Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

RussianGuyovich posted:

Inglourious Basterds being released in the wake of Valkyrie was a huge kick in the pants to Bryan Singer, even though it was obviously unintentional.

An eight month difference in release dates is "in the wake of" another movie now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

:siren: tom cruise derail in the blu ray thread! :siren:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Welcome to Cinema On-Topic-O!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Add me to the list of people who really likes War of the Worlds.

And Top Gun Tom Cruise's best movie? :geno:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Cameo posted:

An eight month difference in release dates is "in the wake of" another movie now?

Yeah, I suppose not. For some reason I was thinking Valkyrie came out way later than it did.

I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet as a college student whose library carries DVDs, so:

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 16, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

RussianGuyovich posted:

Yeah, I suppose not. For some reason I was thinking Valkyrie came out way later than it did.

I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet as a college student whose library carries DVDs, so:

[lovely Photobucket link]

use Waffleimages

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Yes sir.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Darth Dukakis posted:

The second link looks like the actors were shot against a green screen, Jesus.

It's true, and reminds me of a lot of the shots I hate in the new Indiana Jones movie. Maybe a layer of grain would make that movie look a lot better?

Well, that and a new script.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Crystal Skull wasn't as bad as most of the internet would claim and I'm convinced that a majority of the hate is the internet echo chamber that piles on anything that isn't exactly as some want it. It had problems, mostly because the script was touched by too many people, but it was fun and I hope they make another one.

Also Indiana Jones on blu ray this year pleaseeeeeeeee.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Add me to the list of people who really likes War of the Worlds.

Ummmmm the volley ball scene anyone? :gay:

That and its about planes and poo poo. It owns, okay, so there.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

FitFortDanga posted:

use Waffleimages

Waffleimages isn't altogether reliable, I've had better luck with tinypic.com personally.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Criminal Minded posted:

Top Gun owns.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, however, does not own. I kinda liked it a little bit when I first saw it, but after repeat viewings it's just terrible. Every gigantic flaw with it becomes more and more obvious every time I see it.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Apologies if this has come up before, but what's a good website I can use to catalogue all my my Blu-Rays (that also has info for import titles and exclusive releases and such)?

Other than Blu-Ray.com, which just sucks all around.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bambi posted:

Apologies if this has come up before, but what's a good website I can use to catalogue all my my Blu-Rays (that also has info for import titles and exclusive releases and such)?

http://www.dvdaf.com/

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Django reviewed. drat, Blue Underground is killin' it.

Meanwhile, another reviewer from the same website gave Spartacus 4 stars for PQ but doesn't even know what kind of TV he's watching it on.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Meanwhile, another reviewer from the same website gave Spartacus 4 stars for PQ but doesn't even know what kind of TV he's watching it on.

Glenn Erickson is a really knowledgeable dude. He's done commentaries on Night and the City, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, On Dangerous Ground, Gun Crazy, Decoy and probably others I'm forgetting.

Of course, that doesn't mean he knows poo poo about televisions, but he might just be talking tongue-in-cheek.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blu-Ray.com posted:

Warner Home Video has announced the Blu-ray release of the New Line title Se7en (also known as Seven) for September 14. This Blu-ray edition, supervised by director David Fincher, will come in DigiBook form, with a 32-page booklet containing information and photos on the making of the movie, and a special look at its alternate endings.

Special features include:
Four audio commentary tracks:
* Stars commentary, with director David Fincher and actors Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman
* Story commentary, with Fincher, author Richard Dyer, screenwriter Andrew Kevin Walker, editor Richard Francis-Bruce and New Line president of production Michael De Luca
* Picture commentary, with Fincher, director of photography Darius Khondji, production designer Arthur Max, editor Richard Francis-Bruce and author Richard Dyer
* Sound commentary, with Fincher, sound designer Ren Klyce, composer Howard Shore and author Richard Dyer
Additional/extended scenes
Alternate endings
Exploration of the opening title sequence from multiple video angles with various audio mixes and two commentary tracks
Production design and still photographs with commentaries
The Notebooks: Full motion video details "John Doe's" writings
Theatrical trailer

Looks like no new extras from the Platinum edition (unless you count the book) but that edition was pretty stacked already.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Digibook :allears:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
A New Line release :ohdear:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Digibook :allears:

More like

DIGIIIIIBOOOOOOK :argh:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Digibooks are terrific :colbert:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I used to like the digibooks, but now I think of them as a waste of space. They never have anything interesting in them. It's not like a Criterion booklet where you get a couple of scholarly essays. It's usually just a bunch of press kit crap and a few trivial factoids that are generally covered in the bonus features anyway.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Is Saving Private Ryan fixed yet?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

fenix down posted:

From what I understand the fixed copies come out tomorrow.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

fenix down posted:

Nope, it still sucks.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bad movie knight posted:

Nope, it still sucks.

:haw:

The fixed copies have a yellow upc, like so:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Ahaha why am I not surprised that you just happened to have one lying around.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most stores have them in now and will exchange your copy no questions asked.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

I used to like the digibooks, but now I think of them as a waste of space. They never have anything interesting in them. It's not like a Criterion booklet where you get a couple of scholarly essays. It's usually just a bunch of press kit crap and a few trivial factoids that are generally covered in the bonus features anyway.

That's what I said from the start :smug:

Most digibooks are being rereleased in real packaging anyway.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Number of digibooks: 25 (not including 4 announced)

Number of digibooks re-released in regular cases: 5 (including 1 announced)

Number of digibooks re-released in regular cases as a different version of the film: 1

Number of regular releases re-released as digibooks: 2

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Number of digibooks: 25 (not including 4 announced)

Number of digibooks re-released in regular cases: 5 (including 1 announced)

Number of digibooks re-released in regular cases as a different version of the film: 1

Number of regular releases re-released as digibooks: 2

Number of digibooks that contain anything of substance in the book section: 0

:smug:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bambi posted:

http://www.listal.com/

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sporadic posted:

Number of digibooks that contain anything of substance in the book section: 0

:smug:

Granted a lot of it's just fluffy bios and trivia, but some of them have some pretty neat little blurbs, and they all have fantastic art design. I just think it's a really cool and unique aesthetic for a film presentation. Yes, most of the written material is pointless, but it's still way nicer than a regular blue case, and there's obviously the potential to fill them with something more substantive if and when the studios choose to do so.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got my hands on the Brakhage set. Now if only I could find some mushrooms.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Pretty sure nobody at Oscilloscope has ever actually seen a Blu-Ray before. I mean really, is all of this necessary? A regular blue case will do just fine.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I got my new Battlestar Galactica packaging yesterday. If any of you guys are stuck with the old crappy limited edition boxes I strongly recommend sending in for the new stuff. It fits on the shelf a lot nicer now.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Slvbarek posted:

I got my new Battlestar Galactica packaging yesterday. If any of you guys are stuck with the old crappy limited edition boxes I strongly recommend sending in for the new stuff. It fits on the shelf a lot nicer now.

How do you go about this?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Bacon55555 posted:

Mail the discs to me. I'll put it in the new packaging and send it back. Scout's honor.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bambi posted:

Pretty sure nobody at Oscilloscope has ever actually seen a Blu-Ray before. I mean really, is all of this necessary? A regular blue case will do just fine.

:laugh:

It's like they decided "how much useless poo poo can we throw in while offering 0 protection for the discs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bacon55555 posted:

I sent Universal an inquiry about it, and they sent me an email. You print that out, write out some info on it, then send that with the top flap of the Season 1 blu-ray to some PO Box. I got mine about three weeks later.

I'm pretty sure this link is what I used to contact them.

• Locked thread