted:

Yes. 720p is still much better than standard definition. And the PS3 upscales DVDs. I have a 720p set and a PS3 and am very happy.

As I understand it, the effective resolution of an hdtv is dependent on the size of screen and the viewing distance.

That viewing distance measurement is highly subjective. My couch is pretty far from my 40 inch Samsung (about 12-14 feet), and the difference between a 480p signal and a HD signal is extremely noticeable. Especially since I accidentally got the 4th season of Lost on DVD instead of blu-ray, compared to my 3rd and 5th season blu-rays it looks completely different.

Of course, even the resolution is besides the point because the colors on DVD will always look like poo poo compared to the much better gamut on blu-rays. Reds and greens never look correct on a dvd, nor do extremely bright/dark scenes (ie. Sunshine, Pitch Black)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thirst has a new release date from CJ Entertainment: June 18
Psycho is set for October 19

quote:

* Feature-length audio commentary with Stephen Rebello (Author of Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho)
* The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Hitchcock's most shocking film
* In the Master's Shadow – Hitchcock's Legacy: Some of Hollywood's top filmmakers discuss Hitchcock's influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.
* Hitchcock/Truffaut Interviews: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.
* Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.
* The Shower Scene: A look at the impact of music on the infamous "shower scene."
* The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard design.
* Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.
* The Psycho Archives: See the gallery of on-set photo stills from the film's production.
* Posters and Psycho Ads: See a gallery of original posters and ads from the theatrical campaign.
* Lobby Cards: View a gallery of promotional lobby cards from the film's theatrical campaign.
* Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos showing the cast and crew at work.
* Psycho Sound: A never-before-seen piece that looks at the re-mastering process required to create a 5.1 mix from the original mono elements using Audionamix technology.
* Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film's theatrical campaign.
* Re-Release Trailers: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Goreld posted:

Of course, even the resolution is besides the point because the colors on DVD will always look like poo poo compared to the much better gamut on blu-rays. Reds and greens never look correct on a dvd, nor do extremely bright/dark scenes (ie. Sunshine, Pitch Black)

I'm noticing the same thing. I thought my relatively cheap projector just didn't have very good black levels, but after watching LA Confidential on Bluray I'm fairly sure that the DVDs and downloads I have just aren't good enough. It looked great.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Woodtopian posted:

How are the Rome discs? I'm kind of worried the high def jump will make all of the digital backdrops they used super obvious. The Egypt scene where Pompey dies was already kind of rough.
I've only re-watched a handful of episodes on Blu-ray, but everything I've seen is gorgeous. I haven't noticed any special effects flaws.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Coming September 7th

Forbidden Planet
Lost in Space (1998)
Mars Attacks!
THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut

WB is also giving The Matrix Reloaded a separate release and re-releasing A Scanner Darkly for some reason.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

The Lucas posted:

Coming September 7th

Forbidden Planet
Lost in Space (1998)
Mars Attacks!
THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut

WB is also giving The Matrix Reloaded a separate release and re-releasing A Scanner Darkly for some reason.

edit: nevermind. answered my own question with a little digging around.
I will be out bright and early on September 7th for Mars Attacks!

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Damnit. Region locked to boot.

Where have you seen that information? I've looked around and can't find any confirmation on lock status of the disc.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I've seen some talk here about how the old (fat) PS3 models don't do bitstreaming, meaning that it doesn't do true HD audio? And the new model slims do? And the PS3 would do the decoding and send it to the receiver? Is this why audio on most of my BDs seems to have no balance, such as the voices being low and explosions and stuff being way too loving loud. Because I have a fat PS3, and I need another BD player for the bedroom anyway. Is it worth it for true HD audio to buy a new slim? So if I do, the fat PS3 can go to the bedroom and the slim in the living room with the entertainment center.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm sure this got asked several times in the old thread, but any word yet on Lawrence of Arabia?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Liberty Valance posted:

I'm sure this got asked several times in the old thread, but any word yet on Lawrence of Arabia?

word
Lawrence Of Arabia

There, that's the best you're going to get for a while.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

bradzilla posted:

I've seen some talk here about how the old (fat) PS3 models don't do bitstreaming, meaning that it doesn't do true HD audio? And the new model slims do? And the PS3 would do the decoding and send it to the receiver? Is this why audio on most of my BDs seems to have no balance, such as the voices being low and explosions and stuff being way too loving loud. Because I have a fat PS3, and I need another BD player for the bedroom anyway. Is it worth it for true HD audio to buy a new slim? So if I do, the fat PS3 can go to the bedroom and the slim in the living room with the entertainment center.

