Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

spe posted:

Is there any point in investing in a Blu-Ray player/PS3 if my tv is only 720p?

Yes. 720p is still much better than standard definition. And the PS3 upscales DVDs. I have a 720p set and a PS3 and am very happy.

As I understand it, the effective resolution of an hdtv is dependent on the size of screen and the viewing distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

We watched Revanche last night. Aside from being a beautiful film in just about every way, the BD looks fantastic.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Does anyone know if the US PS3 can play the David Attenborough version of Life?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

This one? Yes. This one? No.

This one? http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?r=1&x=&r=1&IF=N&EAN=883929099252

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

Yes, that is the US version. Any Blu-Ray released in the US should play on any US Blu-Ray player.

And drat, that's a great price.

Cool, thanks for the help.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Ultraviolet code for Fifth Element up for grabs.

3EFA BPV6 5CPP VCA3

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

BvS ultimate UV code: FQKY7T2GMHFH

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got four, including Woman in the Dunes. I hadn't realized they released it on BD. I hope I hope I hope they release Face of Another.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Labyrinth UV code: 340V GLT5 GMAX MHW8

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

Someone educate me. How is a BD-R different from a pressed BD, from a final product point of view? At the end of day, aren't they both just the same digital data written to a disc?

I assume it's a problem because not all players will play BD-R discs.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

The Grand Budapest Hotel digital code: 4NZQVEADYLZ2S2U2.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Binders 4 lyfe. Screw packaging; with over 200 films I don't have room for all that. I'm the worst, I know.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Heat ultra violet code: 4VHQSW5SWHFTLQP8.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I'm really hoping Criterion does BD releases of The Face of Another and Stranger than Paradise.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

They did Repo Man too.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

What gives with Amazon and Rogue One? It hasn't been available for pre-order and now it's only available from non-Amazon sellers.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I don't keep cases and I don't even have my discs organized in the folders. Chaos reigns.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

UV codes

Sicario X4XY6H9PP7PX (may be expired)
Evil Dead 2 QQ67WJY7CBQK

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Cool, I'm glad it still worked.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

The Invisible Man UV code: W3KXNE49WT6K

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Just let me enjoy my cartoons, please.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Shout! announced a bunch of titles at Comic Con (titles from CriterionForum.org):

Shout Select:
The Plague Dogs

Yesssssssssss

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Mimic UV code: 96CM47JJB3Q6

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Army of Shadows is a really good film.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Do they you know if they have Hour of the Wolf?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The Bergman film? Looks like MGM has let/is letting the licenses lapse on the Svensk Filmindustri films, so probably. MGM had the rights via United Artists for Persona, Hour of the Wolf, Shame, Passion of Anna, and The Serpent's Egg.

Thanks. According to this it hasn't been released on BD yet. http://www.blu-ray.com/Hour-of-the-Wolf/136549/#Releases Hopefully soon then.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I bet you people just toss the booklets too

I think all the essays are published on Criterion's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Boinks posted:

At least no one's admitted to tossing the cases and just keeping the discs in a binder

I do this. I have like 150 Criterion’s too. What up, bitches.

• Locked thread