Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is anybody interested in setting up some kind of Blu-Ray/DVD exchange? I have so many goddamn discs that I have absolutely no use for, and rather than going through the hassle of trying to sell them I figure I could just trade them for stuff I want instead. Is this kind of thing permissible in SA-Mart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Is anybody interested in setting up some kind of Blu-Ray/DVD exchange? I have so many goddamn discs that I have absolutely no use for, and rather than going through the hassle of trying to sell them I figure I could just trade them for stuff I want instead. Is this kind of thing permissible in SA-Mart?

We have it for Xbox 360 and PS3 games, so I don't see why not. :)

I would love to get in on this, I don't have enough blu-rays though. :smith:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright well I set it up if anyone's interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304220

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Alright well I set it up if anyone's interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304220
don't expect too much. this one never got off the ground -> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3287444

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Damnit :(

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

This is why you don't get a VAIO. I'm sorry, but I repair computers, and VAIO could be defined as, "Same lovely components as a Dell, with an inflated price and even less driver support."

Not trying to induce buyer's remorse, and your VAIO may work great, but in my experience, they break just as quickly and have the most oddball random hardware without drivers on their web site (S3 button on a laptop, for instance).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

They really need to remaster Rushmore for bd release. The version I have is non-anamorphic. :(

edit for technicality

fenix down fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 14, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Criterion DVD is anamorphic, if you're itching to watch it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I gave up hope of Apocalypse Now at 2.35:1 on home video a while ago, I'm just happy that the blu-ray may be around the corner. :allears:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From https://www.in70mm.com
""Lawrence of Arabia" is being scanned at 8k toward the creation of a new preservation negative."

:neckbeard:

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Not sure where else to ask this question... I bought Edge of Darkness, put it in my dinosaur Sony BDP-S300 player and it wouldn't load the movie. Not a big deal, I have a PS3 Slim as well, and it instantly loaded on that console. However, the movie, and pretty much any Blu-ray I've watched using the PS3 is impossibly bright and artificial looking vs. my regular Blu-ray player. Are there any changes I should make to my console so that Bu-rays will look natural and film-like like it does on the standalone player? Both the standalone player and the PS3 are connected using HDMI. Any help would be appreciated.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ultraviolence123 posted:

Not sure where else to ask this question... I bought Edge of Darkness, put it in my dinosaur Sony BDP-S300 player and it wouldn't load the movie. Not a big deal, I have a PS3 Slim as well, and it instantly loaded on that console. However, the movie, and pretty much any Blu-ray I've watched using the PS3 is impossibly bright and artificial looking vs. my regular Blu-ray player. Are there any changes I should make to my console so that Bu-rays will look natural and film-like like it does on the standalone player? Both the standalone player and the PS3 are connected using HDMI. Any help would be appreciated.
Under video settings, most of the defaults should be fine on auto. I have 1080/24 set to on instead of auto. As far as display settings, from what I've read, the optimal is RGB - limited, and super white - on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a .mkv of Saving Priate Ryan floating around with the grain completely removed (this is fan made its files, you wouldnt want to go looking for it anyways and im gonna explain why) from the movie. Holy hell it looks terrible, but people actually like it a lot. I don't understand how anyone could think it looks better then the original blu-ray, but these opinions are why we have so many bad blu-ray transfers. :smithfrog:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

qbert posted:

Wow, that's incredibly bizarre. Is there even anything else out there, dvd, blu-ray, whatever, that has an aspect ratio of 2:1?

That seems so random.

There are a few others out there. It's not as random and weird as you think.

For instance, I know Austin Powers and Star Trek VI (before the last issue) were shown in 2:1. In both cases, those films were shot on Super 35.

Honestly, this and the French Connection remaster are reasons why content creators aren't king and shouldn't always be listened to. They are just as capable as the rest of us of having utterly stupid ideas, and just because they created the work 30 years ago doesn't give them the right to do as they please with it. Once you release a work, I believe you've given up creative control of it because it now belongs to a populous.

Anyway, what would be so hard about providing both versions? I'm sure someone could create a bit of software that could crop the movie to a 2:1 version or display it in it's full ratio?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I said come in! posted:

There is a .mkv of Saving Priate Ryan floating around with the grain completely removed (this is fan made its files, you wouldnt want to go looking for it anyways and im gonna explain why) from the movie. Holy hell it looks terrible, but people actually like it a lot. I don't understand how anyone could think it looks better then the original blu-ray, but these opinions are why we have so many bad blu-ray transfers. :smithfrog:
This is hilarious, any screencaps?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Max22 posted:

This is hilarious, any screencaps?

Yes, there were some screencaps posted on a private forum that I visit.

Can I post these? Don't wanna get in trouble. :O I haven't watched it like this, no intention too, but the screencaps make the movie look really clean. Think the Patton blu-ray basically. It's really obvious in a cap of all of the bodies on the beach after the d-day invasion battle ends. The lack of grain really ruins the scene in my opinion.

