Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Bacon55555 posted:

Honestly, I would say keep it simple and just do best overall. If the Blade-Runner Blu-Ray is not in the top ten I will break a Blu-Ray in half.

You're probably right, though separate categories for modern movies and classics would be better since it's too hard to pick just 10 overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Modern
Blade Runner
Star Trek
Up
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Minority Report
Braveheart
Iron Man
Fallen Angels
Band of Brothers
Speed Racer

Classic
Gone with the Wind
The Wizard of Oz
Casablanca
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove
Star Trek: The Original Series
North by Northwest
The General
The Searchers
The Godfather Collection (is that going far back enough to be considered classic?)

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Atom Egoyan's Chloe is being released July 13, so if you ever wanted to see Julianne Moore and Amanda Seyfried have naked lesbian sex in glorious 1080p, here's your chance.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Word on the web is Saving Private Ryan has some syncing issues. How does a problem like this make it to store shelves? Do these studios not watch their movies before they press them to discs?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I agree that it's not a huge deal, it's just amazing to me that there should even be such a problem on such a significant release.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I think Goodfellas is a huge step up from the DVD *shrug*. The lossy audio is kind of a bummer though.

No sync issues with SPR on my PS3. It could conceivably be a defect in the disc that's causing only certain players to sync out for that brief period, but like the op states, PS3 owns.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Half the stuff on thodt's and Bambi's "classics" lists are in color.

I guess the cut-off point is roughly 1980? I probably would have put Blade Runner under classics too.

Speaking of this, why is nobody else doing it?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

When I was shopping for a new laptop a few months ago, one of my main requirements was that it have a Blu-Ray drive, obviously so I could watch my movies while traveling. Having an HDMI port is nice too so you can connect it to any HDTV on the go. The Vaio I ended up getting was about $150 more than that, but an infinitely superior machine. Never buy directly from Sony.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Hot Tub Time Machine June 29.
Greenberg July 13.

Aside from Antichrist, The Thin Red Line, and The Seven Samurai which we already knew were coming, looks like Criterion will be releasing Videodrome and The Darjeeling Limited soon as well.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The Lucas posted:

Where did you find this out?

Amazon has put up pre-order pages for all 5 titles, meaning they're all likely to come out in August/September. Gonna be a great friggin couple of months for Criterion, especially if House comes out around then too.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Doctor Thodt/Everyone,

Is there somewhere that I can get the paper sleeves that go over some of the bluray cases. Like the ones that come on Avatar, Star Trek, The Hurt Locker, and many more.

I think I saw a forum on bluray.com where people were trading them but I don't want to give up the ones I have now. I'll look some more on there, but if anyone knows of a site where I can get them I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Slipcovers? There's no website that sells them individually - you'd have to purchase them from private sellers, if there are any - and indeed there are - I've seen plenty for sale on the blu-ray.com trading forum. They're not only for trade, so you might want to dig a little deeper there - I'm sure you'll find a few for sale.

Personally I find them to be pretty pointless and wasteful. Furthermore, out of the ~400 Blu-Rays I have, maybe 1 in 8 came with a slipcover. If only every 8th title on my shelf had a slipcover, it'd look rather stupid.

The degree to which some people obsess over slipcovers is absolutely insane. People will refuse to buy certain titles without them, or buy others on the sole basis that they come with a slipcover. I've seen more than my fair share of posts where people explain how they go into a store and beg employees to just let them "have" the slipcovers off certain movies.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Lionsgate is re-releasing Rambo on July 27 with an extra 9 minutes of footage and an hour-long production diary. Stallone personally pushed for the extended cut of the film, so that's pretty sweet.

Here's confirmation that all the aforementioned Criterion titles will be out in the coming months, plus an announcement that they will also be releasing Charade around the same time.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Zuh? There is absolutely nothing wrong with Crouching Tiger or Curse of the Golden Flower or The forbidden Kingdom.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Tony Danza Claus posted:

And despite the positive reviews, Crouching Tiger looks like you're watching it through an X-ray film backlight. Everything is so whitened and kinda hazy.

