Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As far as DO NOT BUY list, a lot of stuff is really subjective and all those nice words meaning "people are wrong", but there's pretty much a universal hatred for three movies: 28 Days Later, Patton, and the original release of Full Metal Jacket (the white cover with the helmet on it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

John Dough posted:

Also House of Flying Daggers. Did they just copy the DVD to a Bluray disc and shoved it out the door? It looks absolutely terrible.

It's not exactly the most hated, but a lot of the contemporary kung fu flicks (Daggers, Hero, Iron Monkey, Forbidden Kingdom, Golden Flower, Crouching Tiger) all had far-less-than-stellar transfers, usually scoring maybe a 2 or 2.5 on highdefdigest. And I've seen most of those (netflix) and yeah, they don't exactly warrant being called blu-rays.

And after careful consideration, Tony's Must Owns: (ranked by best HD picture quality, not film quality)

2001: A Space Odyssey
(EVERY Pixar movie, especially Wall-E)
Blade Runner
Hulk
Speed Racer
Black Snake Moan
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
The Dark Knight
Band of Brothers
Doomsday
Drag Me to Hell
The Pirates trilogy

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

BajaBurrito posted:

Yeah, what the hell - didn't we have this exact same conversation in the last thread? :psyduck:

Yep. I do this every time. :ughh:

Forbidden Kingdom and Golden Flower are totally fine. Replace them with Iron Monkey.

And despite the positive reviews, Crouching Tiger looks like you're watching it through an X-ray film backlight. Everything is so whitened and kinda hazy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Captain Charisma posted:

It's been pretty much knocked down from the list since it was first released, but the first Blu-Ray to truly blow me away was No Country For Old Men. The colors and detail were ridiculous.

It's still a perfect example of a gorgeous bluray.

It's just, you know, the whole movie is shots of the sandblasted Texas hellscape. Compared to how colorful Avatar or the Pixar movies are, or how shockingly beautiful some of the movies from the 1930-60's have been, it takes a backseat to them.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bambi posted:

I was under the impression that that's how the movie is supposed to look, to give it a sort of dreamlike/fantasy aspect, but I could be wrong.

You'd think so for the dessert scenes and the teahouse fights and such where there's lots of white backgrounds, clouds, or brightly lit windows.

But the night scenes and especially the bamboo forest look really out of whack compared to the DVD (which I must have seen 20 times by now for comparison).

It doesn't really ruin it, and it's probably still worth owning, it's just kind of a strange effect, like the backlight on your laptop being set way too high.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
More importantly, dude, PS3 games. :circlefap:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

BitterAvatar posted:

Oh god what's wrong with Gladiator? I didn't even realize it had issues.

Rampant historical inaccuracies.
:goonsay:

Also, Russell Crowe. :smug:

So what do I do about Saving Private Ryan if I lost my receipt?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
War of the Worlds is terrible. The story is terrible. The Spielberg Precocious Kid (tm) is terrible. The subplots are terrible. The ending is unbelievably, shockingly terrible.

But yeah, the tripod horn is like 800,000 kinds of awesome. There's like 3 minutes of that movie where it's the best movie ever (the cruise ship). Everything else is just so loving horrible.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Criminal Minded posted:

And Top Gun Tom Cruise's best movie? :geno:

Top Gun owns.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, however, does not own. I kinda liked it a little bit when I first saw it, but after repeat viewings it's just terrible. Every gigantic flaw with it becomes more and more obvious every time I see it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Agreed posted:

What the hell, are they basically copying the Apatow formula as far as casting goes?

What is that movie? :psyduck:

God I wish I were you and didn't see the trailer for this turd 380 times a day while it was out.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Why didn't anyone tell me DisneyNature: Earth was loving incredible?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Disney Nature is doing a documentary about large kitties in Africa, next year. :)

I missed Oceans (I figured theaters would be packed with kids, naturally) and so I can't wait for the Bluray.

If there's one thing I'm guaranteed to buy it's well produced documentaries about aquatic poo poo.

Captain Charisma posted:

Isn't Earth just a chopped up version of Planet Earth for kids?

Sort of. It's the same places and events recorded for Planet Earth, but it's extended and different shots. Also, James Earl Jones doing a hilarious narration.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 25, 2010

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheSwami posted:

Yes!! I can't wait to see this classic lovable scene in 1080p!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEFydbOFoU8

:suicide:

You're loving shittin' me, right? This is from the gag reel titled "what we would have done if we were making a terrible movie", right?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Captain Charisma posted:

Why why why why why do these companies add these loving cheap trinkets that will be never used?

