Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

fenix down posted:

I'm not, but I assume some people are (on the internet). It would just be fun, that's all. I have a VHS copy, but it's blurry enough to offset any nostalgic factor the old audio could provide.

Yeah I haven't ever felt like watching it, so I have no idea how it looks. I just figured that for a dollar it was worth having specifically because it's an alternate version of the movie. The internet being the way it is, there's probably someone who made a "fan edit" that adds the original English dialogue to the restored version of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

And the original dub of Akira is great because everyone sounds like a ninja turtle. It's the only one I've ever seen, and I've only seen it twice--that has to grant it some kind of status making it historically significant enough to preserve on a home video release.

This is no coincidence. That version of the movie is famous for having some of the Ninja Turltes voice actors doing the voiceover work.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's too bad DNR falls under the category of "poo poo the average consumer doesn't know or care about". I still don't understand why this would be standard practice for video releases. It's deliberately defacing the movies they're putting out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know what's on the 4 disc Battle Royale other than the movie and its sequel? I'm not at all interested in Battle Royale 2, but I was wondering if the set includes both versions of the first movie. Amazon's listing says nothing about this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I forgot to ask this outright, does this mean the standard edition blu-ray doesn;t have both versions of Battle Royale. I've never actually seen the original theatrical cut, but I heard some folks here say it's the superior version.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So which version is better?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Theatrical. The "DC", for the most part, is just added flashbacks to a school basketball game that really slow the film down. Also, the added "requiem" ending is needless. Granted, when I saw that scene, it was so poorly translated that I had to infer what was going on through body language... which is impossible with Takeshi Kitano. I say don't bother.

I've already bothered many times. I've only ever seen the "Special Version" (I own the Korean all region DVD). Basically I was wondering if it was worth paying double to get both of them. I knew which scenes were added and I never thought it bogged down the movie. I always thought it gave a nice little background on the characters. But then again I never did see the movuie without that. I just remember, way back when I was getting the DVD that's the version people told me to grab and that's which one was loaned to me when I first saw the movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I picked up the Silence of the Lambs Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack because I saw it for eight bucks today. Just to be sure it's good I looked up the Blu-Ray.com review and they seem to have a favorable review for the stand alone Blu-Ray, but not the combo pack. I'd assume it's the same transfer on both discs, but does anyone here know for sure?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Shadley Puffin posted:

After this and with Apocalypse Now back in its OAR, maybe we'll see other questionable releases revisited - Patton without wax. A Univisium-less Last Emperor. Widescreen Colossus: The Forbin Project. Tideland in Gilliam's preferred odd ratio. Peace, love, understanding and natural film grain.

A Do the Right Thing where they've done the right thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

OGB posted:

my Oppo BD-83,

I wish I had money.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I wouldn't normally advertise FYE because they've always set the gold standard in overpriced poo poo. But for some reason my local store has a whole bunch of Blu-rays for ten dollars or less(and a good selection, no less). Many of them even beat the amazon prices. There's a bunch of copies of Evil Dead for ten bucks, for example. They also have copies of Battle Royale out already. I don't know if all stores will have the same pricing but if you have one in your area it's worth taking a look.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

DVD Beaver put up a link for a May 28th release for Yellow Submarine... on Amazon UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0079J28NW/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-21&link_code=as2&creativeASIN=B0079J28NW&creative=3

Much as I hate to say it, I think it's safe call bullshit on this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

From Coupons

:siren:
:siren:

Just ordered mine :)

Lame. I already bought the single disc version because I didn't want to shell out the extra money. This is only a dollar more than I paid. I did get it before everyone else, so I guess there's that.

Disappointed Owl posted:

This one's region locked right?

I've heard bad things about the UK release's PQ.

Yeah, it's region one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Another :siren: moment.

It looks like Yellow Submarine is getting a US release.

May 29, 2012 - Amazon already has a preorder up for $17.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0079J28NW

Are there any other details about this elsewhere?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, I'm really skeptical of this because the Amazon listing is the only source of information I can find about it anywhere.

Not only that, but Beatles releases of any sort are always a clusterfuck of legal red tape. And they're also very heavily advertised and create lots of buzz months before hand. I've heard no mention of this anywhere and if it was happening in May they would have been hyping it for months now. I'll only believe it when I'm holding the blu-ray in my hands. Here's to hoping that if it does happen, they don't gently caress it up and give the soundtrack a godawful remix.

Cacator posted:

Just thought I'd mention that both The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher version) and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy are released tomorrow and are both plentiful in the special features department (commentaries on both!). I am a happy little girl.

Nevermind that, the mother loving Muppets blu-ray is coming.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

(crossposted from Beatles thread)

Well hot drat, it's official!!!

http://www.thebeatles.com/#/news/Yellow_Submarine_Feature_Film

Here's to hoping they don't gently caress up the sound. I'm still really bitter about the Hard Day's Night DVD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

It was remixed for 5.1 for the 1998 re-release by Apple Corps, using the multitrack masters for songs and George Martin's score, plus the isolated dialogue and effects tracks. AHDN was just the restored mono mix pushed through faux stereo filters. Not sure why it even needs a 5.1 track since it's inappropriate to the feel of the film.

I know, I'm really hoping they'd have the mono mix included for Yellow Submarine. They're really just reusing the audio from the 1999 release? I would have figured they'd have an all new remaster. Especially considering all the original material they've unearthed in the last few years.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The 5.1 remix was state-of-the-art at the time, down to being edited digitally. They shouldn't have to re-do anything. The tech specs indicate the original mono mix is included and the remix is DTS 5.1. