Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Anyone know if Tron or Tron Legacy will be on sale anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This might be nitpicking, but for anyone interested in that Tron/Tron Legacy multi-disc set it's worth mentioning that the copy of the original Tron that's included is a DVD and not a Blu-ray.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

OGB posted:

Uh, what? Mine is a 3D copy of Tron Legacy, 2D copy of Tron Legacy, DVD copy of Tron Legacy, digital copy disc for Tron Legacy, and finally, a blu ray of the Original Tron.

Well then I'm glad to be wrong. I'd heard much griping about that set because the copy of the original Tron was a DVD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I think you may have thought backwards. I'm sure some spergs at blu-ray.com were mad that there wasn't a dvd of Tron along with their blu-ray of Tron.

Also, good to hear about Seven Samurai tomorrow.

Edit: Sporadic, your times were posted in PST right? Gotta watch for Seven Samurai at 11:30 if I'm EST right?

You're probably right. At any rate, I'm glad I made that post because I would have missed out on that deal. When I decided to buy a Blu-ray player the Tron movies were in my top three must have films. I was disappointed to find the blu-rays were price gouged, because apparently that's Disney's trademark.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

double post

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Taking a moment to divert from all the talk of Christmas-related blu-ray sales, does anyone know if there are plans to release The Bealtes Yellow Submarine on blu-ray?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

^^^I would love that, but there's no way in hell that would ever happen. And Let It Be hasn't been released on any video format since the late 80s.

codyclarke posted:

I remember hearing that the rights are all tied-up on that. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

I figured this was the case. I had the 99 reissue vhs which was in the proper aspect ratio unlike the DVD and then I left some dickhead borrow it who lost it. It's such a shame that anything involving video releases of Beatles movies is such a horrifying legal clusterfuck. Hopefully if they do actually do a blu-ray it'll include the proper 1:33 aspect ratio and original mono soundtrack but I'm guessing that's probably far too much to hope for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

^^^^Everyone knows that even numbered Die Hards and Robocop sequels are total poo poo!

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, 1.66:1 is the correct format. The 1987 VHS was fully open matte and has a ton of issues with unfinished cel edges where it would normally be cropped. The DVD is actually on Amazon and it's not a bootleg. Non-anamorphic, though.

IMDB does list the aspect ratio as 1:66.1, but I question the validity of that information. According to something I read most animated features of the era were 1:33.1. I have the DVD and the picture is very obviously cropped to be "widescreen". So in any case they hosed up the aspect ratio. This was a fairly common problem with DVDs produced in the late 90s/early 2000s. They would take a 4:3 transfer of the movie and put black bars on it to make it appear to be widescreen.

kaujot posted:

Am I a bad person for only liking Alien? :ohdear:

gently caress no. The first film is the best of the series by far. It always bothered me that most people like the second movie best, but it's easy to understand why. It's full of action and things going boom. I do happen to like the second movie a lot and have found myself to be one of those rare defenders of Alien 3 (my only major complaint is the painfully dated CG effects). But if someone said I could only ever see one of those movies again it would be Alien without any contest. Incidentally I notice the people who like the first movie best tend to be more serious about film. So I'm sure that your opinion (at least here) is in the majority.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 1, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm not putting down Aliens. I love the movie. I just like the first one a lot more. And I wasn't trying to insult anyone who prefers it, although I see how it comes off that way. What I meant is that it seems to be the more accessible film. And often times the people I meet who prefer it, it's because of the action and not much else. They tend not to be movie people and they always say the first movie is "kind of boring". CineD opinions tend to exist in a vacuum, so when I say stuff like that I'm typically refering to people in general. I understand pretty well why the crowd here praises it because I usually agree on those counts. Honestly it's unfair to compare them in most aspects because they're completely different movies, but that's a big part of what makes it interesting in the first place (and also not a unique observation, I know).

edit: Regardless, I still maintain that the first film is the superior film.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 2, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just discovered that the Cable Guy is now on Blu-ray. This is especially good news because the DVD was in 1:33. Sadly, Death Becomes Her still remains only available via a poorly transfered cropped DVD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Let me blow your mind by telling you that, on it, Jim Carrey did his first commentary with Ben Stiller & Judd Apatow...and it is AWESOME!

Congratulations, you did in fact blow my mind. I was exicted enough already because I was always seriously disappointed that the DVD is so crappy. I just recently got a Blu-ray player so I've been checking a lot to see what movies have made it to the format.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

This baffles me because the premium movie channels have a good HD copy of Death Becomes Her.

I know and it just pisses me off even more. The HD transfer they have for TV looks really nice. It's such a shame that everyone forgot this movie existed because I really do think it's something special.

Sporadic posted:

There is a ton of good stuff that only the premium movie channels have. MGM HD ran a ton of blaxploitation movies (Blacula, Foxy Brown, Coffy, Truck Turner)

Guess they don't think it is worth the price to press the discs.