I was under the impression that that's how the movie is supposed to look, to give it a sort of dreamlike/fantasy aspect, but I could be wrong.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4573

quote:

[Avatar] moved nearly three times as many units as the rest of the top 20 put together

Haha.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Agreed posted:

How was the Rocky BD collection? I was close to buying it when I saw the local Wal-Mart had it in stock but the price is a bit steep without really knowing much about it (and not being THAT big of a Rocky fan). But if it's especially good, with a high quality transfer and good special features, etc., I may nab it and the Rambo collection just to have Stallone's iconic stuff.

I think it's great. Some people give the first film a lot of flak (for its Blu-Ray transfer), but I think it looks a great deal how a low-budget mid-seventies film should look in HD. It could probably use a bit of cleaning up, but it won't happen any time soon. So if you can find it at a good price, I'd say it's worth the plunge.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The next 2 Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are strongly rumored for release in November.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

A complete box set would most likely just consist of all 8 ultimate editions bundled together. I don't know why they'd wait fr the last two movies to come out - the first 2 ultimate editions have already been released, it makes sense to stagger them a couple at a time.

Most likely Azkaban/Goblet will come out in November to coincide with the theatrical release of Hallows pt. 1, Phoenix/HBP will come out in July 2011 to coincide with Hallows pt. 2, and then the Ultimate editions of Hallows 1/2 are anyone's guess.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

bradzilla posted:

I've seen some talk here about how the old (fat) PS3 models don't do bitstreaming, meaning that it doesn't do true HD audio? And the new model slims do? And the PS3 would do the decoding and send it to the receiver? Is this why audio on most of my BDs seems to have no balance, such as the voices being low and explosions and stuff being way too loving loud. Because I have a fat PS3, and I need another BD player for the bedroom anyway. Is it worth it for true HD audio to buy a new slim? So if I do, the fat PS3 can go to the bedroom and the slim in the living room with the entertainment center.

Bitstreaming just means that your player is sending the audio to the receiver, and allowing the receiver to decode it. However, the PS3 itself is capable of decoding lossless audio (such as TrueHD), so the lack of bitstreaming technically doesn't make any noticeable difference in your audio quality. Some audiophiles just piss and moan about wanting to be able to do everything via their receivers.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Well, I guess I'm going to cancel Spartacus until it goes to to under $10. It looks exactly like the HD-DVD captures.

What the hell is going on at Universal?

Robert Harris to Universal: "Stop transferring. Stop mastering. Stop distribution."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/300533/a-few-words-about-elizabeth-in-blu-ray

quote:

Shekhar Kapur's Elizabeth was a quality film when it arrived in 1998.

Now via Universal's new Blu-ray, the direction is unprofesional, the acting by plasticized replicas of Blanchett, Rush, Gielgud and Attenborough is as stilted and unpleasant as the fake hairpieces. The audio still works, but to what avail. This was never meant to be Elizabeth: The Radio Show.

Heavily processed for grain removal, softened -- and then, of necessity, sharpened, with all of the requisite force fields and halos intact. There is no remaining fine detail whatsoever. This horrific Blu-ray should be put out of its misery.

The fate of cinematography, direction, acting and art direction in the cinema all hinge on reproduction. When quality reproduction fails, so does the film.

As I'm certain that this will not be recalled for some error or other, I believe that the best move for Universal is to halt all distribution of catalog titles. Stop transferring. Stop mastering. Stop distribution. If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.

Fail.

RAH

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Maybe this is fallout from the vault fire from a few years ago? Perhaps they lost the original unfiltered HD transfers and only have the processed masters.

Insofar as Spartacus is concerned, this is not the case. Robert Harris shared his thoughts:

quote:

Twenty years ago, under the aegis of Universal’s Tom Pollack, and with the cooperation and support of both Kirk Douglas and Stanley Kubrick, we spent a year reconstructing and restoring Spartacus from extant film elements. The process was difficult, tedious, and expensive. Work was performed virtually on a shot by shot basis.

