Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

FitFortDanga posted:

God, shut the hell up about Crystal Skull, you boring fucks.

I agree. We should be talking about the Indiana Jones trilogy.

(And Alien Resurrection, which has not received an appropriate amount of vitriol yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Return of the Living Dead

:thumbsup:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I paid $25 for Return of the Living Dead at Barnes and Noble because no one else had it on Friday! :argh:

e: Totally worth it. :allears:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Thanks to the GBS thread that scored me the free PRIME account, and this recent discussion, I have preordered a buttload of movies.

18 to be precise. :frogc00l:

e: do Amazon preorders ship on release date or before so you receive them on the release date?

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 23, 2010

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So if I understand right, the movie that's grainy and lovely to look like old 70's 42nd street exploitation has moderately good audio...

And these babies are collectively soiling their 60x30 cotton Dockers?

I loving hate nerds.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Nate RFB posted:

Alien: Theatrical Cut
Aliens: Theatrical Cut
Alien 3: Workprint / Extended Cut
Alien Resurrection: Who cares

100% agreement. Good god, these blurays are amazing. 1-3 have all been great. Now it's time to slam through some special features. I've got a lot of new blurays to watch, but I can't put this set down.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheScott2K posted:

I'd like to see something of similar proportion to CD cases. They wouldn't need such a ridiculously strong mechanism holding the disc in the case and you could fit more of them onto an adjustable-shelf bookcase. I know what you're thinking - "but the poster art would get screwed up!" Look at the BluRays on your shelf, and count the number of them that had great theatrical one-sheets that got thrown away in favor of three floating heads and some wide shot of a location or a building at the bottom. They're wasting the opportunity for tall cover art anyway, might as well make it more space-efficient.

This is so sadly true. I'm almost of a mind to just throw away the cases and keep the discs in my old 400-cd trapper keeper.

Bluray box art is loving terrible. Except for a few Digi-books and box sets.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Psycho :stare:

So this is, like, a remake, right? Not the original 50 year old movie, because, well, drat it looks good.

drat.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I picked up House.

This is the best movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

William Pahllace posted:

Where's the best place to get rid of DVDs/lame BDs for some cash money?

If you're in a real city, there's always a mom and pop store that trades books/movies/games.

Some electronics stores do trade.

SAMart is doable.

Amazon and Half.com are really unreliable.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As a rabid consumer of the streaming service, the $3 hike is okay with me if they keep expanding content like they have.

And considering BB is dying, and Redbox only stocks garbage, I'd go with Netflix and just buy the awesome poo poo they don't stock, like, say, the Alien set, which everyone should own.

It does suck they don't have BttF, though. After the spergelords had a convulsing shitfit over them, I'd like to rent before buying.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, I see through your bullshit, Barnes and Noble. 50% off Criterion and there's not one copy of Chungking Express, Kagemusha, Last Emperor, or any other movie I wanted.

The sale ended yesterday and those movies were pretty much spilling out all over the shelves.

Jerks. :mad:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

gently caress my job paying me biweekly. :smith:

Yep.

I paid off all kinds of bills and neglected to have a huge chunk of cash just ready to go for CYBER MONDAY.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The most impressive part is (thank you IMDb) she was in The Ruins (a mediocre horror flick) and a bunch of poo poo.

It would make more sense to have an Udo Kier section if you're going to dedicate a library shelf to an actor with a batting average of .025.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Help! Do I put "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" under "Johnny Depp" or "Tobey Maguire"?!

Edit: n/m. I bought two copies. Crisis averted.

:spergin:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The correct answer is "007" with the movies ordered by release date.

Except for the Roger Moore movies and Die Another Day. They can optionally be filed in The Crypt de Cinema Terrible next to the Resident Evil movies, Highlander 2, House of the Dead, Troll 2, and Shark Attack 3.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Brought this up on Facebook (bored at work). A friend hit me with "I put my blurays in a 400-CD zipper case and throw away the boxes. I don't have the space for shelves and don't care either."

