Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

We can still post random stuff on BluRay, right?

I went to Walmart to pick up Doctor Zhivago and they only had DVD copies. :argh:

However, they had a whole stack of Close Encounters of the Third Kind for $15. It seems to be the exact same edition with the excellent slipcase, booklet, and poster, except with an insert added advertising newer discs like Nine and Planet 51. It was nearly $40 when it first came out in 2007!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I found this gem on Sony's website:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...98&N=4294953240

$700 for a decent mid-range notebook that doubles as a portable BluRay player is fairly awesome. Panasonic's portable BluRay player is the same price!

Edit: Thanks FFD.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 5, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino has details on Steamboat Bill, Jr.

* Complete alternate version of Steamboat Bill, Jr., comprised entirely of variant takes and camera angles
* Music by The Biograph Players presented in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
* Organ score by Lee Erwin
* Piano score by William Perry
* Documentary on the making of the film
* Stills Gallery
* "Why They Call Him Buster," a montage of pratfalls
* Two vintage recordings of the folk song "Steamboat Bill"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like The Magnificent Seven is a winner, too. No boobs, but it seems like MGM did a clean scan without pumping in the DVNR. The softness can be attributed to the fact it's a 1960 color film, which means the negative was probably faded and MGM had to resort to color separations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Well, I guess I'm going to cancel Spartacus until it goes to to under $10. It looks exactly like the HD-DVD captures.

What the hell is going on at Universal?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner can appear to be slightly variable because they have the widest range of eras next to Criterion, but I have yet to see a disc from them with major problems besides the :effort: 192kbs Dolby Digital tracks on monaural audio. They seemed to have switched to at least TrueHD in recent months.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't get it, Universal has had some of the best DVD transfers out there. Even their DVD of American Graffiti from 1998 is flawless.

Maybe this is fallout from the vault fire from a few years ago? Perhaps they lost the original unfiltered HD transfers and only have the processed masters.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, my new Vaio displays BluRay beautifully. It's almost too bright... probably need to mess with the settings. It was delivered to my office (UPS usually doesn't come near my place regularly) and my coworkers were impressed with how nice The General looked. And it's only a 1600x900 res screen.

But it's preinstalled with WinDVD, which happens to not have any new updates that allow for Avatar to play. The only option is to buy a $40 upgrade.

Are there any free BluRay programs or am I stuck with buying software to play one title? VLC doesn't seem to have codecs yet. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't get why both formats cannot be included so that everyone is happy.

The idea of cropping 2.35:1 films to 2:1 can be good... you gain some definition at the cost of relatively minor reframing. If it's supervised by the cinematographer and director, I feel it's in safe hands and will be handled as good as possible.

Still, why not just crop to 2.20:1 like the 70mm prints? Monitors with overscan would crop it further.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From https://www.in70mm.com
""Lawrence of Arabia" is being scanned at 8k toward the creation of a new preservation negative."

:neckbeard:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What's wrong with Valkyrie? It's nothing special, but quite engaging for having such an obvious ending (Hitler isn't blown up :ssh:).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/?tag=bluraynews-20

Amazon has the UCE of Woodstock on sale for $27.00

Wal-Mart had a "just the discs" release for a short time for $30. I cannot recommend this release enough... great film (regardless if you're into the culture or music), great presentation, and hours of extra performances.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

DO! NOT! SEEK! THE TREASURE!

everett my beard itches

Yeah, I'd jump on a Blu on day one. It looked gorgeous in 35mm.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Egbert, I keep meaning to ask you what your avatar is from. Whenever I see it, I think it's David Lynch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92xSHRK6oCA

It's E.C. Buehler, who also appeared in Speech: Using Your Voice. "Plenty of lip and tongue action."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

At least studios spare the ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION on films that would be inappropriate like Last Tango in Paris or Un Chien Andalou.

The former would include a free Land O'Lakes coupon...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Brokeback Mountain includes a pack of Quench gum.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I have all my slipcovers in a box in my closet so I can resell them on the DVDTalk and Blu-Ray.com forums.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Lucas posted:

Continue to wait. MGM has so much debt that no one wants to touch them.

Except for smaller video labels wanting titles to license from them for cheap. Criterion supposedly has a ton of films licensed from them (besides the already-released House of Games, Salo, and The Fugitive Kind) like Night of the Hunter and Paths of Glory.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Lucas posted:

I just meant that no one wants to purchase them outright. But yeah, that is true.

Sadly. While they did reach progress in the last decade, the actual film library was treated like poo poo up until the early 1990s. Robert Harris has been trying to get The Alamo and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (both shot in 65mm) restored for years, but MGM can't afford it and no private investors are interested enough. I think he got enough investors for The Alamo to preserve the 6-track soundtrack, but that's it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gremlins 2 only had one edition and it's 16x9. Batman was one of the first DVDs and even that edition was 16x9.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

If he's not, he should be.

Stagecoach was in very bad condition, so I at least understand why someone with no real film restoration knowledge would complain. But The Third Man? I don't remember that one having any real damage - all I remember is a gorgeous B&W picture. The guy has no idea what he's talking about.