An HD master was created from our 65mm interpositive some ten years ago. AFAIK it has previously been used for all SD as well as HD releases of Spartacus, I am told that the master was returned to HTV for clean-up and removal of unwanted noise and grain.

HTV, which performed meticulous dirt and grain removal on another large format production, Franklin J. Shaffner’s brilliant 1970 Academy Award winner Patton, has been brought back to perform similar duties with Mr. Kubrick’s Spartacus. Only now, with newer, next gen software, the final results, both based upon the original transfers and the newer software are different.

Many people were thrilled with the look and overall textures of Patton, which was smoother than a baby’s bottom, and to give it proper credit, looked beautiful on smaller screens.

Where are we now?

Where before, we had heavy noise as captured by the HD transfer, we now have something akin to the surface of a quiet pond in which not even the smallest ripple distorts the surface. Make no mistake, the video noise inherent in the HD master was a problem. The film element upon which the master was based had the normal grain attributes of large format separation masters, which are nominal. No grain reduction was necessary.

The information that I received is that HTV noted the problems, and instituted a fix based upon their newest generation noise and grain reduction software.

After doing a comparison of the HD vs. the new Blu-ray, here’s what I’m seeing:

The video noise, inherent in the HD master is gone. That’s a good thing, but keep in mind that it should never have been there to begin with. In removing the noise, all grain is also gone, replaced by what appears to be a pleasant sheen of artificial film grain.

All of the detail captured by Academy Award winning cinematographer Russell Metty’s meticulous large format Technirama camera, for which he won an Academy Award for Best Color Cinematography, is unfortunately also gone.

All high frequency information has been lost, and with it all of the detail in the image.

In its place the newly softened image has been electronically sharpened. We now have a halos. Contrast has been boosted to make the image appear sharper than it is, but this is perceived as opposed to actual sharpness. Fortunately, possibly based upon the new software, we have not gone plastic.

During the restoration of Spartacus, we went through numerous tests to find the optics that could reproduce the immense amount of detail found in the original elements. I recall one test that we screened in the Hitchcock Theater at Universal. The image quality wasn’t quite there. It was slightly soft. When I mentioned that detail was missing in the wood that surrounded the gladiator’s arena, one of the gentlemen from the post house responded “But you can see the wood grain.” I distinctly remember getting an elbow in the ribs at that moment from our tech assistant, Mike Hyatt. He knew where this was going. What we needed to properly represent Mr. Kubrick’s film was not the ability to see the wood grain, but rather to see the insects eating their way through the wood grain. Within two weeks an optical system was put in place that enabled us to reproduce the information as exposed to the original elements.

In Universal’s new Blu-ray release of Stanley Kubrick’s Spartacus, you can almost see the wood grain, but now that grain is covered in electronic enhancement, halos and unnecessary contrast.

The pity is that Spartacus, like Out of Africa and Elizabeth makes Blu-ray appear to be something that it is not – a flawed technological system for viewing motion pictures in home theaters. I was hopeful that the lessons learned with the Blu-ray releases of Patton, The Longest Day and Gangs of New York might have been taken to heart.

They have not.

Where Fox and Disney have been releasing gorgeous Blu-rays of their catalog titles, and Disney recently released a fully corrected version of Gangs, it is now Universal that is placing data of less than stellar quality in the holding container that is Blu-ray. This potentially damages the reputation of the Blu-ray system, while it absolutely damages the concept that is the “art” of cinema, and proper representation of the what was created by the filmmakers. Where we often have to make compromises between art and commerce, with this Blu-ray of Spartacus there appears to be no compromise -- only the resolute purity of commerce.

There will be many people who will love the Blu-ray of Spartacus, especially on smaller screens. I’ll not get into color, densities, black levels or audio because any discussion of those attributes is irrelevant.

There is no problem with the film elements held on Spartacus. There is a 65mm interpositive with virtually all of the basic color timing and densities intact. There are two audio masters. One which replicates the original 6-track 70mm Todd-AO mix, and another, which updates it for those theaters, equipped at the time of the restoration with “baby booms.” It is the Todd-AO mix that properly represents the wide proscenium mix for properly spacial dialogue.

