Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Do not resuscitate?

On topic I pre-ordered the Vengeance Trilogy and I'm pretty excited about that. I own about 16-20 blurays and most of them have been pretty high quality, except Goodfellas which looks exactly like the DVD version which kinda looked like the VHS version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

bad movie knight posted:

Zombieland

The only part that sticks out to me is the Capitol Building (or was it White House?) at the beginning that's on fire looks really fake. I'll agree the rest looks really nice and you don't even really recognize it's CG.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

I said come in! posted:

The arguments against the LOTR blu-rays were that they don't look as good as they should. More effort could have been put into them. Although they are still impressive, but the asking price for the box set is a bit much. Best Buy is selling it for around $85.

Trying to double dip on that one again is a bit of a dick move.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I just picked up The Road on my lunch break, what a horrible DVD cover:

They should've used this one:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

sportsgenius86 posted:

This one is much worse

To me the first one looks like a poorly done photoshop and isn't really indicative of the feel of the movie, which the second one is. Plus the title font is gently caress ugly. I'm all for less is more so that's probably why I prefer the second one.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Bambi posted:

Versus

Pretty excited about that one. Can't wait to own that movie 4 times over.

Fake edit: I was looking on Amazon and there's a 3 disc in a sleek metal tin that I never bought. Also according to the picture on Amazon the blu ray is just the special edition. I wonder if they're going to release it again in the Director's Cut then the Ultimate Edition with all the extra footage.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Have they fixed the Oldboy lossless audio on The Vengeance Trilogy? I'm struggling to find any information about this. Also does anyone know if the tin is only available from Best Buy?

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

FitFortDanga posted:

I ordered from Amazon and got the tin.

Speaking of that, I don't think I want to bother trying to eBay the thing, so if anyone wants a Vengeance Trilogy tin (just the empty tin), PM me and I'll hook you up for a couple dollars shipping.

I'll take it off your hands assuming the fixed version doesn't come with the tin.

e; Walmart has it online for $40 but I can't find out whether or not it has the tin or the fixed copy and probably won't know until it arrives if you don't mind holding onto for a bit I'd appreciate it.

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 17, 2010

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

doctor thodt posted:

Criterion usually has the best cover art, but I'm not in love with that font. It kinda looks like a child tried to draw the Fight Club font. It's too thin, perhaps they could use a thick white line? :downsrim:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Maybe the studio's think the consumer will think they're getting less if they purchase whole seasons of a show on 1 disc. Often on the boxes they emphasize "X episodes on Y discs" so maybe that has something to do with it. Not that I agree with the price hike just playing devil's advocate.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
How's are Criterions chosen? I get that a lot of them are the finest in Cinema, but some of them (Chasing Amy, Armageddon) don't seem up to par with the rest.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

doctor thodt posted:

Versus

Is it the Ultimate version?

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I was looking on the Barnes and Noble website and it's showing a buy 2 get 1 free sale going on now as well. Does that work with the half off Criterion sale?

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I still own the Alien Legacy so it may be time for an upgrade.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I ordered A Prophet Monday because it owns and I've been tracking my package and it's been in Phoenix all week Amazon :argh:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
He just didn't want people skipping to the sex scene.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Sporadic posted:

I'm glad studios are starting to experiment on what they can put on a disc. Three movies on one disc is pushing it but at least they are passing on the savings, of only using one disc, to the consumer. Can't beat getting three films for $27, as long as they didn't totally gently caress up the transfers.

I think we had this conversation before about It's Always Sunny but I'm on the opposite end. For some reason I just feel like I'm getting less with all three movies on one disc. I'd prefer to pay a little extra and get a multi tiered case with three individual discs. Something about it also reminds me of those double/triple feature dvds you see at Walmart with like 3 horrible Chuck Norris movies on them. It'll be interesting to see how people respond though.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

:allears:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
$20 off the Alien Box Set with the fancy egg if that's your thing, for a grand total of $99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Sorry about the derail but FFD do you still have that Vengeance Trilogy tin/would you still be willing to part with it? Mine got all hosed up and bent moving.

• Locked thread