Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I think a worst Blu Ray category would be rather pointless. Too subjective (especially with PQ), just recommend in the OP for buyers steer away from discs with MPEG-2 codecs since most earlier releases of Blu Ray aren't too hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

The Thin Red Line reviewed
Preordered, I just wish it wasn't region A locked. Dragging my PC into the living room sucks.

I recently purchased a Sony S370 to replace the awful Sammy 1500. Really nice budget player that's compact with heaps of features.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

The Pacific is only $38 for today at amazon.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Wait a second. Are you saying there's an alternate version of the Room?
Tommy Wiseau filmed 'The Room' with a 35mm camera and a HD digital camera on the same tripod side by side. Maybe some deleted scenes will be added like following up on the cancer revelation or seeing what happens to Chris for the drug...ah gently caress it, who cares.

The best thing about 'The Room' is going to a theater drunk and throwing plastic spoons at the screen. The film is too tedious to watch by yourself.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I use VLC media player + AnyDVD HD on Win7 x64 with a Pioneer drive. Pros and Cons:
+by default the main movie file plays straight away
+most recent BluRay I played was Dark Knight Rises

-I cannot use the disc menus because the disc won't start if I leave the "No Disc Menus" option is unchecked
-no disc menus means I have to access extras (making of videos, etc..) and video options (subtitles, etc...) with the VLC options (not really a huge problem but not good for a computer illiterate person)
-hardware acceleration is disabled because the the occasional disc stutters if it is left on (although video quality seems fine with it off)
-Individual episodes for TV shows seem to be stitched together back to back into the main movie file
-I cannot access overlay menus

None of these problems are show stoppers but if you are setting it up for a family member/friend who is clueless around computers get a BluRay player. I can vouch for Panasonic BDT220, got that for my mum, very capable piece of kit.

• Locked thread