A return to the 65mm IP would not be an extremely expensive undertaking, especially based upon the importance of the film, and of potential worldwide income. The pity is that whatever entity is controlling the purse strings is unable to recognize that fact.

Here we have an example of great classic cinema. Written, produced, photographed, edited and scored by some of the finest talent in the industry. Spartacus is a huge, epic film about the enduring spirit of mankind and the concept of freedom.

It has been turned, on this Blu-ray, into a sideshow pipsqueak, an ugly and unfortunate bit of home video fodder, which would be far better suited to VHS.

I would suggest a recall. Spartacus on Blu-ray could have been as Mr. Kubrick wished it to be – a heroic and majestic piece of epic entertainment. With a simple new image harvest, Spartacus could be a piece of brilliant Blu-ray software.

As it is, Spartacus receives an absolute and undeniable…

Fail.

RAH

:drat:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Humanoids from the Deep 8/3
Evil Dead 8/31

Bambi fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 15, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Apologies if this has come up before, but what's a good website I can use to catalogue all my my Blu-Rays (that also has info for import titles and exclusive releases and such)?

Other than Blu-Ray.com, which just sucks all around.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Ahaha why am I not surprised that you just happened to have one lying around.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Pretty sure nobody at Oscilloscope has ever actually seen a Blu-Ray before. I mean really, is all of this necessary? A regular blue case will do just fine.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

It still sucks. The only other individual movie I have out of hundreds that doesn't come in a normal case (other than digibooks) is Close Encounters, and that was released in 2007 so at least there's an excuse. I guess it's a small gripe in the grand scheme of things though, especially considering the caliber of the movie.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

So, a film by the name of Outlander came out on Blu-Ray today. I had never heard of it before, but it appears to star James Caviezel as an alien who crash-lands on earth and helps a bunch of vikings kill another alien. Now, this seems like a pretty high concept to me, but reviews are mixed: 39% on RottenTomatoes, 6.4 on imdb. What do you say, goons? A fun little romp, or just more trash?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

WB/BBC are releasing Wonders of the Solar System on 9/7, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is getting a new release on 7/27. The only differences seem to be that the new disc has an additional commentary track and a different audio codec (TrueHD versus uncompressed PCM - weird decision).

e: releaselists is showing an 8/24 release for Shogun Assassin

Bambi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 19, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

qbert posted:

So Crouching Tiger is finally being released as a stand alone? I've been waiting for quite a while to own it on blu.

It was already released as a standalone a couple of months ago, which makes this new release a bit puzzling.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Huh, that's really weird. They must have removed it, because I definitely bought it directly from Amazon for $18 last month. Blu-Ray.com says the release date was March 23.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Kick-rear end 8/3

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

More info on the new Predator BD:

quote:

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu-ray Special Features: (Catalog #2268509)
* ALL-NEW Digital Restoration of Predator
* ALL-NEW Sneak Peak at Predators
* ALL-NEW “Evolution of the Species: Hunters of Extreme Perfection” Featurette
* Feature-Length Audio Commentary by John McTiernan
* Text Commentary by Historian Eric Lichtensfeld
* “If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It” Making-Of Documentary
* “Inside The Predator” Documentary
* Special Effects Featurettes
* Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
* Short Takes
* Theatrical Trailers
* Photo Galleries
* Predator Profile

PREDATOR: ULTIMATE HUNTER EDITION BLU-RAY
Street Date: June 29, 2010
Prebook Date: June 2, 2010
Screen Format: Widescreen - 1.85:1
Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, English 4.0 Dolby Surround, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and French 5.1 DTS
Subtitles: English/French/Spanish
U.S. Rating: R
Total Run Time: 108 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes

:hellyeah:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Per releaselists, Anchorman is rumored for late August.

This has been a drat good month for Westerns...Hang 'Em High and The Magnificent Seven a couple weeks ago, Django and Stagecoach today, and The Dollars Trilogy next week.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

God drat, the next few months are looking expensive.

