Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bambi posted:

Word on the web is Saving Private Ryan has some syncing issues. How does a problem like this make it to store shelves? Do these studios not watch their movies before they press them to discs?

Apparently the issue lasts a minute at the most and isn't incredibly noticeable even when it is there, according to people on blu-ray.com.

I'm buying it anyway. Worst comes to worst, they do the replacement deal, but it sounds like the problem isn't even worth the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Simpsons season 13 announced on both DVD and Blu-ray. Kinda surprised about the BD announcement - Season 20 made sense as that's when they switched to widescreen and HD, but Season 13 would just be an upscale to 1080p unless they went back to the animation cells and rescanned or something (assuming that's even possible, I don't know exactly how farmed-out-to-Korea animated shows are produced, and what material is archived after an episode is produced). Most likely, it will just be upscaled - considering that the first half of season 20 (before the HD switch) was clearly upscaled.

It's possible that they have some sort of higher quality master and the scaled it down for television, but who knows.

It's likely just an upscale though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Glee's always going to be high because of the music rights. At least it's not $120 or something godawful like it was for American Dreams.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

This one is much worse

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't get it. The second one looks like a god-awful fan photoshop to me.

I like the cover photo though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

Do you save any money buying this set?

For the pre-order price on Amazon right now, yes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Life (Attenborough) for $30

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2056124

fuckkkkkk

my amazon order shipped today too

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I drove an extra 15 minutes to go to the Best Buy in hicktown, under the assumption that nobody there would know or want Moon.

I was correct.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Hey, as long as both are on the BD (as has been announced), then he can like whatever he chooses. I've never had a problem with directors revising their work as long as the original people fell in love with is still available too.

What's the use of it being available on BD if it's going to look like poo poo?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Beauty and the Beast special features:

I am so buying the gently caress out of this on release day.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

penismightier posted:

Looks real good. I swear to god, James Cameron has made a career out of people forgetting that he knows what he's doing.

generally once the novelty effect of his methods wears off, you're left with a pretty generic, forgettable movie most times and since his work is so spaced out, most people just forget the context of his films.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

qbert posted:

Really? He's only made like 7 movies over the past 25+ years and I'd say at least 4 of them still hold up as pretty classic works.

Aliens holds up perfectly and is EASILY his best movie IMO.

True Lies probably holds up second best.

The Terminator movies, Abyss, Titanic are all underwhelming the more I watch them. To each his own though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought America: The Story of Us was just alright. I was expecting more Ken Burns than re-enacted stuff. It seemed like one of those poo poo videos you'd have to watch in school that came supplementary to the text book.

The further along the show got, the worse it got IMO, if only because the breaking point where actual video footage existed made the re-enactments stupid and unnecessary.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My apologies if this has already been posted in here but I'll do it anyway.

Through the Disney Blu-Ray Club, you can get 9 BR's for $89.70.

1. Go to disneyblurayclub.com
2. Input code 14366
3. Pick 5 BRs for $1. ($0.20 each)
4. Pick 1 BR for $11.95 (counts toward 3 BR commitment)
5. Pick 1 BR for $7.95 (doesn't count toward commitment)
6. Get those 7 BRs now for $21.90
7. Buy 2 more BRs over the course of 24 months at $29.95 each to complete commitment
8. Cancel club

As with any club like this, you have to opt out of that featured disc whenever they try to send it, but I guess they send you a mailing with the title indicated, then you send something back if you want to opt out. If you don't opt out in time, they mail you the disc and charge you.

I normally hate these club things, but I can buy two movies over the course of 2 years in addition to the 7 I'm getting right off the bat, so I figured gently caress it, I'll let you guys know.

I picked up:
Up
Monsters Inc.
Cars
A Bug's Life
Ratatouille
Wall-E
Sin City

Hope at least one of you can get good use of this deal like I did.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

The details on the website say you have to buy 3 at 29.95. :eng101:

If you buy the $11.95 blu-ray when you initially sign up, it counts as one of your three

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What happened to the cool Cylon head boxset?

The case for the individual seasons in that set were basically cardboard and the discs were really, really hard to get out of it, plus they scratched after a couple uses.

IIRC, the new set has them in the book style cases with the plastic holders for each disc.

The Cylon head was cool, but it was murder on discs.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a hi-res of that fake Room cover?

I wanna print it out and use it when the real BR comes out

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dudebro posted:

That's just a terrible cover overall regardless of Liam's face. There are a lot of things you could do with A-Team and four guys and make it look cool. That's just lazy and unimaginative.

I have no suggestions for a better alternative. loving sparks, really?

The DVD cover literally has them hovering above the ground. They just took the movie poster and photoshopped everyone up the image so they're detached from their shadows just floating in the air.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Cue 10,000 uptight nerds at HTF screaming "censorship" because they don't get the joy of seeing a few seconds of racism in hi-def. Most of them will swear never to buy anything from Disney ever ever again, but of course they will.

haha DVD Talk is going to be in a rage with sperglords going off about how "THIS ISN'T HOW IT WAS BROADCAST IN THEATERS SO THIS ISN'T HOW IT SHOULD BE ON MY BLU-RAY PLAYER GODDDAMMMMITTT"

There were people over there that were actually flipping out hardcore about how a little BR pop up menu came up during the credits of Beauty and the Beast to lead the viewer toward a documentary about the making of the film.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Those things I always throw away immediately. I should go make a thread with pictures on a hidef forum the next time I buy some movies.

You could probably make money sending the slips you don't want to those loving retards on dvdtalk and blu-ray.com.

If it so much as creases they flip the gently caress out asking people if they have extra slipcovers.

and the best is when they freak out about lenticular covers

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amazoncom-Movies-TV/243253990754

Everyone get on Facebook and "Like" this page.

