Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
For anyone who's into stupid Asian bullshit, Best Buy is getting 3 exclusive releases from Dragon Dynasty tomorrow: Kill Zone, Tai Chi Master and Legend of the Black Scorpion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Richard Kelly tweeted this a few days ago:

quote:

Just recorded an interview for the upcoming MULHOLLAND DRIVE Blu-ray :) Thanks to @studiocanal for including me!

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Picnic at Hanging Rock 7/26 (UK)
Cemetery Junction 8/17
Unleashed 9/14
The Secret of Kells 10/5

Some Predator screenshot comparisons:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/1947478-post146.html

Also:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Anchorman 8/31

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

It was the last thread :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2061855&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=332#post376232522

I imagine the Sony release will be equally beautiful, if not even superior to the UK version.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

God help me, I caved and bought a modified Oppo BDP-83. I was browsing Amazon France and despairing that I couldn't buy movies like Bright Star and A Very Long Engagement, so my solution? Spend $500 on a new Blu-Ray player, so I can then spend hundreds of more dollars on these damned things :buddy:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Looks like my namesake will be the next Disney title, tentatively planned for 2011.

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/beauty/diamond.html

quote:

Coming in 2011: Bambi Diamond Edition!

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Oh hey look, a terrific new release that went virtually unnoticed.

I guess that's what happens when you come out on the same day as a powerhouse like The Book of Eli :suicide:

Seriously though, go buy this brilliant and beautiful film. It's $20 at Best Buy and available in-store, or $21.49 at Amazon.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I've never seen the Donner cut of Superman II. It's on sale at Amazon right now for $14 - worth it, or no?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Can somebody explain to me why The White Ribbon (out this coming Tuesday) is 35 loving dollars on Amazon? I mean, I know Sony Pictures Classics stuff usually commands a high price, but I've never seen one quite this high, especially just before the release.

It sucks because this is a title I definitely want to have in my hands day 1, and the cheapest option right now is looking like $30 at Best Buy :sigh:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I get that SPC titles have high prices because they have limited pressings because they get low sales, but still - thirty-five dollars. Most of their other movies are hovering around $25, which I would be totally cool with paying for this release.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

I think they're DVD

Also thodt, you can't just grab Best Buy shelves like that bro. :colbert:

I have Atlantic shelves from Best Buy and they're actually pretty decent. Easy to assemble, no sagging or buckling, and they keep everything nice and orderly-looking as you can see above. For the price I haven't been able to find anything better for a high-volume collection.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The saddest part of that review:

quote:

I know I'm going to get hate mail, but I can't conscionably give this transfer any higher than a 2/5.

Why do people like that exist :saddowns:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Topper Harley posted:

Predator's user rating on that site is already a 5 vs the reviewer's 2.5. The hell?

Blu-Ray.com's userbase is full of slobbering loving idiots who think that grain is the devil's dandruff. If you're brave enough to venture into the thread there for this release, you'll find a terrifying number of people singing the praises of the scrubbed, waxy picture.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The Killer Inside Me 9/28
The Human Centipede 10/5
Fantasia/Fantasia 200 12/7

I watched The White Ribbon last night. It is indeed on par with the best-looking Blu-Rays out there.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

ProfessorClumsy posted:

And what exactly does that mean?

They've been "in the works" since the inception of the format but won't actually be released until the devil is spotted wearing a parka.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

A pretty negative review for Steamboat Bill Jr. which came out today via Kino. Though I heard a lot of the same complaints about The General and still thought it looked great, so I guess I won't know for sure until my copy arrives on Thursday.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Yeah, watched mine last night and got the same impression.

Insomnia reviewed
Paranoiac reviewed

The Edge of the World (UK) Aug. 23
The Innocents (UK) Aug. 23
Loving Memory (UK) Aug. 23
A Zed and Two Noughts (UK) Aug. 23
Macgruber Sept. 7
Modern Family Season 1 Sept. 21
The Killer Inside Me Sept. 28
Dollhouse Season 2 Oct. 12

Blood Simple (initially due Aug. 3) has been delayed until further notice.