Bitstreaming just means that your player is sending the audio to the receiver, and allowing the receiver to decode it. However, the PS3 itself is capable of decoding lossless audio (such as TrueHD), so the lack of bitstreaming technically doesn't make any noticeable difference in your audio quality. Some audiophiles just piss and moan about wanting to be able to do everything via their receivers.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Death's Head posted:

Where have you seen that information? I've looked around and can't find any confirmation on lock status of the disc.

Says so at the top of the review you linked.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Bambi posted:

Some audiophiles just piss and moan about wanting to be able to do everything via their receivers.

I've heard some fat PS3 owners complain a whole lot about the fact that their PS3 doesn't light up the DTS-HD or Dolby HD lights on their receiver, even though it has no effect on the sound at all.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

RichterIX posted:

I've heard some fat PS3 owners complain a whole lot about the fact that their PS3 doesn't light up the DTS-HD or Dolby HD lights on their receiver, even though it has no effect on the sound at all.
Being relatively poor, I opted for a budget sound system (it was all I could afford since I only sold $1,200 in food stamps and the first $900 went to PS3+TV). It's really irritating that each time I turn it on and off, I have to hit SOUND until it goes into surround mode. I really don't understand why these people are bitching.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition June 29th
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003L16FAE/ref=nosim/panandscathed-20

So glad I held off on buying the first disc. I knew there would be a double dip.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

Being relatively poor, I opted for a budget sound system (it was all I could afford since I only sold $1,200 in food stamps and the first $900 went to PS3+TV). It's really irritating that each time I turn it on and off, I have to hit SOUND until it goes into surround mode. I really don't understand why these people are bitching.
Not to derail, but I can never tell if you're joking when you say you sell food stamps. I don't take any offense to it, just wondering if some joke is going over my head.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Not to derail, but I can never tell if you're joking when you say you sell food stamps. I don't take any offense to it, just wondering if some joke is going over my head.
Why, you wanna buy some?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spartacus reviewed
City of the Living Dead (UK) reviewed

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 11, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

doctor thodt posted:

Spartacus reviewed

It's a good thing I don't like this movie, because this is awful.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
So I'm borrowing the LotR trilogy from a friend, and I can honestly say I don't quite see where the hate on Fellowship is coming from. I think it looks great, or at the very least, looks amazing compared to the DVD, which is what these Blu-Rays are all about, right?

One thing I will say is that having not seen the theatrical cut of Fellowship since it first came out in theatres nine years ago (god has it been that long :psyduck:) is that I am way too used to the Extended cut. It's rather jarring.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The arguments against the LOTR blu-rays were that they don't look as good as they should. More effort could have been put into them. Although they are still impressive, but the asking price for the box set is a bit much. Best Buy is selling it for around $85.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Well, I guess I'm going to cancel Spartacus until it goes to to under $10. It looks exactly like the HD-DVD captures.

What the hell is going on at Universal?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
how are Warner Bros. Blurays usually like? I'm thinking of getting Exorcist which comes out September according to play.com

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Honest Thief posted:

how are Warner Bros. Blurays usually like? I'm thinking of getting Exorcist which comes out September according to play.com

You might want to wait and see if William Friedkin does anything crazy to it before you buy it. He completely changed the colors in The French Connection. It looks cool, but I'd like to have the original version too :(

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honest Thief posted:

All of their classics are tremendously good, their new releases are satisfactory, and all of the catalogue titles in between range from piss-poor to pretty good.

