Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I'm finally making the jump to blu-ray. Should I rebuy Blade Runner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

fenix down posted:

Which version do you have now?

The five disc "Ultimate Collector's Edition".

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

BitterAvatar posted:

Oh god what's wrong with Gladiator? I didn't even realize it had issues.

It's badly written.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Volcasarus ReX posted:

This movie was amazing, but they could have done the first 35 minutes a little better. It just moved a little slow.

FitFortDanga has a cure for that.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It's a shame to see that the picture-in-picture stuff on The Wolfman is only on the theatrical release. I may have to buy one and rent the other.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

There's only one release, it includes both the theatrical and director's cuts.

Great. Now I just just need to learn how to read.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

You're loving shittin' me, right? This is from the gag reel titled "what we would have done if we were making a terrible movie", right?

Now imagine it in 3D.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

At 25fps, an 83 minutes film would only be about three seconds shorter.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

No it wouldn't. A film that runs 83 minutes at 24 fps would run 79 minutes and 40 seconds (and 20 frames) at 25fps.

I'm good at maths :downs: Yeah, I meant three minutes, but that would require me to be not stupid

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

So the new Predator Blu-Ray sure is, uh, interesting...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/606b8b84038010

He looks like his own waxwork model.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

edit: The Exorcist is coming 10/5 in a digibook. It will include both the director's and theatrical cuts of the film.

You just made my day. I must say though, that there are three versions of the film; the original theatrical cut that was subsequently banned, the 25th anniversary edition which is Friedkin's preferred cut and the "version you've never seen" which is the longest version and Blatty's preferred cut. Which two are on he blu-ray?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

any word on Friedkin changing the colours around like in the French Connection?

Tell me more about this... and capitalise your posts.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Now I'm just depressed. I hope he doesn't gently caress around with the Exorcist like that.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

The first one is obvious in Arnold's cheeks. They look like they're made of wax. His clothing has that clay look, too.

Look at his forehead! It just looks... wrong. Like the technology just can't figure out foreheads.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

So is Friedkin pretending that the longer version is his preferred version now? That guy is full of poo poo.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

I don't think it's anything new, on both accounts. He seemed pretty excited over it on a documentary made a couple decades after the original cut, and on the same documentary he sounded like a douche when arguing with the screenwriter, or producer, can't recall which

He's been on record many times arguing with Blatty over it, defending his own decision to cut the scenes that magically reappeared on the extended version and now he prefers that version?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Those are some shiny biceps right there.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Bad Boys 2 and Lawrence of Arabia at this point are Blu-Ray's versions of Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2.

And what exactly does that mean?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Bambi posted:

They've been "in the works" since the inception of the format but won't actually be released until the devil is spotted wearing a parka.

Ah, I see. I don't follow video games much.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Is there any word on anything Muppets-related coming to blu-ray?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Harlock posted:

That cover would be amazing without all the quotes.

I don't know. I found them magically compelling and gorgeous.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

I'm curious, has anyone seen Green Zone on DVD? Because I can't imagine that grain holding up well in standard definition. Someone at work was complaining because they'd watched the blu-ray and he thought it was a faulty disc. I had to explain to him that "Green Zone just looks like that, it's actually a flawless transfer".

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

That's hideous. Does the double-bill consist of Grindho and Housegr?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

The Evil Dead reviewed

Now I know what to get the missus for her birthday.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Toy Story Trilogy:

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Trilogy-10-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B003YUC2FE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1284321177&sr=8-1

That actually looks kind of neat, and the price isn't too bad, but I think I'll stick with my individual releases.

That's a lot of discs. It'd be nice if that got a UK release.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Ok, so I got my hands on a copy of Glee. What I need to know is whether I should even bother watching any of it.

That depends on your sexual orientation.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Tyree posted:

So for some reason, Beauty and the Beast, Grindhouse, and 7 other things I ordered came in the mail today from Amazon, even though it doesnt come out til tuesday. Only the Exorcist didnt make it. Ever happen to anyone else here?

I always get my Amazon pre-orders early, which is why I always pre-order from Amazon.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Right. However, be aware that there's a chance that it won't include the bonus DVD with all the special features. There's a lovely trend occurring among some studios right now where all/most of the special features are contained on a separate DVD, and this DVD is only limited to the first pressing of a given title. Even though The Evil Dead only came out a month ago, people are already getting copies that don't contain the DVD.

I really can't figure out the logic behind this one.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

quote:

-- D-BOX Motion Control Enabled

What the hell is this?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Space_Butler posted:

If you have an incredibly expensive d-box chair/system you this movie supports it. Think rumble in video games, but it also moves in directions and motions synced to whats happening onscreen. Pretty much nobody has it in their home theater unless they're a millionaire but it costs probably a dollar total to throw the file on the disc.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

I have the King Kong digibook winging its way over to me. I absolutely cannot wait, it's killing me. It's going to take pride of place in my collection and I will watch it daily because I loving love King Kong.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

At least the original mono track has the correct audio. I don't like these 7.1 reimaginings for classic films anyway.

Me neither. I used to think it was great when I got my first decent sound system, but now I'll take a mono track if that's what the film was released with. I bet the younger me would have hated grain on his blu-rays too.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Rocco posted:

I feel like I'm the only one legitimately excited for -all- the movies in the Alien box set.

You may well be. Alien Resurrection is not well liked around these parts. I'm personally only excited for Alien and Alien3. I don't like admitting it, but I don't think Aliens is all that great.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Randy Rand posted:

Professor you can join too :3:

Are you sure? My opinion is usually considered to be against the popular consensus.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

When I've worked my way through all the brilliant Star Trek blu rays, I'll definitely move on to The Twilight Zone.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

You know people are allowed to have their own opinions on things, right? If someone bought a blu-ray and enjoy it in spite of what everyone is telling them, good for them. I actually think Back to the Future looks pretty good, myself.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 24, 2010

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Bambi posted:

The restoration work done on Space: 1999 is breathtaking and easily on par with The Twilight Zone, Star Trek and The Prisoner. If you're at all a fan of this show, the Blu-Rays are a must buy. They just dropped in price on Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/Space-1999-Complete-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B003ES5JDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291755627&sr=8-2

I was considering this, I remember watching Space 1999 as a kid. Maybe I'll give it a rental first.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Adrianics posted:

Only tangibly related I know, but all this talk of HD streaming using Netflix is making me jealous because the UK Netflix equivalent, Lovefilm, just launched their streaming for the PS3 and it is absolutely loving atrocious.

It's a mixed bag, to be honest. Certain films look fine, but others are just horrendous. I'd love HD streaming though, hopefully that's around the corner.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Gah, I forgot how stupid the BBFC is. Thanks.

The BBFC posted:

Cuts required to remove portrayals of children in a sexualised or abusive context and images of sexual and sexualised violence which have a tendency to eroticise or endorse the behaviour. Cuts made in accordance with BBFC Guidelines and policy.

Cut by 4 minutes, 11 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like the eyeball/mountain cover, and it'll probably make more sense in print anyways. The Dictator one is unbelievably awful, and being in print won't save it simply because it doesn't make sense. One way it's Chaplin with a goiter/kerchief, the other way it's Hitler puking into a hat.

I see it more as Hitler with a tiny body. Just picture tiny-bodied Hitler waddling around and the cover becomes much better.

• Locked thread