Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Lucas posted:

Altman's The Player is coming September 7th

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Eh, I like the original better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
really not feeling that cover, to be honest

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It could be worse, I'm still waiting for more James Bond movies.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love the Sphinx poking over her neck.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

I really like this cover and now I want to see this.

you're kidding, right, that's one of the most hilariously bad covers I've seen other than the ones on Redbox machines

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to admit that it wouldn't be impossible for StudioCanal to actually gently caress up that much

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

Recently watched How To Train Your Dragon, such a cute movie. :3:

That's out? Thought it was another week.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if Babe is getting a release that means Pig In The City is getting a release too right :allears:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, that's pretty much how special sets should be done, not statuettes somehow concealing discs inside, or whatever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Also, I see through your bullshit, Barnes and Noble. 50% off Criterion and there's not one copy of Chungking Express, Kagemusha, Last Emperor, or any other movie I wanted.

The sale ended yesterday and those movies were pretty much spilling out all over the shelves.

Jerks. :mad:

it really must depend on where you live, I went there last week and the blu-ray section still had titles that had been out-of-print for months just sitting there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love how heavy they are, though that's probably just the giant booklet they usually include in them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Egbert Souse posted:

the plastic hologram bit is bound to produce some lovely fumes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
$46 is highway goddamn robbery for a single film

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's about time, that'll be a day-one purchase for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zenintrude posted:

I'm going to crowd source this one and do whatever you guys tell me: do I buy this now, or wait for the inevitable Criterion release?

Buy it now, the extras are lovely, but it's worth it for how goddamn amazing it looks in HD

also, it's the best Wes Anderson film (from a moron who has yet to see Rushmore).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

And for the specific case of Fantastic Mr. Fox... I see people everywhere jumping to the conclusion that it will eventually go Criterion, but I see no reason for it. It has a fantastically well-done Blu-ray already, with a full supplement package. It was also a mainstream success, so the odds of Fox parting with it are small

uh, wasn't it a pretty substantial loser at the box office?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't care if he was a bit player in the film, Jarvis Cocker on the commentary would be amazing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I prefer the existent Modern Times cover

and the typography on both of them is just wrong somehow

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sheldrake posted:

Is it bad that this is adorable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At least Best Buy usually sells below MSRP, have you ever tried to get something at B&N when it wasn't on sale?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually kinda nerd out when I see studio logos of defunct studios, or old-style studio logos on DVDs and all that, but that's just silly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love that The Ladd Company logo that appears on Once Upon A Time In America, it's all 80s as poo poo

I also associate the Gulf+Western version of the Paramount logo with Good Things

Logochat

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What's the word on the blu-ray of The Stunt Man?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, regarding animation, Fantastic Mr. Fox would seem to be a sure bet within the next few years given their relationship with Wes Anderson.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PeePot posted:

They updated it with the cover! It looks like something my mom would buy, and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't appreciate Malick. edit: nevermind looks like it's just a horrible poster/placeholder.

That looks about the quality of those fake posters Redbox uses sometimes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Monterey Pop is amazing on blu-ray.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fantastic Mr. Fox is probably cheap as hell now, and might be the best looking blu-ray I have.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've put up some pretty obscure stuff on eBay and I've always been surprised at how many people actually end up bidding on it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'd personally like to see them get Fantastic Mr. Fox, since the BD of that is next to barebones.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah. You probably won't like all of them (Anderson is one of those directors where even people who love him usually dislike one of his films, though which one that is varies a ton), but they're all worth seeing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

scary ghost dog posted:

I've been using Speed Racer for this.

Fantastic Mr. Fox, here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

penismightier posted:

Vampyr, The Furies, Burden of Dreams, Mr. Arkadin.

Adding to this, and Night of the Hunter, get Breathless, and Bicycle Theives.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's probably old news, but I just picked up the Mission Impossible blu-ray boxset from Best Buy for $25, pretty good price for three movies.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really want an individal release of Spy Who Loved Me, and OHMSS. The full set is tempting, though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is there a release date on that set, by the way?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
So is it really normal for Blu-Ray software companies to stop providing compatibility updates just a few years after your version comes out

Because jesus christ, I do not want to have to pay $100 every two years if I want to keep being able to play Blu-Rays on my computer

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What's special about the OPPO's anyway, do they just load quickly?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They are widely available on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That is such a dumb release plan, though I guess I only really need to hit up Best Buy, since those three are the best by a decent margin. (maybe The Living Daylights as well)

• Locked thread