Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
So I'm borrowing the LotR trilogy from a friend, and I can honestly say I don't quite see where the hate on Fellowship is coming from. I think it looks great, or at the very least, looks amazing compared to the DVD, which is what these Blu-Rays are all about, right?

One thing I will say is that having not seen the theatrical cut of Fellowship since it first came out in theatres nine years ago (god has it been that long :psyduck:) is that I am way too used to the Extended cut. It's rather jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The arguments against the LOTR blu-rays were that they don't look as good as they should. More effort could have been put into them. Although they are still impressive, but the asking price for the box set is a bit much. Best Buy is selling it for around $85.

Ok, yeah, I can see that. The double dip is also a dick move.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Wow, my new Vaio displays BluRay beautifully. It's almost too bright... probably need to mess with the settings. It was delivered to my office (UPS usually doesn't come near my place regularly) and my coworkers were impressed with how nice The General looked. And it's only a 1600x900 res screen.

But it's preinstalled with WinDVD, which happens to not have any new updates that allow for Avatar to play. The only option is to buy a $40 upgrade.

Are there any free BluRay programs or am I stuck with buying software to play one title? VLC doesn't seem to have codecs yet. :(

I'm in the same kind of boat as you with my VAIO. I just ended up getting PowerDVD, works great.

Another thing, if for any reason you format your computer, back up the preinstalled Bu-Ray software. I forgot to when I upgraded to Windows 7 and it took me a while to scrounge up the money for another player, since Sony doesn't offer it for reinstall off their web site.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Just picked up Speed Racer at Target for $10, even though the tag said $15. Looking forward to watching what I can only assume from reviews is a jaw dropping picture.

Edit: Holy gently caress.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 13, 2010

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I figure this is the best thread to ask.

I just got a PS3, and it is my first Blu-Ray player.

What Blus do you fellow movie nerds recommend to help me get my collection started. I currently own one, The Dark Knight (it was on sale at Wal-Mart, and I love the movie, so it was a no-brainer)

The new Speed Racer. I wish I'd bought it earlier, it is spectacular visually. Also it's only $10 at Target.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Just got my new laptop today, and I made sure it had a blu-ray drive.

This friggin laptop has 1080p HD, which my TV doesn't even have (720p).

Kick-rear end also got delivered today, so I'll be watching that on here in a few minutes, once everything is done downloading.

I did the same thing last Spring. I feel like such a baller watching BluRays in full HD anywhere I am.

That is until my battery dies about 3/4 of the way through a movie :negative:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

There was a Criterion for Armageddon, of all films, though I'm told that was solely to raise money at the time.

Same with The Rock. However, that movie deserved it in my opinion.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

e: Oh poo poo both Fantasias are being released on blu-ray. I can't believe I didn't hear about this.

I've had the Amazon page for it open for weeks now, all I need is the spare cash to buy it. I cannot loving wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Bought the Alien Anthology off Amazon.co.uk, and it came in an actual case, not the paper sleeve thing like I thought it would, which is a pleasant surprise. Another bonus is that it cost $33 US shipped, which is as much as it would have cost off amazon.com for just Alien and Aliens, so I'm getting all the bonus materials and Alien 3 and Resurrection for free. Sweet deal. Have only watched the first two so far and they look fantastic, and the disk swapping feature that skips all the menus and stuff at the beginning of the next movie is awesome, I hope they put that in every movie series from here on.

• Locked thread