Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I need a Criterion version of Kindergarten Cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
5 disc special edition of End of Days.

I need to see every cliche ever in remastered HD.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tony Danza Claus posted:

5 disc special edition of End of Days.

I need to see every cliche ever in remastered HD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6826

West Side Story - Nov. 15

It's supposed to be a new restoration from 65mm with the original 6-track mix restored (as a 7.1 track). Best of all, there's not just a gift set release, but also a regular 2-disc digipak. Maybe Warner could take notes?

Also...

The Music Room looks incredible according to DVD Beaver

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 8, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Your links both go to West Side Story, here's the 'beev on Music Room (it does look incredible, particularly in comparison to the lovely DVD). Also, hell yeah West Side Story and gently caress YES:

Blu-Ray.com posted:

Song Specific Commentary by Lyricist Stephen Sondheim

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are blu-ray.com's reviews generally regarded as bullshit? I could have sworn that Patton was regarded as one of the waxiest DNR jobs ever but the blu-ray.com review gave the video 5/5.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Are blu-ray.com's reviews generally regarded as bullshit? I could have sworn that Patton was regarded as one of the waxiest DNR jobs ever but the blu-ray.com review gave the video 5/5.

In my experience they've been spot on, but that is somewhat suspicious.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Blu-ray.com reviews are usually terrible. I think Blu-Beaver is the best to use.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

hitze posted:

Blu-ray.com reviews are usually terrible. I think Blu-Beaver is the best to use.

They're really not, at all. If there is every anything odd with a transfer, say DNR, the reviewer will go into length about it, and how it is affecting his grade of the picture quality.

Check out the LOTR:EE reviews to see a long, well thought-out review on the PQ.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yeah. Compare Blu-Ray's review of the lovely release of Gladiator to DVDBeaver's. They're usually a lot more thorough.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I worded my post poorly. What I really meant was they skew the video score a lot. Patton, that movie posted a couple posts back, BTTF...those are not good looking Blu-rays. The actual text of the reviews are fine.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVD Beaver is reliable, even if Gary Tooze spergs about 1.85:1 movies being "cropped" to 1.78:1 (they're opened up).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

hitze posted:

I worded my post poorly. What I really meant was they skew the video score a lot. Patton, that movie posted a couple posts back, BTTF...those are not good looking Blu-rays. The actual text of the reviews are fine.

Ah, yeah. This is very true. They will go on about how something has issues... but then still give it a good score. Like you mentioned, the BTTF review went into detail about how the video looks odd and whatnot, but still gave it a very high score. When it's something like that, it usually comes down to either the user's preference, or "this is the best it will probably ever look."

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
So Universal is releasing Brazil on Blu-ray in the US on Tuesday, and I love this movie, but I'm miffed that there are absolutely NO extras on the disc. Is there any reason to believe Criterion may re-release this on Blu-ray in the near future, or are we just stuck with this for now?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Colonel Whitey posted:

So Universal is releasing Brazil on Blu-ray in the US on Tuesday, and I love this movie, but I'm miffed that there are absolutely NO extras on the disc. Is there any reason to believe Criterion may re-release this on Blu-ray in the near future, or are we just stuck with this for now?

Criterion has said they are working on a Brazil BD, so it is most likely the same situation as Fear and Loathing - Universal releases their BD without any of the Criterion-created supplements, and a year later or so Criterion gets to put out their version.

Of note however, the Universal BD of Brazil is the theatrical version - something that has never been released on disc in the US (the Universal DVD lists the runtime of the theatrical version erroneously, as the disc actually contains the director's cut). So if you're a big Brazil fan, it might be worth getting the Universal BD for the theatrical version, and later the Criterion version for the director's cut and the hilarious 'Love Conquers All' version.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Criterion has said they are working on a Brazil BD, so it is most likely the same situation as Fear and Loathing - Universal releases their BD without any of the Criterion-created supplements, and a year later or so Criterion gets to put out their version.

Of note however, the Universal BD of Brazil is the theatrical version - something that has never been released on disc in the US (the Universal DVD lists the runtime of the theatrical version erroneously, as the disc actually contains the director's cut). So if you're a big Brazil fan, it might be worth getting the Universal BD for the theatrical version, and later the Criterion version for the director's cut and the hilarious 'Love Conquers All' version.

