Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I didn't know Michael Shannon was in King of Kings.

Thanks.

Now all I've been doing the last 10 minutes is picturing Jesus talking like Steven Wright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I saw To Live and Die in LA at Wal-Mart for $8.

Never seen the movie but I'm contemplating going back and making a blind buy. Should I do it?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks everyone!

Just bought it and hope to watch it tomorrow or Friday.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fear was a campy average movie and Petersen loving owned it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Fear was an awesome movie! At least when I was 11

It doesn't hold up as well, but it's really good for what it is. It could've easily been absolutely horrible but was saved 100% by the three main actors.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cherokee Jack posted:

I kind of realized that. They're loving morons. :)

Lowry digital does the majority of film restorations, correct? If so, how closely do they work in conjunction with companies like Disney? Get access to the artwork and the like that you mentioned? It's probably a dumb question, but I need to get my dumb questions out of the way for 2010.

Oh god, I forgot how spergy the posters are at the blu-ray.com forums. Someone was quite upset at not getting a slip cover for Nightmare on Elm Street. :ughh: Someone else drove to four different Future Shops, to no avail, trying to find Sherlock Holmes for $10. I bought mine at WM for $15, saving the hassle of driving store-to-store.

I went to like 10 wal-marts in the last month with the pre-wrapped copies of Sherlock Holmes for $10.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

I hope your job involves going to Wal-Mart in some capacity.

may you never have a spoiled 5-year-old niece.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/star-wars-blu-ray-to-get-a-most-impressive-announcement-at-ces/

Some sort of Star Wars Blu-Ray announcement to come at CES. This could either be awesome or...

since it likely involves George Lucas, I'll be taking the "or" on this one

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Best Buy ad for next week is out.

For those of you who bought Easy A, Salt, etc., and got the $5 Sony coupon, you can pick up the first season of Justified for $20 with the coupon, which I HIGHLY recommend.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

RevKrule posted:

This might get adjusted down again as Best Buy is running it for $20 this week.

Best Buy is running it for $25. You can get it for $20 there if you have the $5 off coupon Sony included with Easy A or Salt.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Just an FYI

Disney sent me an e-mail yesterday saying the blu-rays for Pinocchio, Snow White and Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 are going in the vault on April 30th, so buy them before it's too late.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bought Never Let Me Go and Let Me In on a blind buy today because I'm anticipated being iced/snowed in tomorrow.

Good choice? or leave the shrink wrap on and return them?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zenintrude posted:

How much do you like crying?

Am I crying because the movies connected emotionally or because I wasted $40?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the help everyone. I unwrapped the movies.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There's a niche crowd of stupid fat girls and pedophiles who feel the need to own every single possible Harry Potter release, even if it's a retread of what they already have.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Get the PS3.

- A top-of-the-line player
- Easier firmware upgrades
- Netflix, Hulu, youtube, etc.,
- Has a Web browser
- Can stream video, audio, pictures, etc., from your computer to your television

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

some of you guys might wanna check craigs list in your area for Blockbuster stores that are closing. The ones around me have put listings up and I've scored some decent deals from there.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

If $10 is going to break the bank you're in the wrong hobby.

It's more the fact that you're basically being forced to pay more right now for packaging as opposed to extra content.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

sursumdeorsum posted:

What does this mean to me as a consumer? Should I try to snatch up the titles that I want now before its too late? Should I have a sense of urgency?

You can snatch them up if you want, but they'll exist again relatively soon on Blu-ray so the only real market for these Buena Vista versions is going to be sperglords on the BR forums who flip out about needing the same thing twice because the UPCs are different.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

I took that post to mean that the BLU RAYs are going OOP. Your post makes it sound like you think the dvds are going out of print and that they will soon be on blu ray so if that's not what you meant then sorry.

If you mean "they will be re-released again soon on Blu Ray" I have to ask what makes you so sure?

In any case I was thinking about snatching up chasing amy before it gets to be ridiculous to find.

The rights were bought by another distributor so the original distributor is no longer printing them because they can't.

While it's entirely possible some of those may not get a reprint, many of them have the potential to sell well, so the new distributor will likely release them again.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

all I could think was Ten Commandments, Awesome Show! Great Job!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Looking to pick up a few Criterion releases just for fun.

