Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Man, Saving Private Ryan would be the best bluray I own if not for the audio syncing. I'd probably ever have even noticed without you guys, but now I can't unsee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Tony Danza Claus posted:

As far as DO NOT BUY list, a lot of stuff is really subjective and all those nice words meaning "people are wrong", but there's pretty much a universal hatred for three movies: 28 Days Later, Patton, and the original release of Full Metal Jacket (the white cover with the helmet on it).

I have 2/3 :suicide:

At least my Full Metal Jacket is the new one.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

spe posted:

Is there any point in investing in a Blu-Ray player/PS3 if my tv is only 720p?

For sure. 720p is still way better than 480, and the difference between 720p and 1080i/p is almost negligible on screens under 40" or so.

Honestly, I think the big hardware COs kinda hosed up by marketing 1080p specifically as hard as they did. I had to ask the same thing you did, myself.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Anyone know if the Dollars trilogy set's The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly coming out on 6/1 is a different transfer, or the same disc that's been out for a while?

mikul posted:

Has there been any word on a Saving Private Ryan recall? I seem to recall reading about an audio sync issue and it's just been moved out of my Amazon cart to my saved items list with a note to say it's no longer available from the seller.

I know Amazon CS told me they were going to email me when Paramount had a plan to get folks new discs.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 11, 2010

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Wait, are they loving releasing The Pacific in parts?! :psypop:

Wait, you mean the various discs are being split up? Link?

Actually I think that'd be pretty cool if they only released Sledge's arc, seeing that that's the good part.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Saving Private Ryan's transfer is fantastic, and I don't know why the hell people want to see it "Pattonized". It's supposed to look a little grainy, dammit, and it's just enough to make the movie look filmlike - it doesn't look like Public Enemies or something. The only thing I don't like is that all that detail makes it really obvious there was a dummy involved in that scene with the 40mm cannon shooting guys off that Tiger, ha ha.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 15, 2010

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I thought I was the only one who didn't hate that movie, Speilbergy ending aside. More Tom Cruise backlash?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

So I got my new Saving Private Ryan in the mail yesterday... anyone else try theirs? Is it fixed?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Hunterhr posted:

So the picture in picture keeps going for 20 minutes after the episode ends? :v:

I was gonna say, I'm not really that interested unless it includes extended cuts. The show needed way more time.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

hellll yes, love me some Bogart

(also the little treasure of the sierra madre dance)

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Ein Bear posted:

I kind of want to see the prequels in HD... I'm morbidly curious to see how lovely all that CGI will look.

I can't see how it would possibly work, seeing that all that poo poo's way blurrier than it should be.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I saw the Thin Red Line like 11 years ago and it was too slow for me, but I was a stoopid kid and everything. The cast is absurd and the videophile in me wants to see that transfer so drat bad, should I go ahead and buy it? Is it something I'm way more likely to appreciate as an adult, or is my opinion unlikely to change?

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 15, 2010

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Aliens owns so loving hard on bluray, good lord

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I wonder how many Prequel sets they'll sell? 4?

e:

quote:

With the new 2004 SE existing partly to link the six films, this was indeed the case as the original trilogy was lowered in resolution to that of the first three episodes. Ironically, as Lucas moved into more "high tech" digital arenas, the quality of the image slowly declined, going from a 35mm original, to a partly-2K 1997 SE and then a fully-1080p 2004 SE. According to Videography, the negs were scanned on a Cintel C-Reality telecine, at 1920x1080 resolution, in 4:4:4 RGB, recorded to Sony SR tape. [37]

Jorge Lucaaaaaasss :argh:

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Is Robocop worth buying for $10 if I don't already have the DVD? There isn't some fancy-rear end version coming out in like a month, is there?

• Locked thread