A French distributor is releasing three Borzage silents later this year: 7th Heaven, Street Angel and Lucky Star

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

:words:

There's plenty of good stuff coming out just this month - most if not all will be region B, I think.

July 12
Bubba Ho-Tep

July 19
Early Summer
Tokyo Story

July 26
Paranoiac
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Le Planete Sauvage
Tenebre
Vengeance is Mine
Y tu Mama Tambien

As for stuff that's already available:

Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Caligula (if you're getting Salo, you might as loving well get Caligula :D)
Candy
Hamburger Hill
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Solomon Kane
Suspiria
Thirst
Vengeance (Johnny To)

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

Sweet. I'll just have to make sure all the titles I want are at a store nearby and pickup whatever remains online. Thanks.

That, or your store can special order stuff for you. Typically takes about 3 days for titles to arrive at the store. That way you can still get the coupon savings. On Friday I had my store order all the titles I want that they didn't already have, and they just got them all in today. Just renewed my membership and will be picking up 8 Blu-Rays and about a dozen DVD's in all :dance:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

From what I'm reading, they may indeed contain the extended cuts. People are just assuming they won't because the specs listed over at Blu-Ray.com don't explicitly state that they will be included, but that doesn't mean they won't be.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

So it's coming out the same day as Back to the Future? drat.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Dunno if anyone's been keeping up with Masters of Cinema lately, but this is their lineup for the next couple of months:

August 2

August 23

September

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

FYI, region coding on the MoC titles is as follows:

Region B-locked
The Burmese Harp
Fantastic Planet
Vengeance is Mine

Region Free
The World

Unknown (they were just announced today)
Make Way For Tomorrow
Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

Fun fact: The Masters of Cinema division at Eureka Entertainment consists of a whopping 3 employees. Really makes you admire the fact that they can release 4 Blu-Rays in a single month.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Miramax has finally been sold. I'll take that Pulp Fiction Blu-Ray now please :)

edit: a post from Charles de Lauzirika at HomeTheaterForum:

quote:

Ridley Scott personally supervised and approved the new master. I know because I was there with him at each session. He's very happy with the new "Gladiator" master. As he is with the new "Alien" master, by the way.
So, there it is. Alien and Gladiator re-master are Ridley-approved :thumbsup:

Bambi fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 30, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I'll still get James and the Giant Peach. It doesn't look horrible (I imagine some of the problems are due to the source material), and my nostalgic feelings for the film are too strong to pass it up. Plus, Disney is doing their usual $10 coupon dealie.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/james-coupon?cmp=dmov_dmr_emc_jamesupgrade_wdshe
Enter 717951009388 to get the coupon.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Welp, Dark Knight is definitely one of the best, so you lucked out there.

Most videophiles would actually dispute this. While it isn't "one of the worst transfers ever" as many claim, it's definitely one of the worst transfers that's widely held to be a good one. The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray is average at best. The scenes filmed with IMAX cameras are absolutely jaw-dropping, but everything else is rather soft and plagued by ostensible digital noise reduction and edge enhancement. It's like Gladiator in that you can really see the difference between the few great-looking shots and everything else when it transitions back and forth between them, and once you see it you can't unsee it.

Plenty of people will tell you that it looks fine to their eyes, and that's great, more power to them - I wish everything always looked perfect to me too and I never had any complaints about anything either. But it's kind of impossible to argue that this is how TDK is supposed to look. This guy explains it more succinctly than I can:

quote:

The Dark Knight was scanned from a 35mm InterPositive at 4K to make the IMAX print, then the DMR processing which is a grain reduction and sharpening tool was applied, then it was recorded back out to an IMAX negative for creation of the IMAX prints and it is very likely this print was used for the Blu Ray edition.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Getting back to this...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I figure this is the best thread to ask.

I just got a PS3, and it is my first Blu-Ray player.