Ah, thanks. I guess that's good news and bad news, as I've been waiting for a Blu-ray of this since I saw it at the Castro theater a year or so ago. I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy it now, just to sate my desire to see it again.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

here's the 'beev on Music Room (it does look incredible, particularly in comparison to the lovely DVD)

HOLY poo poo. :stare:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Looks like we're getting Looney Toons on blu-ray, at last. A poster on blu-ray.com noticed this in the panel schedule for the upcoming San Diego Comic Con:

quote:

3:00-4:00 Classic Warner Bros./Hanna-Barbera Cartoons Going Blu-ray— Animation historian Jerry Beck and Warner Archives' George Feltenstein lead a panel of renowned animation and restoration experts, including Spike Brandt (The Looney Tunes Show), Tony Cervone (The Looney Tunes Show), and Paul Dini (Lost, Tower Prep), in presenting and discussing selected vintage cartoons from Warner Home Video's fall 2011 Blu-ray release of the newly remastered Tom and Jerry Golden Collection and Looney Tunes Platinum Collections.

Funkyboss
Feb 24, 2002
Just pre-ordered Jarmusch's "Dead Man" at bestbuy.com for $7.99 - looks like it's $19.99 at Amazon. Seems like a pretty good deal.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I recently bought Taxi Driver and it's a lovely transfer for a great movie. I'm slightly annoyed about the large Sony advertising in the menus though. It's a slight blemish on this otherwise great release, but luckily the useless BD-Live stuff can be turned off (on the PS3 at least).

I haven't seen this on other discs before. Is this a recent trend?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The original King Kong dropped $8 to $18.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001KVZ6LQ

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Rango is down to $14.99 with code RANGO5GO. Buy it.
http://www.amazon.com/Rango-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo-Digital/dp/B003Y5H542

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 11, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

frumpsnake posted:

Thank you for this, came out to $22.97 US and with the way the Canadian dollar is, I am paying so much less. It's $34.99 at the FutureShop.ca website. :D

And no French bullshit on my copy now!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

frumpsnake posted:

It's a great movie that echos its love for Westerns, and it also looked gorgeous in theaters, so this will be a nice movie to have on blu-ray for the graphical prowess it has.

That is, I preordered the hell out of my copy.

Why is it coming out on Friday? Isn't the norm Tuesday for entertainment releases?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Ineffiable posted:

Why is it coming out on Friday? Isn't the norm Tuesday for entertainment releases?

For whatever reason, family films tend to skew towards Friday releases, I've never known why (HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON was a Friday release, for example).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I think maybe they're trying to compete with films getting theatrical releases that day? That doesn't totally make sense, but it just happens to be the same day that the new Harry Potter film premieres, and maybe Paramount is trying to take some business away from that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Buster Keaton's Short Films Collection: 1920-1923 dropped to $28.99 on Amazon. It was $36.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004XEEMAI

Already dead. Sorry.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2011

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's back up to 36.99 now. drat.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

And no French bullshit on my copy now!

:argh:MONTREAL!:argh:

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Ineffiable posted:

Yes, Tuesday is the norm. Dreamworks Animation, however, seems to love Friday - they think it gives them some kind of competitive edge (leading into the weekend when kids are out of school, separate from other releases, etc.). And Rango is Paramount's first animation release that isn't a partnership with Dreamworks Animation, so they must just be following their lead.

Disney releases and the vast vast majority of other family/kids releases come out on Tuesday like normal.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Can anyone tell me what's missing from the new Brazil Blu-Ray compared to the director's cut mentioned up-thread?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Lord Krangdar posted:

Can anyone tell me what's missing from the new Brazil Blu-Ray compared to the director's cut mentioned up-thread?

10 minutes.

- edit Nevermind, turns out the director's cut he put together is different than the original 142 minute European cut.

quote:

Gathering footage from both the European and American versions of this masterpiece, Gilliam has assembled the ultimate, 142-minute director’s cut of his most celebrated film.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 13, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gilliam said he hates director's cuts :confused:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
But I expect he loves any excuse to release that movie

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I guess Walmart is trying to warp time/space in regards to Rango. IT'S JUST THAT GOOD

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Notice there's no year on that, it's actually coming out Tuesday, July 15, 2014.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They're amping up for their super-exclusive mega-collector's-set.

edit: Beaver on High And Low, which looks pretty good. I just saw this last night and it's pretty much a day-one buy for me.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 13, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I spent about an hour with the Buster Keaton Shorts set. Most of the shorts look great in terms of photographic quality. Some shorts have heavy scratching at times.

Here's a low-res iPhone snap I took off my screen:

(the blown out contrast is from my shot)

I haven't checked all the shorts all the way through, but it seems most have scores by Ben Model. The one for Cops is terrific - I was surprised to find it was recorded using a Miditzer organ simulator. Also worth noting is that this is made up of three thinpak blu-ray cases in a slipcase.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 16, 2011

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
the hell is Christopher Walken doing in a Keaton short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It was a walk-on.

• Locked thread