I've heard the negative is gone for The Third Man - not surprising considering it was popular, had "split custody" ownership, and was shot on nitrate. But as shown in the first edition DVD's restoration comparison, even the unrestored image looked great. The usual dirt and scratches, with a tears.

Seriously, film grain looks beautiful on a big screen. It's like the image is alive and lithographed onto silver.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If it smears, then we can kill it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just bought The African Queen, There Will Be Blood, and Bonnie and Clyde from Amazon. The first is $16.49, the other two are $15.49. Also got Doctor Zhivago for $21.99 and Gone with the Wind (3-disc Scarlett Edition) for $26.99 from Deep Discount.

I normally don't like double dipping this much, but there's not going to be deals this good for a while.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

gently caress, do you know how long those prices will last? I start making money on Thursday and I've been waiting for a reasonable price on There Will Be Blood ever since I started buying.

Blood has been hovering around $16 for at least a few weeks, so you're safe. However, it's listed as OOP on DVDTalk's out of print page. Then again, so is Zodiac, yet it's still for sale everywhere. Probably just Paramount's goofy rotation system with titles going OOP just for a new cover.

Deep Discount's sale ends on the 20th, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's an OK price, but I'd spend the same amount of money on getting only the Connery films. And I didn't think Thunderball was that great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Off topic, anybody know any reputable sites to sell DVDS to in bulk for cash? I can't tell which of these sites I can trust.

I'd try SAMart here. I'm about to put up about 1/3 of my collection for sale there.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Why would anyone want the films individually?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Max22 posted:

It's a pretty badly cobbled-together approximation of what Richard Donner's cut would be like; you'll basically be paying 14 dollars for a special feature.

Yeah, it would have been more effective to make a feature-length documentary worked around the deleted and alternate scenes. As a whole, it works surprisingly well until the lame ending that's a rehash of the first movie - worse, it's largely constructed of reused takes and out of place stock footage.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Even better, The Twilight Zone is using new HD transfers instead of the 2004 transfers used for the Definitive Editions. I'd imagine they were perfectly fine if 1080p, but that's awesome they're re-doing from scratch just to get that extra level of quality.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The mere mention of DVNR at Sony results in bewilderment and confusion.

Why can't all studios keep such a hands-off approach on catalog titles?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/301882/lionsgate-press-release-the-third-man-and-delicatessen-blu-ray

Specs for The Third Man via Lionsgate.

Doesn't look like a total loss, but there's a major error that sums up Lionsgate for the most part.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I thought there was one coming, or what movie am I maybe thinking of? Or did something just fly over my head just now?

Sony is having it digitally re-restored at 8K from the original 65mm elements.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bambi posted:

A pretty negative review for Steamboat Bill Jr. which came out today via Kino. Though I heard a lot of the same complaints about The General and still thought it looked great, so I guess I won't know for sure until my copy arrives on Thursday.

Looks fine to me:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/steamboat_bill_jr_blu-ray.htm

There's an interview with Kino's producer Bret Wood on Doblu... it seems that The General was captured directly from a 35mm print made from the negative, while Steamboat Bill Jr. was from a print off a duplicate negative. That accounts for thicker contrast and higher grain levels. But it at least looks like the source... Kino probably could have been more generous with black levels, though.

Also looks like Fox didn't put The Fly through DVNR hell...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/the_fly_blu-ray.htm

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steamboat Bill Jr. arrived today.

Rest assured, this is another A+ Kino effort. The screen captures don't do justice to the appearance. It looks perfectly film-like in motion, no worse than The Third Man or Stagecoach.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Brief Encounter seems to be a DVNR wreck like The 39 Steps and Henry V.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

How long is the B&N sale supposed to go on?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheDigitalBits posted:

In announcement news this morning, Warner Home Video has revealed that its long-awaited Mutiny on the Bounty: 75th Anniversary Edition will street on Blu-ray Disc on 11/16 in Blu-ray book packaging. This is the original 1935 version, starring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable. Among the extras on board will be the Pitcairn Island Today featurette and a period Academy Awards newsreel.

Before you scoff, this is a terrific film. I'm surprised WB isn't pairing it with the remake, but worth a rental at least. They must have found a new film element since the DVD's transfer is kind of scratched up and hazy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Walmart has some good Blu deals. Lots of Fox $15 2-movie sets... I spotted Patton/The French Connection, Walk the Line/Butch Cassidy, Kingdom of Heaven/Master and Commander, among others.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I thought WB was over their $50 trinket boxes. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like how New World/Shout Factory and Troma are putting the majors to shame with their remasters. Not demo material, but they simply leave the source alone. It's so simple.

Watched Black Narcissus tonight... first time seeing the film and it's magnificent. Great film, beautiful photography, and the remaster is nearly perfect. I can't wait to see The Red Shoes again... just from skimming a few bits, it's flawless.

Also worth pointing out that the trailers on both discs are 1080p remastered. Nice touch - usually trailers are kept from ugly 480i masters.

• Locked thread