This is another thing I sperg about. I loving love Blacula. There's probably never going to be a Blu-ray of it. This breaks my heart.

I'm so passionate about the strangest things.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 4, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

I can't think of a modern one.

And the price on it only dropped $1 :( What a lame deal.

Both versions of Dark City have commentary tracks by Roger Ebert.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Battle Royale is getting a US release from Starz/Anchor Bay on March 20.

Two versions. A standard release and "The Complete Collection". No details on what that means but I imagine that the complete collection is going to be like the UK release and the standard release will be only the movie and some extras.

This is awesome news. I looked up Blu-ray releases for this not too long ago and all that I found was a limited edition import that sells for way too much. I'm glad I can finally update my Korean DVD with the not so good subtitles.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Does anyone know if there are any features exclusive to the complete Star Wars blu-ray set? I kind of want to get the original movies if the price drops to the $30-range, but if there's any decent documentary stuff exclusive to the set of all six I'll wait for the price on that one to drop.

It includes hacked up ruined versions of the original classics* and some deleted scenes.

*Yes I'm still bitter.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

12 Angry Men, The Rules Of The Game, Kuroneko and The Killing dropped to $21.49 each on Amazon.

12 Angry Men = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005HK13P4
The Rules Of The Game = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005HK13OK
Kuroneko = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005D0RDRA
The Killing = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005152C78

Carlos also dropped to $26.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0056ANHP4

I've been pretty hyped about the Killing Blu-ray and I just discovered that it's in the wrong aspect ratio. What's up with that?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

Uh, no it isn't. It was shot in Academy ratio but shown theatrically at 1.66.

Alright then. I guess that's where I got confused about this. I checked up on this because someone somewhere bitched about that. IMDB said the film was in the academy ratio and amazon says the disc is in 1.77.1. I thought it odd that Criterion would gently caress that up, so that's why I asked here. Thanks again, goons.

edit: Also, are these prices part of some special sale or are they going to be there indefinitely?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 26, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You didn't instantly think of the exact device he described being used by Marty's daughther in Back to the Future II? For shame!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

I can't see a visor solution being something that would catch on. People don't want to wear a device on their face that only tricks your eyes into thinking they are seeing a big screen. 100 inches of tv in most homes would be obnoxious. Yes it might fit in the room MAYBE, but it would look terrible in a room not made for that size tv. Even 60 inch tvs are really pushing it sometimes depending on the room.

This is pretty much the entire reaon those "Virtual Reality" arcade games in the 90s never caught on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I wouldn't normally get the word out about anything involving Best Buy, because gently caress them. However I spotted a really good deal in their sunday flyer. They're selling Louie season 1 for $9.99. It's marked as a DVD, but all copies of this are DVD/Blu-ray combo discs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Amazing deal. I hope Amazon matches that. My nearest Best Buy is almost a hour away.

I know, I paid 30 bucks for that a few weeks back and thought that was a deal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

fenix down posted:

I know dozens of people who have HDTVs and still don't care about HD. They watch 480 and get confused when I try to explain (so I don't try).

I've found that your average person largely doesn't give a poo poo about any of this stuff and that a lot of people who've adopted the blu-ray format just did so because "it's the new thing".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone here have the Darkman blu-ray? I wanted to know if they did a good job with it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caiman posted:

Apparently they didn't.

That's incredibly disappointing. What exactly is the reason for this DNR bullshit? Is it just because they think the consumer won't think it looks "high def" enough without it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's exactly it. Grain = Film dirt in their minds.

What an ugly transfer, they'll say about a naturally grainy movie. DNR is applied. We weep.

Between this and finding out what was done to the French Connection, this has been a sad day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Darkman could look a whole lot better, but for something you can get a BR/DVD combo of for like $8 at Wal-Mart, it's worth grabbing.

The price of the disc isn't the issue here. It's the fact that they defaced the film and ruined the aesthetic. Especially when they could have made it look the best it ever has. It's kind of annoying they do this in the name of pleasing consumers who have no idea what they're talking about.

Also, removing the yellowish filter from Do the Right Thing is just a loving travesty.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

It's kind of sickening how lovely the packaging for the blu ray is when the dvd packaging has really nice cases and disc art.

I could deal with lovely packaging if the publishers respected the material enough not to ruin it when they transfer it to Blu-ray.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm still angry.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre is coming back into print from Warner.

The previous release was by Dark Sky Films. If you have a copy, I would suggest holding on to it. It's very possible that the demand for it will shoot way up if Warner botches their release.

Did Dark Sky put out a Blu-ray for that or just a DVD? I've got the DVD version and it looks really good, I can't imagine how great that remaster it would look on Blu-ray. And what's the deal with Warner? Do they have a reputation for loving up releases?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Dark Sky put out a Blu-Ray (and I have a first run copy with metallic cover paper :swoon: ).