June
Life
War of the Worlds
Bad Boys
Man With No Name Trilogy
Shutter Island
Caddyshack
Happy Together
The Illusionist
Showgirls (um gently caress yes I am getting this)
Youth in Revolt
Mystery Train
The Red Desert
Close-Up
Entourage
Hung
A Star is Born
Death Race 2000
Hot Tub Time Machine
Predator Ultimate Hunter Edition
The Crazies
The Leopard
Everlasting Moments
Versus
Puppermaster
Uncle Sam
Tromeo and Juliet
The White Ribbon
A Prophet (UK)
Tora! Tora! Tora! (UK)
Total Recall remaster (UK)
Micmacs (UK)
Solomon Kane (UK)

July
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
A Single Man
Jason and the Argonauts
Steamboat Bill Jr.
Chloe
In Bruges
Insomnia
Greenberg
The Red Shoes
Black Narcissus
Mother
Leaves of Grass
The Losers
Rambo Extended Cut
The Prowler
Ip Man
The Secret of the Grain
Home
Weekend at Bernie's (UK)
Funny Games (UK)
Bubba Ho-Tep (UK)
I Love You Phillip Morris (UK)
Paranoiac (UK)
Tenebrae (UK)

August
Escape from New York
Blood Simple
Kalifornia
Piranha
James and the Giant Peach
The Breakfast Club
Road to Perdition
Pandora and the Flying Dutchman
Elvis on Tour
Kick-rear end
Crumb
In the Shadow of the Moon
Ace Ventura
Dexter season 4
Black Orpheus
Hamlet
Red Riding Trilogy
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
Time Bandits
Lost season 6
The Long Good Friday
Mona Lisa
Withnail and I
Simpsons season 13
Shogun Assassin
Sons of Anarchy season 2
Psycho (UK)
Deep Red (UK)
Phenomena (UK)

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Bull Durham (one of the four August 3rd catalog titles announced by MGM) is already available as a Best Buy exclusive. The problem? It's a godawful MPEG-2 encode, which means the transfer was probably done 2-3 years ago and has just been sitting on a shelf somewhere. On the one hand it's no big deal since who the hell cares about Bull Durham, but on the other hand it does not foreshadow well for Blood Simple, Escape from New York and Kalifornia.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

loving MGM is the worst. Jesus Christ.

How the hell are they even still releasing Blu-Rays in their current condition? Does Fox distribute them all? It's weird because I watched A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More today, and they both looked pretty drat good. Their quality control is all over the map.

Anyway...borrowing doctorthodt's format:

Darkman reviewed
Flash Gordon reviewed
City of the Living Dead reviewed x2

Also, Sony will be releasing The Runaways on July 20. Pretty sure this movie never even got a theatrical release here? Oh well, still psyched - I've heard some great things.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I like how Bad Boys came out before Bad Boys 2 even though Sony has been using footage of the sequel in their Blu-Ray promo reel for years now.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I only saw one episode of Life while it was airing and it was narrated by Oprah, so I can't attest to that, but everything I've heard says it's on par with Planet Earth, if not better.

I just got done watching The Wolfman - holy crap, what an awesome take on a classic monster tale. I watched the director's cut and hardly noticed any of the pacing problems people complained about with the theatrical cut (which I never saw). Flawless PQ/AQ and a nice plethora of extras too (though sadly no commentary). Highly recommended.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Looks like Fox took a minor dump on The Illusionist which is due this coming Tuesday. It's a barebones BD-25 - there are special features, but only on the included DVD copy of the movie. There are also no subtitles on the Blu-Ray :confused:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

It sounds like you got a disc that's encoded at 1080i50 (25fps as opposed to the normal 24). So it likely is indeed the censored version, and the 25fps speedup is accounting for that extra 3 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Agreed posted:

He's thinking that the 83 minute version NTSC ends up being 78 minutes PAL. I'm not sure if he's right, just trying to help clarify what they said.

No, that's not what I said. Doctor thodt is right. I was confused, and wrong.

• Locked thread