I think I heard the sound of the Bluray forums posters' heads exploding. It was sweet music.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Twilight Zone Season 1

$48.99

Amazon

:woot:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
TRUE muthafuckin GRIT :clint:

Yeah, it's not as awe-inspiring as some of the blu-ray releases of westerns/old movies/etc. have been. But this is a big-rear end step up from the DVD. And $15 is a sweet price.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dear makers of Back to the Future packaging,

:argh:

- Tony Danza Claus

(yes, I'm late to the party. but holy poo poo.)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I throw out some of the slipcovers because Best Buy and Walmart use crazy glue on their stickers.

Are the Bluray Nazis going to throw me in Dischau for not going to a different store to get an immaculate slipcover?

:ohdear:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!

As soon as I'm done alphabetizing my movies by the last name of the cinematographer, I'm going to write a lengthy post about how your actions have decreased the monetary AND enjoyment value of your collection.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Apparently the El Mariachi/Desparado and OUaTiM blurays ended up not existing. Amazon sent me the "oops" email.

I preordered them for $13.99. You better get them in! :argh:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Any word on Star Trek movies?

Those original releases, I heard, were pretty bad. :ohdear:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I was pleasantly surprised when that came off. I mean, I get what they're going for with the on-the-shelf cover, but what's underneath is so sexy.

Just like the reversible There Will Be Blood cover.

Which more companies need to do. Have the giant floating heads over an explosion with critic blurbs on the outside, and sexy, delicious, reversible poster art inside.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah, what the hell? Tron: Legacy is loving awesome. Tron is, at best, a special feature to be included with the new movie. Kinda like how Frankenweenie is a feature on Edward Scissorhands, or that other thing came with that big movie.

:colbert:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Rules of Attraction comes out tuesday. :woop:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Picked up Hannibal, Rules of Attraction, Almost Famous, and Robocop 2.

I'm getting dangerously close to not having any DVDs in my library with all of these catalog titles rushing out lately.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Egbert Souse posted:

Wow, I need to sell my DVD. Tattered used copies are going for $40+

You should have seen my post in the CD Tron thread. People were unloading the DVD's for about $140 on eBay the week Legacy came out.

The loving UMD for Tron was selling at $60.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Not really anywhere else to put this:

Got Monsters on Bluray today, and it was surprisingly good. The mixed reviews had me worried, but Ebert pretty much never steers me wrong.

It's also pretty cheap $16.99 at Best Buy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I really want my Criterion Robocop bluray.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'll never get Red Dawn!

:argh:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You're all stupid dumb heads if you didn't jump on that Mel Brooks Collection sale.

This set is amazing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ultraviolence123 posted:

Scarface September 6th

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6070

gently caress. Yes.

This, Red Dawn, True Lies, Conan, and Once Upon a Time in the West have been my most-anticipated movies.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Why are they giving it a crappy goth look?

Why is the hair growing through the shirt?

Why is MJF a wax doll?

:psyduck:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Tron: Legacy
Taxi Driver
:siren: Peter Pan (2003 live action) :woop:
From Dusk til Dawn
The Neverending Story

This is the best bluray day in forever. :911:

The rest of the month will also feature Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Criterion, The Incredibles, and the Mortal Kombat movies. Happy April. :toot:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I want so badly to go in these people's homes and just rough up their movie collections. Nothing bad that would bother a normal person. Just put some scuffs on the paper, maybe crease the slip art. Stuff no sane person could notice.

And then lick the readable side of each disc.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Pull that flap off of Taxi Driver and throw it in the trash or I'll loving kill you and burn your goddamn house down.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

I just cut off the top part and tucked the list of extras into the flap with the other stuff. Is this acceptable or am I still subject to arson?

YOU'VE RUINED ITS VALUE!

YOU MAY AS WELL JUST NOT OWN THE MOVIE!

:spergin: :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Any word YET on the Bond movies?

(this post may be related to me buying a Walther PPK)

• Locked thread