On the whole, I'd say they're probably my favorite major studio aside from Sony, just because nobody else comes close to the money, time, and effort they put into restoring their classic titles. I have little doubt that The Exorcist will be well worth your money, assuming Friedkin hasn't had too large a hand in the restoration.

City of the Living Dead (US) reviewed
Django reviewed

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Well, I guess I'm going to cancel Spartacus until it goes to to under $10. It looks exactly like the HD-DVD captures.

What the hell is going on at Universal?

They are doing the same thing they were doing during HD-DVD, releasing whatever transfer they have on hand regardless of how it looks. Only they aren't getting any leeway now since they aren't releasing 5+ titles a month to singlehandedly keeping a format alive and the standards people expect out of a catalog release have gone up since 2 years ago.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
Has there been any word on a Saving Private Ryan recall? I seem to recall reading about an audio sync issue and it's just been moved out of my Amazon cart to my saved items list with a note to say it's no longer available from the seller.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

I said come in! posted:

The arguments against the LOTR blu-rays were that they don't look as good as they should. More effort could have been put into them. Although they are still impressive, but the asking price for the box set is a bit much. Best Buy is selling it for around $85.

Trying to double dip on that one again is a bit of a dick move.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Anyone know if the Dollars trilogy set's The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly coming out on 6/1 is a different transfer, or the same disc that's been out for a while?

mikul posted:

Has there been any word on a Saving Private Ryan recall? I seem to recall reading about an audio sync issue and it's just been moved out of my Amazon cart to my saved items list with a note to say it's no longer available from the seller.

I know Amazon CS told me they were going to email me when Paramount had a plan to get folks new discs.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 11, 2010

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

I said come in! posted:

Ok, yeah, I can see that. The double dip is also a dick move.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mikul posted:

The Digital Bits posted:

Meanwhile, we also have an update today on Paramount and DreamWorks' Saving Private Ryan Blu-ray Disc. The studio has unofficially confirmed that there IS a sound sync issue on current copies, and Amazon has just temporarily pulled the disc from sale. We're told that the studio IS working on fixed discs for retail, and they're expected to soon announce a replacement plan for those who already have the bad copies. For those who may not be aware, audio sync issues appear to start around Chapter 15 - certain lines of dialogue appear out of lip-sync with the film. Again, we'll post more on this as it comes in.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I said come in! posted:

Seriously? Here in Canada it was selling for $60 sale price when it came out and a quick check on their site shows a $70 usual price.

I know they are going to double dip this one when the Extended Editions come out next year. But, drat it, I have nostalgia for the theatrical versions I saw in theatres and am not THAT concerned about resolution or whatever. Not going to get the EE editions when they come out. I know I am in the minority around here.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Says so at the top of the review you linked.

I had thought that it said Region B just as a reference to it being a region B disc, since its UK. Looking at the other reviews on the site suggests that is not the case :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner can appear to be slightly variable because they have the widest range of eras next to Criterion, but I have yet to see a disc from them with major problems besides the :effort: 192kbs Dolby Digital tracks on monaural audio. They seemed to have switched to at least TrueHD in recent months.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They still totally pussy out on TV releases though

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

Death's Head posted:

I had thought that it said Region B just as a reference to it being a region B disc, since its UK. Looking at the other reviews on the site suggests that is not the case :(
Yeah, but I'm not sure if that means much. For example, their review of the new The Prisoner (2009) miniseries Blu-ray release says Region A at the top, even though they are clearly talking about the ITV UK disc since there is no Region A BD release of this AFAIK.

However, I have to say that the The Digital Fix (née DVD Times) is still one of the better UK news/review sites that actually reviews UK Blu-rays even though their review output is pathetically sporadic and small. It's sort of shocking how little dedicated coverage there is of UK Blu-ray releases.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I'll be able to test when I get my disc because I have one of those Momitsu knock-off players that HMV were selling for £50 back in January.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Altman's The Player is coming September 7th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Lucas posted:

Altman's The Player is coming September 7th

:toot:

• Locked thread