Normally I wouldnt bother to mention something like this, but it goes back to the discussions we've had about why studio's are doing bad blu-ray transfers and some of the reasons why classic movies end up looking so horrible and changed from how the director originally wanted the movie to look. They just want to appeal to a wider audience which tends to be very misinformed and have a lack of appreciation for film.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 15, 2010

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

If posting screencaps of a movie is against the forum rules, that "guess the film" thread is in deep trouble.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Max22 posted:

If posting screencaps of a movie is against the forum rules, that "guess the film" thread is in deep trouble.

Thats true and this is only for discussion purposes, i'm not linking anything else but screen caps I already found.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/cd/cd27e5cc04920d703645f2bee3a4b938ba4da7ed.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/1b/1b418a70ac614610f2b3ea86fd49cf7d1eb6732c.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/96/9623a69d4093d64ed854c41eb38e05d7b319be2b.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/a7/a7545e1945e831354f7297fa2c03ae43def7ea85.jpg

For comparison, the untouched blu-ray screen caps from DVDBeaver.com;

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/saving_private_ryan_blu-ray/large/large_saving_private_ryan_blu-ray1.jpg
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/saving_private_ryan_blu-ray/large/large_saving_private_ryan_blu-ray2x.jpg
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/saving_private_ryan_blu-ray/large/large_saving_private_ryan_blu-ray3x.jpg
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/saving_private_ryan_blu-ray/large/large_saving_private_ryan_blu-ray8x.jpg

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 15, 2010

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
it looks like Call of Duty; and the blood on this screencap https://wi.somethingawful.com/96/9623a69d4093d64ed854c41eb38e05d7b319be2b.jpg looks almost like a cloth, like it had texture
I'm almost curious enough to see all of it

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Saving Private Ryan's transfer is fantastic, and I don't know why the hell people want to see it "Pattonized". It's supposed to look a little grainy, dammit, and it's just enough to make the movie look filmlike - it doesn't look like Public Enemies or something. The only thing I don't like is that all that detail makes it really obvious there was a dummy involved in that scene with the 40mm cannon shooting guys off that Tiger, ha ha.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 15, 2010

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

The second link looks like the actors were shot against a green screen, Jesus.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Darth Dukakis posted:

The second link looks like the actors were shot against a green screen, Jesus.

I know right? I try to point this out on this private forum where people are defending the release and I get comments like this back;

quote:

personally i prefer without the grain for me the grain ruins bluray releases wish all wouldnt have it

:smithfrog:

:suicide:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's ok, we can all take solace in the fact that Paramount doesn't give a poo poo what any of these idiots think and will continue to release grainy-as-hell Spielberg BD's. Looking forward to War of the Worlds next month, probably as much so for the lossless audio track as for the video transfer. That tripod horn is going to level my house.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

That tripod horn is going to level my house.

The first time you hear that horn is seriously my favorite part of the movie.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I thought I was the only one who didn't hate that movie, Speilbergy ending aside. More Tom Cruise backlash?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Actually overall I really didn't like the movie, but there are a few scenes here and there that are absolutely brilliant.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Humanoids from the Deep 8/3
Evil Dead 8/31

Bambi fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 15, 2010

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

uncle jimbo posted:

I thought I was the only one who didn't hate that movie, Speilbergy ending aside. More Tom Cruise backlash?

The Tom Cruise backlash is stupid as gently caress. War of the Worlds owns, Minority Report owns.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hated WotW because it was boring and the ending was retarded.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Everyone just hates Tom Cruises personal life. It is insane and he is a scientologist. His acting career though is great.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

I hated WotW because it was boring and the ending was retarded.

Nothin wrong with that. But not liking a movie just because one of the actors is insane is stupid.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
The only thing I didn't like about WotW was his whiny children.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tom Gun will always be his best movie.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
War of the Worlds was exciting. The less-than-great ending wasn't enough to defile the rest of a fun movie there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't think Cruise is a particularly great actor, but he's really not that bad. It's just that he's Tom Cruise, and any character he plays will inevitably be Tom Cruise in different clothes. Even in Eyes Wide Shut he was just Dr. Cruise (not to mention he spends almost the entire film looking either suspicious, confused, or horny).

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't think Cruise is a particularly great actor, but he's really not that bad. It's just that he's Tom Cruise, and any character he plays will inevitably be Tom Cruise in different clothes. Even in Eyes Wide Shut he was just Dr. Cruise (not to mention he spends almost the entire film looking either suspicious, confused, or horny).

I agree, for the most part. However I think his role in Collateral was very un-Tom and he was really, really good as Vincent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oooh you know what movie with him was awful? Valkyrie. But not because of Cruise, no one could save that movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What's wrong with Valkyrie? It's nothing special, but quite engaging for having such an obvious ending (Hitler isn't blown up :ssh:).

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Egbert Souse posted:

What's wrong with Valkyrie? It's nothing special, but quite engaging for having such an obvious ending (Hitler isn't blown up :ssh:).

Inglourious Basterds being released in the wake of Valkyrie was a huge kick in the pants to Bryan Singer, even though it was obviously unintentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
War of the Worlds is terrible. The story is terrible. The Spielberg Precocious Kid (tm) is terrible. The subplots are terrible. The ending is unbelievably, shockingly terrible.

But yeah, the tripod horn is like 800,000 kinds of awesome. There's like 3 minutes of that movie where it's the best movie ever (the cruise ship). Everything else is just so loving horrible.

• Locked thread