I don't even like Lost, too

Did you ever see the Batarang trinket for the Batman: Arkham Asylum special edition? It's permanently attached to the display stand. $40 more than the regular version for that. It was hilarious when everyone got their copies and opened it up to discover that and raged up and down the internet over it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Egbert Souse posted:

At least studios spare the ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION on films that would be inappropriate like Last Tango in Paris or Un Chien Andalou.

The former would include a free Land O'Lakes coupon...

Irreversible comes with a tiny fire extinguisher.

And how could I forget the Casablanca box set? What a useless piece of crap that was.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

qbert posted:

Are you loving serious?

That's the most tasteless trinket I've ever heard.

I wonder if The Accused comes with a miniature pinball machine.

Joking. (about hypothetical awful trinkets)

The special edition of Showgirls includes a sample packet of dog food.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Lucas posted:

Continue to wait. MGM has so much debt that no one wants to touch them.

God drat it, I'm not getting the rest of my Bond blurays am I?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheScott2K posted:

The only release was non-anamorphic...it and True Lies can hang out and talk about how much they got shat on during the DVD era while everything else got like 3 releases.

The Cable Guy, True Lies, Poltergeist, Gremlins 2, and for a LONG time the Ninja Turtles movie, Batman (Tim Burton), and the Friday the 13th movies.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Egbert Souse posted:

Gremlins 2 only had one edition and it's 16x9. Batman was one of the first DVDs and even that edition was 16x9.

Well they were still lovely DVDs. :colbert:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RichterIX posted:

Has anyone seen either of the Michael Keaton Batman movies on BD? I have a gift card at Best Buy where they're $20 apiece, but I'm having a hard time deciding based on dvdbeaver whether they're worth the upgrade or not from the Special Edition DVDs.

I watch them both regularly.

They're beautiful in motion.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Volcasarus ReX posted:

For example Sin City is one that best buy is still selling for 29.99

Not this week. It's $14.99. :woop:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Lucas posted:

The Hangover

Domestic Total Gross: $277,322,503

I saw it on a whim because I was bored one day and figured a mediocre comedy would kill some time. It delivered on being both mediocre and killing time.

Now you're telling me it made THAT much money? Jesus Christ!

And bravo to the makers of that cover art. You managed to take a comedy with a budget and semi-name actors and make it look like one of those super-duper cheap piece of poo poo American Pie knock-offs. :golfclap:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Lucas posted:

#1 R Rated comedy of all time. People wanna jump on that bandwagon.

How, though? Did I sleep through Hangover Fever? I don't remember anyone giving a poo poo about that movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bad movie knight posted:

Pretty sure you slept through it. The Hangover was the breakout hit of 2009.

No joke, if you asked me guess its box office just minutes ago, I probably would have said "60 million, maybe".

That's insane. It's not even a sequel or celebrity-packed. My mind is blown.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

I drove an extra 15 minutes to go to the Best Buy in hicktown, under the assumption that nobody there would know or want Moon.

I was correct.

Same here. :hfive:

This was on release date, though. The other copy still lives there.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Going back a few weeks, I forgot how bleak War of the Worlds is.

As for the bluray, the sound is incredible. The picture goes back and forth between amazing and way-too-much-Spielberg-grain. There's a shot in the backyard before the aliens that looks like it was archive footage from the 20's.

I'm usually not one to bitch about grain, but it's off the charts in this movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
2 weeks later my Life bluray has arrived from Barnes and Noble.

First, it looks 10 times better than the Discovery HD broadcast, which itself was pretty. Second, I was one of very few, if not the only, person in the TVIV thread who didn't necessarily mind Oprah's narration, but Mother of Christ, I could listen to David Attenborough read tax law and I'd be on the edge of my seat with childlike wonder.

What I'm saying is, this is the best $40 you'll ever spend on a bluray. And it's a 4-disc set, 10 hours long.

On a related note, I also bought IMAX Blue Planet (at 40 minutes long for $25). Not very good. :( However, it includes "The Dream is Alive" which was the movie I saw at the NASA museum in Huntsville, AL a million years ago when I was a kid. And it is the most 80's thing ever. I loved it.

So if Blue Planet is the flagship IMAX documentary, I'm kind of wary of the quality of the rest. Especially at those prices.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jay Dub posted:

I just saw an ad on TV promoting the Avatar blu-ray. "Available for a limited time"

Why, exactly? Are they pulling the bare-bones edition from shelves once the super-ginormo edition arrives, or is James Cameron putting it in his own private Disney-esque vault?