Thinking of getting Days of Heaven and For All Mankind. Are those good choices?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably grab Days of Heaven, For All Mankind, 8 1/2 and House in the next month or so.

Love getting per diem money then having work pay for everything any way.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Did you see the Great Dictator cover?

This is in no way even close to as bad as the Makioka Sisters' cover. At least this included even the slightest amount of creativity.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sporadic posted:

I don't know. Minus the middle part, it looks like something I would have made in MS Paint when I was a kid.

That's very true. The other one is literally four triangles put together though.

Drawing that stupid Hitler hair on the Great Dictator takes more time and effort than the entire Makioka Sisters cover.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

Apparently it means you get a DVD copy with your Blu-Ray copy. :what:

So they basically just have the Canadian version of the Target exclusive.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Taxi Driver came in. Goddamn, this is an incredible box, and it comes with some sweet picture stills from the film. It kinda annoys me that the box is wider than bluray/dvd cases.

And it's all a loving steal for 13 bucks!

I was loving shocked. I thought the 12.99 one was just going to be in a standard blu case.

This is loving incredible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

hahahahaha some sperglords on the DVD sites are complaining about the possibility of the paper with the extras listed falling off of the case.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

metallicaeg posted:

Do you mean the paper with the UPC barcode that's attached with easy to remove adhesive because it's obviously not part of the final product?

hahaha yep, That would be the one.

Dudebro posted:

Now we wait for that pic of a collection organized by genre/director/alphabet and whatever the hell else.

Scorsese.
Tarantino.
Jena Malone.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

dogflaps posted:

When do you think we'll start getting some more info on the Star Wars Blu Rays? Been quiet for months. I want some previews! Reckon they'll be any more changes? I actually hope there is. If Lucas is going to insist on keeping the 'modernised' versions, the least he can do is make them look better. The CGI in the original trilogy really draws attention to itself,he should go back and make it more subtle. I'm looking at you, Sy Snootles... Also, make the loving lightsabers have some colour consistency. They seem to change from blue to green and red to pink from every scene.

Part of me secretly thinks he'll make Han shoot first again, after seeing him wearing the Han Shot First t-shirt.

We'll know more once he's done trying to out-lovely William Friedkin for worst transfer humanly possible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Pull that flap off of Taxi Driver and throw it in the trash or I'll loving kill you and burn your goddamn house down.

I just cut off the top part and tucked the list of extras into the flap with the other stuff. Is this acceptable or am I still subject to arson?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This is the worst of both camps. You keep the superfluous packaging and you also destroy it.

Yes, this piece of useful information should absolutely be thrown away in tact.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I don't get the impression that these people think their collections will be valuable. Normal people can certainly have the desire to collect things - it's a regularly-occurring trait that is exploited in all kinds of ways, from things like baseball cards and comic books to the gameplay mechanisms in platform video games (i.e. Mario 64 - collect all the stars, etc.). It's just with these people, this normal drive to collect is in overdrive, and combined with some fairly large amounts of OCD.

Some BDs here and there are genuinely valuable (certain Steelbooks, out-of-print Criterion titles, Blue Underground's release of The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, etc.), but in general no, they are not valuable.

But these people truly believe that having some lovely Universal insert or a sticker on the front that says Playstation 3 Compatible means they have a vastly superior version of the release.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The best is the spergers in the Big Lots Deals thread on DVD Talk. I'll be the first one to admit I look at the thread regularly for legitimately good deals, but there are people that will buy literally any lovely movie they can find and then list it on there and talk about it like they just found On The Waterfront or something.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Black Friday is probably the only time new games are ever marked down more than 5 or 8 dollars.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Alien Anthology Amazon UK - $33 shipped to US

This is region free and an absolutely ridiculous deal.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

the blu-ray.com forums are only good for checking deals.

If you read those forums for reviews of anything, you are a retard.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

All that burger post needed was occasional breaks for mouth breathing

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

They don't need money to make the show. Didn't they sign like a six season contract a couple years ago?

I'm sure Seinfeld would be funnier if it was set in a Denny's, or Friends was in a Starbucks.

Real products don't make the show any funnier, and to introduce them this far into the show is distracting and transparent.

So your justification for the network not needing money is them being tied into longterm contracts with the people on the show? Do you realize how contradictory (and extremely retarded) that sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I need a Criterion version of Kindergarten Cop

• Locked thread