What Blus do you fellow movie nerds recommend to help me get my collection started. I currently own one, The Dark Knight (it was on sale at Wal-Mart, and I love the movie, so it was a no-brainer)

As a rule of thumb, anything released by Sony is pretty much guaranteed to be worth owning (at least in terms of picture and audio quality). As the inventors of the format they seem to be the only major studio we can rely on to do Blu-Ray *correctly* just about 100% of the time (they had a few hiccups in the early days, but everything they release now is fantastic). The same can be said of Criterion, and usually Disney and WB as well (any "classic" title handled by WB is almost automatically going to be great - they haven't screwed one up yet as far as I know).

Very few studios screw up new/recent releases, so if you're looking to get a movie that was in theaters sometime the last decade, chances are it's a safe buy - but it's always best to check reviews and even ask this thread first anyway.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Harlock posted:

If you want to exchange your Gladiator BD:

Just mail Disc #1 (only Disc #1) in an envelope with your name, address, and phone number inside to:

PHE MKT
c/o Deluxe Media Management
PO Box 801464
Valencia, CA
91380-1464

So where does the serial number come in?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the info!

DVDBeaver reviews for A Prophet and The Ghost Writer.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Fuckin lolling at how many people on blu-ray.com refuse to exchange their Gladiator discs because they're pleased as punch with what they have now and refuse to believe it has been improved in any way/shape/form.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Winter's Bone 10/26
Tremors 11/9

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The Scream Trilogy is coming out this coming Tuesday in Canada. It's 1080i with no extras as is the custom with Alliance, but considering we're not likely to get it in the United States for a long-rear end time, it may be worth importing (CDPlus.com has it for a mere $25). They'll be a step up from the DVD's no matter what.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Harlock posted:

Is this a new transfer? I haven't heard such stellar things for the Blu Ray before.

It's new. The consensus seems to be that it's vastly better/more accurate than the UK Blu-Ray (which is believed to be an upscale), and probably as good as the film is ever likely to look due to issues with the source elements.

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Since they are currently working on Scream 4 I would wait until after that comes out and see if they release a box set.

Scream 1-3 are Miramax properties which aren't getting jack poo poo for releases until the new owners work out a home video distribution deal. Don't hold your breath.

Robocop Trilogy officially announced for October 5.

The Bridge on the River Kwai may come out in late September - much earlier than originally expected.

The Sopranos Season 2 is rumored for an October release.

In the UK, Optimum is releasing Nausicaa Valley of the Wind, Ong Bak 3 and a Guillermo del Toro box set that includes The Devil’s Backbone, Cronos and Pan's Labyrinth all in October.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Blind-bought A Prophet and watched last night. God drat, what a movie. One of the best-looking BD's I own too.

The Girl Who Played With Fire 10/26

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Region A Time Bandits is not very good.

:(

Boooo. That review made me aware of the fact that there's a pretty good import Blu-Ray for the UK though, so cheers! Good thing I have a region free player now :D

Surprise surprise, the Toy Story 3 cover art is just a hodgepodge of the actors' faces :rolleyes:

It's up for pre-order now but you should probably wait since there will be the inevitable slew of great deals that comes with new Pixar titles.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

It's probably Lowry Digital... they processed Avatar for IMAX. If they worked on Aliens, there's little to worry about. They have the best noise reduction system in the world.

Lowry Digital did the Terminator 2 Skynet Edition for Lionsgate, no?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As I don't really understand Regions and such, if I were to buy this, would I be able to play it on my PS3, or is that locked or something?

Most players sold in the US (including the PS3) are Region A players, which means they can only play region A and region free BD's.

Region free players (capable of playing any region locked BD) tend to be expensive and a sort of specialty item; not to mention many of them need to be modified in order to be region free - so if you own one, chances are you would know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

Blair Witch - $9.99
Hard Candy - $9.99
High Tension - Unknown at this time. Most likely $9.99
Secretary - Unknown at this time. Most likely $9.99
Bad Lieutenant - Unknown at this time. Most likely $9.99
Anchorman - $20

6 great movies for $70? I'm in.

RichterIX posted:

I wonder how the Blair Witch BD will turn out. Wasn't it shot on 16mm and, like, consumer-grade video? The 16mm parts might benefit, but I guess at $9.99 it's hard to complain since I don't already own it.

I believe most of it was shot on Hi-8, so I expect it to look somewhat similar to 28 Days Later.

• Locked thread