Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Cemetry Gator posted:

What the hell is this DNR stuff and why is everyone so angry about it
This would be a great addition to the OP along with a screenshot showing what DNR looks like. This site has a good comparison of Pan's Labyrinth with and without DNR. A capture from Patton could be a good example of why it's controversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Woodtopian posted:

How are the Rome discs? I'm kind of worried the high def jump will make all of the digital backdrops they used super obvious. The Egypt scene where Pompey dies was already kind of rough.
I've only re-watched a handful of episodes on Blu-ray, but everything I've seen is gorgeous. I haven't noticed any special effects flaws.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Amazon is having a "High-Def Week" in the Gold Box, with some sales on Blu-ray movies, home theater equipment and video games. At the time of this writing, the complete Battlestar Galactica is on sale until 9 am PST or they run out. After that is the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon / Curse of the Golden Flower / House of Flying Daggers trilogy, and later today they'll have the Austin Powers collection and the collector's edition of I Am Legend. Later this week, there will be National Geographic's Extreme, National Geographic's Sea Monsters, the Ultimate Matrix Collection, John Adams, Wrestlemania XXV, The Universe and The Prisoner.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Space_Butler posted:

For those wanting to get Toy Story 3, who have 3D tv's, theres a rumor and a mysterious listing on Amazon that may indicate a 3d 4-disc release in December. So if any of you were planning on getting it in 3d blu-ray, you may want to be aware of the potential double dip. Don't know why they'd release the 3d edition a month later, but I'm not Disney.
That's great news if true. What I really want is a box set with 3D versions of all three movies, since I thought the 3D re-releases of the first two looked really good.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

I was just saying elsewhere that I watched the Monster House 3D Blu-Ray last night and it was fantastic. It's a shame the format seems to be going down the toilet so fast because it's really wonderful when it's done correctly.
Sony is making a big push for 3D games on the PS3, so I'm hoping that pushes more people to buy 3D TVs and encourages more movies in the format. I'm glad that Warner is making the effort, but I hope companies start releasing more stuff I'd want to buy. Any of the Pixar movies or the conversion of The Nightmare Before Christmas that they released in theaters a few years ago would be great.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Avatar is finally coming out in 3D!

You just have to buy a Panasonic TV.

quote:

'Avatar - 3D' Blu-ray Panasonic Exclusive in December

Those who have or are planning to purchase any Panasonic Viera Full HD 3D TV will be heading to Pandora in the third dimension!

Beginning December 1, James Cameron's 'Avatar - 3D' will be available as part of a Panasonic 3D Ultimate Pack (which includes the Blu-ray 3D and two pairs of Panasonic 3D eyeglasses) as a bonus with the purchase of any Panasonic Viera Full HD 3D TV!

Anyone who purchases a qualifying TV prior to December 1 will still be able to receive the movie through the Viera 3D TV Loyalty Program by mailing in a copy of the receipt with the disc request form which will be available at Panasonic.com starting December 1.
I honestly wonder if there's any sales data to suggest that these exclusives are helping push 3D by incentivizing TV purchases. It seems like it could just as easily be hurting the format by locking consumers out of most 3D movies unless they purchase multiple TVs. Both electronics manufacturers and movie studios could be shooting themselves in the feet.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

sursumdeorsum posted:

A question for someone who has seen Alice In Wonderland or Clash of the Titans in 3d in theaters. Does the 3d only appear at certain intervals and on particular objects in the films, or does the entire picture have depth to it like Avatar, but it just looks wrong? What looks off about the 3d? I didn't get a chance to see either of these during their theatrical release.
I saw Clash of the Titans and Piranha 3D, both of which were conversions. I felt like the effect worked passively, as in when I wasn't paying too much attention. If you look closely, though, the edges of people and objects look odd. You also start to notice that there's a depth difference between, say, an actor and the background, but the actor himself will look flat, kind of like a cardboard cut-out. Everything's just in layers like a pop-up book. The 3D didn't really add anything to either of those movies. On the other hand, I saw the 3D conversion of The Nightmare Before Christmas a few years ago and thought it looked terrific. It might have been a better conversion or maybe you just don't notice the flaws as easily with stop action characters.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

My most anticipated release tomorrow is not Scott Pilgrim, however, as I am a gay little Depeche Mode fanboy.
It's okay, you're not alone. :sissies: I'm not into concert films, but I saw them on that tour and they put on a great show. There were a lot of cool visuals that should justify the Blu-ray as if the sound quality didn't.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Good news on the 3D front: the previously hardware-exclusive Coraline is coming to retail January 4. I thought the 3D looked great in the theater so it'll be nice to pick this up and finally have a good demo disc.

Also of interest to anyone looking to get into 3D or who would just like to get a new player for cheap: Disney is offering a 3D-capable Sony Blu-ray player for $59.99 (70 percent off) with the purchase of five movies. These include titles like Fantasia, Beauty & the Beast and several Pixar titles.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

Battle Royale reviewed
Looking good! I'm glad I pre-ordered this one.

Steve Yun posted:

To get a picture that most accurately represents the blu-ray movie, should I be setting the sharpness on my TV to zero or the midway point?
My go-to calibration guide is this one for "Quick and Dirty TV Setup", which does recommend turning the sharpness all the way down with some caveats. As they explain it, the "sharpness" setting on most TVs really means "extra sharpness" and reduces detail. Some TVs are different, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Incidentally, the film that made me consider cinema as a serious art form is getting a Blu Ray release and a 3D conversion. :downs:
The interesting thing about The Room getting converted to 3D is that in a way it was actually filmed for it. Early in the production, Tommy Wiseau had the option of filming on either HD video or 35mm, and because he didn't know the difference, he just decided to film the entire feature with two cameras stuck together and compare the results. This means that they have "left eye" and "right eye" information already, so The Room of all movies might actually turn out to have better 3D than all those films that were converted after the fact. It might get kind of iffy, though, because the two cameras might not have been just the right distance apart, and it will probably need some tweaking or the "HD video eye" is going to get a lower quality image.

• Locked thread