If Amazon's TV & Movies fan page gets 50,000 likes by Thanksgiving, they're running a 4-hour Black Friday Lightning Deal with Mad Men seasons 1-3 on DVD for $7.99 or Blu-Ray for $9.99

I know a bunch of you would probably take advantage of this deal, so I'm spreading it here in hopes they can hit the 50,000 mark.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

- THERE'S A MARK ON THE UPC!!!!!!!

- This slipcover has too many stickers

- The first two had slipcovers and the third one doesn't come with one. I am literally going to die because of this.

- They cut out the horribly racist 2 seconds of this movie. That should be illegal. That is not how the movie was originally shown. GIVE ME MY loving SLAVE BACK.

- This Blu-Ray had 4 inserts, I feel 3 is an acceptable amount, but 4 is way overdoing it.

- The sticker across the top of the case pulled off some of the silver paint on the blu-ray logo. This constitutes murder.

Also, I didn't have a Blu-Ray player until last Christmas, but I'm over 100 now and I haven't spent more than $10 on very many of them.

It's been a good year for taking advantage of Blu-Ray sales between:
- the increase in catalog titles
- the used sale from Hollywood Video
- the massive Best Buy Halloween Sale
- DVD2Blu program
- Disney Blu-Ray Club
- Coupons on Disney releases

I've probably only paid $600-700 of my own money for what I have.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 18, 2010

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

drat straight.

Click here for the full 1500x441 image.

good lord

I'm confused as to what occupation someone could have that a) allows them to buy that many blu-rays and b) gives them ample time to watch them

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Anyone interested in "blu-ray sperglords" needs to watch this gem, a "video review" on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R4Z6GC1OYW013/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003F18008&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

Hard to believe.

Shrek: Techie Sperglord

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

That looks modest compared to now :saddowns:

hahaha give us an update doc

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Also why does 2 Sopranos boxes get top shelf but the rest get bottom shelf?

probably because the bottom shelf ones are DVDs while the top shelf ones are Blu-Rays

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

grabbed:

Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
Return of the King
She's Out Of My League
The Hangover
Hot Tub Time Machine
Black Dynamite
Fanboys
Kick-rear end
Watchmen

Black Friday owns

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

The LotR Blu-rays aren't the EE versions though, right?

True. But who knows when we'll get the EEs

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have never seen any of the Harry Potter movies nor read the books.

At $40, will I be at all disappointed in buying the set tomorrow?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

On the whole, it's a rich and rewarding film series. The first two are kiddie bullshit, but worth owning just for completion's sake. The third, fifth and sixth films are marvelous (and quite sumptuous on Blu-Ray in terms of audio/video/supplements). I would recommend the Ultimate Editions over the regular version nine times out of ten, but since you're completely uninitiated with the series and it's a lot cheaper/more convenient to buy the box set, this would be the one time out of ten where it's okay. $6.66 per movie is a drat good deal, too.

thank you!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. I've always wanted to watch them so I figure I'll get this and watch them and if I end up loving them, I can turn this set around in a couple months for at least what I'm paying for it and pick up the Ultimate Editions.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Red posted:

I sat through Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, and to be honest, I didn't get it. To me, it seems like a (very rich-looking, and well done) children's film. Like thodt said, it breaks down to about $6.66 per movie if you buy the set, but that's still somewhat of an investment for a franchise you have no knowledge about. Then again, the series is pretty popular, and most girls I know love it.

Rule of thumb: If you watch it and hate it, but have a friend/kid you can gift it to, there you go. Or, if you have your own kids, it's a no-brainer. I'd personally rather spend the $40 on a few Kubrick films.

If I don't like them, I may just re-gift it to my seven-year-old niece since her birthday is in February.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Well this is great news, even though they did not get 50,000 likes they are still doing the deal on Amazon.

Mad Men" Seasons 1,2, and 3 to $9.99 each on DVD and Blu-ray from Nov. 25 through Nov. 27.

FUCKKK YES

to anyone reading this: if you've never seen this show but appreciate great television, blind buy these. I swear you will not regret it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Precious is $10 on Amazon right now if anyone's interested

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

In the span of a week I picked up the following from Amazon:

Fellowship of the Ring
Two Towers
Return of the King
She's Out of My League
The Hangover
Watchmen
Kick-rear end
Hot Tub Time Machine
Black Dynamite
Fanboys
Harry Potter 1-6 Gift Set
Mad Men Seasons 1-3
Precious
Predators
Step Brothers
BTTF Trilogy
Shutter Island

from Wal-Mart:

Predator
12 Rounds
Road House
Silence of the Lambs
Rescue Dawn
Live Free or Die Hard
Fighting
Invictus
Get Him To The Greek
Taking of Pelham 123
Karate Kid
Blind Side
Gran Torino

and spent $300

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I went over my self-allotted budget of $220 but will rectify that by selling some old stuff back.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

How'd you get it for 25$?!

Lightning Deal on Amazon Monday morning.

I ordered it at 11 on Monday and was holding it by 1 on Tuesday. Amazon owns.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Everyone should read this thread if you love movie collecting aspies.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/573123-official-ocd-dvd-collecting-organization-discussion-thread.html

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

SCORSESE
TARANTINO
JENA MALONE

:wtf:

:laffo:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mustach posted:

My mind really wants this to be Jenna Maroney.

would buy The Rural Juror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dudebro posted:

What's up with the TRON blu-ray? Seems like they're missing a good opportunity to release it. Though I'm watching it right now and it wouldn't jive too well with TRON Legacy's target audience.

Disney had a few special screenings of the original TRON at their parks and people laughed at how cheesy the special effects looked now so Disney was afraid that re-releasing the movie on dvd would give others the same impression and hurt ticket sales for TRON: Legacy.

• Locked thread