I phrased that wrong. It's not that Warner has a reputation for loving up releases (actually the opposite, they do a pretty good job most of the time), it's more like can Warner match/beat the current release. Dark Sky did a great job with their release and it has a ton of extras (2 commentaries, 2 full-length documentaries, a few interviews). If Warner doesn't match the extras Dark Sky has on their release and/or has a subpar transfer, I could see the Dark Sky edition become in demand.

What's the release date on this?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Sorry for the double post.

Yesterday, Paramount announced four more upcoming catalog titles. What's the flipside to Wings, Love Story, To Catch a Thief and Chinatown?

Clueless (May 1)
Hondo (June 1)
Barbarella (July 3)
Clue (August 7)

Weird, weird (but welcomed) choices.

Clue and Clueless are already up for preorder at Amazon for $15.99 (so are Hondo and Barbarella but at $17.49 and $20.49, which isn't anything to write home about)

Clue = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006YZOXLW
Clueless = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006YZOWAE

Barbarella on blu-ray? I'll take it!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

For those on the fence about Wings,
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wings-Blu-ray/33615/#Screenshots

Yes... the first DVD was non-anamorphic and poorly authored, the remaster was interlaced.

MGM generally has an excellent track record for catalog titles, except for occasional hiccups like The Greatest Story Ever Told and Robocop.

Is the current Robocop blu-ray lovely or was that a previous edition?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

From what I can find, there has only been one edition plus a box set with the sequels. I recall it being heavily filtered, but this Blu-Ray.com review indicates it's quite good despite leaving off all the extras from the DVD.

This is actually the version I was wondering about. There was a previous Robocop Blu-ray that apparently went out of print quickly because it had a lovely transfer. I just wanted to make sure those issues didn't carry over to this one because I plan on buying it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

foodfight posted:

I've got a question regarding blu-rays and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to ask it "correctly", but I'm going to try anyways.

Relative to DVD, are we going to see fewer titles released in the Blu-Ray format as time goes on? I can see that there will always be a demand for physical media but with availability of many titles on both DVD and streaming services, will there be the need or demand to release them on Blu-Ray?

I'm asking specifically about a handful of horror and sci-fi titles that I love that while I'm not really expecting a hd restoration of them, it would be nice to eventually own them on Blu, especially as they go out of print on DVD.

It's entirely possible. When DVD became the main video format they only ever released something like 25% of all the titles that had made it to VHS. If you're waiting on a bunch of obscure horror titles I'd recommend just getting the DVDs if they're that dear to you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is there any word on when they're going to put Rear Window on Blu-ray?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

I think anything is possible at this point. It seems that studios are willing to release anything with an HD master regardless of quality. Costs are going down and more people are getting players.

There's so many surprising releases every month that I would just be prepared to go either way. Who would have thought we'd have a fully restored Manos: The Hands of Fate on Blu-Ray?

Yeah, as a sort of counterpoint to what I said earlier, there is a blu-ray release of Troll 2.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Phantom Goat posted:

I agree with what you say, but it's pretty much going to be of varying quality. For example, I would've be surprised if I saw a blu of "Chopping Mall" sometime, but ast the same time, I'm sure it would be the same old recycled VHS transfer that we were given on DVD. Some movies just won't ever get proper treatment.

I would kill a man for a properly done blu-ray of Chopping Mall.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know anything about the Akira blu-ray? I haven't seen the movie in years and I was just thinking about it so I looked up the blu-ray and it is out of print. I thought this was odd considering that it only came out in 2009. Was there something wrong with it? And are there plans to reissue it. I'd like to know that before paying a stupid price for it (well, also if it's even worth having because I still have the DVD edition). If done well I'd imagine that it looks great on blu-ray.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Daveski posted:

I've got it and I think it looks pretty drat good, and DVDTalk gave it a positive review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36318/akira/

Couldn't tell you why it's out of print, but if you like the movie I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

EDIT: drat, it's going for over $80 used on amazon... Probably not worth that much. I would assume it will get a reissue at some point.

I'm seeing it in some places for 30-50. There's no way I'd pay more than that for a blu-ray. I thought it was strange that it was out of print, especially since it was issued so recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

fenix down posted:

I've never seen it below $35. It's one of my favorite movies so I got it anyway, and I'd say it was worth it. The picture quality is excellent, and the Japanese audio sounds better than the DVD. One drawback is that the special features are basically nonexistent. Also it regretfully doesn't have the English dub from the VHS.

But I still have the 2-disc DVD set with plenty of special features so it's all good.

Are people still up in arms about the original English dub? I managed to find a copy of the VHS at a thrift store a few years back so I'm convered if I ever want to see that version again, but I had no idea until recently that it was such a touchy subject. From what I've heard the English dub from 99 was a much better translation. I remember when I first saw the newer version I noticed it was changed, but I was always fairly indifferent about it.

• Locked thread