Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Hello, new thread!

So the Patrick Stewart/David Tennant Hamlet is out tomorrow. Has anyone seen it? I'm assuming it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't know why they do that. They've done it with the Met Opera stuff as well. Why can't they just show Bob Ross reruns and save prime-time slots for something people (i.e., me :v: ) actually want to see?

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 4, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Liberty Valance posted:

I'm sure this got asked several times in the old thread, but any word yet on Lawrence of Arabia?

word
Lawrence Of Arabia

There, that's the best you're going to get for a while.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

doctor thodt posted:

Spartacus reviewed

It's a good thing I don't like this movie, because this is awful.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Does this mean he'll be cropping the sides off?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He comes off like a conspiracy theorist.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Criterion DVD is anamorphic, if you're itching to watch it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't think Cruise is a particularly great actor, but he's really not that bad. It's just that he's Tom Cruise, and any character he plays will inevitably be Tom Cruise in different clothes. Even in Eyes Wide Shut he was just Dr. Cruise (not to mention he spends almost the entire film looking either suspicious, confused, or horny).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Welcome to Cinema On-Topic-O!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I watched Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory the other night and it's absurdly crisp and clear for a low-budget kid's movie from 1971. Also, "Cheer Up, Charlie" is great and I don't care what anybody says.

Safe Driver posted:

You might've fast forwarded over it. :laugh:

zing!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Barry Lyndon is on Netflix Instant in HD. It's probably just the old HD transfer but it looks great and it's a huge, huge step up from the DVD. I just wish they'd hurry up with a Blu-Ray.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Criminal Minded posted:

Any opinions on the blu-rays of Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining and A Clockwork Orange? I was at Best Buy grabbing Kill Bill and had EWS in my hands but with the mixed reviews and the fact that I'm nearly broke I figured I'd wait until I started working to get it.

I loving love Eyes Wide Shut but it's definitely not a blind-buy. Visually they're amazing Blu-Rays, but the audio's kind of :effort: Worth buying the ones you like, but EWS is kind of a rent-and-decide.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Criminal Minded posted:

EDIT: Oh, and when I said "mixed reviews" on EWS, I meant the blu-ray's picture. I love that movie.

Then absolutely buy it, the visual quality is excellent. It's just kind of a fuzzy film in a few scenes because Kubrick did a lot of low-level lighting. However, Blu-Ray allows the grain to really be grain, and scenes like the Christmas party at the beginning are just amazingly pretty.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Barry Lyndon :argh:

However it is now on Netflix Instant in HD, so at least there's that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
One of these days I'm going to do an in-depth write-up on Eyes Wide Shut. Every time I see it I'm like "gently caress, this movie needs a thread" but then I put it off and put it off and then forget about it. Hell, every time I see a really great movie I get all amped up about it. I think I've got most of a potential 3 Women thread lurking around on my computer.

LAZINESS

But yeah, Eyes Wide Shut is amazing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Trade it in for a Truffaut...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Captain Charisma posted:

My BB didn't even have Moon :ughh:

Didn't Moon get an infamously itty-bitty BR release?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I remember there being a fuss about it. Maybe because Moon is a goon favorite.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's an infamous case of really bad DNR, though the general consensus is that you won't notice on a screen under 40 inches. Blu-Ray.com, DVDBeaver

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
DURP HURPA DUR BLURP

There is no Platoon Blu-Ray.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 12, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Holy poo poo, that's even worse than Patton. He looks airbrushed. And smug about it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Man, the detail in this one is kind of incredible:

That little umbrella is so sharp.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Here is an article that talks about the changes. The cinematographer hates it. It does lose the warm 70s look, and the outcome is kinda like A Clockwork Orange.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
At least he's not as batshit as Vittorio "Last Supper" Storaro. There were a couple emails from him floating around here at some point where he blathered about golden ratios and HD screens and came off like the timecube guy. What's really funny is that the Last Supper is not 2.00:1 like he thinks it is, which makes the cropping of The Last Emperor even stupider.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Blu-Ray.com screencaps. It appears to be the victim of some DNR, but nothing too excessive. If you're a fan of the film it's probably a good buy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Predator Blu-Ray.com review. Welp.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Maybe they leveled all the Dutch angles.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can't imagine how it could be better; not only is the Criterion disc transfer fantastic, StudioCanal have already demonstrated that they don't really give a poo poo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Thirteen gigs of additional movie space is nothing to sneeze at. The Criterion does have more grain detail, which is sort of a tiny thing to talk about but it does illustrate the extra bitrate. I still can't wait to see this, though, waiting for this Blu-Ray is just like anticipating a theatrical release.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Wiggly posted:

Is there only the $62.99 limited edition or am I missing something?

If you're not willing to pay the premium, your ears aren't ready for The Sound Of Music.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I loved that letter, it had all the hallmarks of a crazy blog post.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Well, what do you like? The Warner Brother Kubricks have great image quality but the audio is pretty :effort:. All the Criterions are just wonderful, though Playtime is a little fuzzy considering that it was originally shot on 65mm. Actually, my favorite Blu-Ray is Fantastic Mr. Fox, because it captures the textures really well and it's just crystal-clear. Blu-Ray.com is good for large screencaps, as well as DVDBeaver (one of the reviewers has the amusing quirk of including boobs in every review of a film with even a single frame of nudity).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm anxious for The Man Who Knew Too Much, if just because the current disc is so unbelievably lovely.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can understand where he's coming from, I think films should be something that demand your entire focus (unless you've got poo poo to do because I know I'll get at least one "yeah but not everyone has hours of free time :rolleyes:" response), and it always bugs me when people post on here something like "Oh yeah so I'm watching Such-And-Such right now it's pretty good", because it's like yeah it is good so go watch it you dipshit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com says Hamlet was hit with DVNR, too:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hamlet-Blu-ray/10381/#Review

THERE IS NO :argh: BIG ENOUGH

AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Region A Time Bandits is not very good.

:(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Apparently A Zed And Two Noughts has received a nice Blu-Ray thanks to BFI. It's region-free, too. Does FFD know about this?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The only film of his I've seen is The Belly Of An Architect (which was almost operatic), but I'm intrigued by the screencaps.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I wish Greenaway had better representation on DVD. The local library has one copy of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, but it's "lost".

FirstCongoWar posted:

They're on one of the posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't care if this is a year and a half away, I'm excited as hell.

• Locked thread