It's a Fox release, so I would say "they're going to pull it, then rerelease it without any features at the same price and in shittier packaging."

Except, there are no features.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Maybe they can give it the Predator remastering treatment!

Fox is seriously the worst company.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I don't get this Predator disc as they had been doing so well ever since Patton and the resulting backlash. Paramount and Universal are riding so high atop the hate wave when it comes to lovely catalog titles that people had almost finally gotten over their fixation on WB and had completely forgotten about being wary with Fox titles. And now Fox has to go and open old wounds again with this loving waxjob.

I'm not sure which I'm more offended by - Spartacus where Universal was ever so careful to put a layer of fake grain over everything so poo poo still looked slightly textured, or this new Predator where they didn't even give half a gently caress and left some of the smeariest, smoothest, most unnatural looking DNR ever.

I wish every company was like Disney and went completely above and beyond with every effort. I seriously have such a huge nerd-boner for everything Disney releases.

Sony is hit or miss, but almost always above average.

Warner is still good at what Warner does, which is slamming out a catalog title as fast as possible and then double-dipping the right way, which is by releasing an amazing final product.

With Fox, it's usually the third time is the charm with their releases (see: the Alien, Predator, Independence Day and Die Hard DVDs.)

Universal just does not give a poo poo unless it's a guaranteed cash cow.

Paramount I don't even usually bother buying just because most every release since the dawn of DVD has been pure poo poo.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I don't know, Disney isn't really doing great in my book.

I was thinking more along the lines of the animated Disney and especially Pixar movies, where every release is a 5-star picture, tons of features, nice packaging, and the DVD+Digital Copy bonus.

And on top of all that they're priced cheap, and almost always have those $10 coupons direct from Disney on release week.

No one else goes to that much effort to make customers happy.

As for the lack of catalog titles, it's perfectly acceptable with me if every catalog release continues to be this high in quality.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I sold my old Predator Bluray when this was announced.

:suicide:

Oh well, it's not like I haven't sextuple-dipped before. (Bond movies :argh: )

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Captain Charisma posted:

I bet Fox has a DNR free master they're sitting on, waiting to unleash.

Predator: Thrill of the Hunt Edition, coming August 2011.

Predator: If it Bleeds, We Can Kill It Edition, July 2012

Predator: Slack-jawed human being Edition, April 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Egbert Souse posted:

I like how New World/Shout Factory and Troma are putting the majors to shame with their remasters. Not demo material, but they simply leave the source alone. It's so simple.

I watched the new version of Predator.

It looked like A Scanner Darkly.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

doctor thodt posted:

Go buy A Prophet on Blu-Ray. Now.

But there's no nudity in it.

The Flying Milton posted:

DVDBeaver review

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

doctor thodt posted:

Humanoids From the Deep reviewed. I don't know why I've never seen this, but based on those screenshots, it's clear I have to rectify this situation immediately.

It's so, so terrible. It's great.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Red posted:

Crystal Skull ... which is the weakest of the four films, yes, but not a terrible movie.

This. It's not a terrible movie.

It's the loving worst movie. Not of the Indy films. Not just of Spielberg's career. No. Of all the movies. Ever.

It's worse than Underground Comedy Movie. Or Epic Movie. It made me stop believing in the good of mankind. There is only a dead, bleak and unfeeling husk of what was once my soul after seeing Shia Labouef swinging on vines.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Yeah but it had 3d animals and a flying refrigerator, that has got to count for something right?

The vine-swinging and fridge-nuking made me long for the love scenes in Attack of the Clones.

(also, I blame the entirety of all the suffering the world has ever known on a cruel god punishing us, even preemptively, for allowing a film to have the rubber snake/quicksand gag that went on way longer than it should have)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Cameo posted:

(by the way, the intended audience for the Star Wars movies - kids! - love the prequels, so deal with it)

Know what else was a kid's movie? Toy Story, Wall-E, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Spongebob, Muppets Take Manhattan, etc.

And you know what? They were great. Just because a lovely director used a lovely excuse after people called his movie lovely doesn't mean it's above judgment.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you honestly think Crystal Skull is the worst movie ever. then you must watch one movie a year starting in 2008.

This is a dumb argument. Why can Crystal Skull NOT be someone's least liked movie, and why is the date of its release relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There is a difference between don't like and worst movie ever made but hey, let's not be reasonable when hyperbole works too.

Can you sleep better at night if you imagined I prefaced it with "in my opinion".

Or is it impossible to hold an opinion on a movie? Or worse, maybe use a dash of over-the-top hyperbole in mocking it? :ohdear:

• Locked thread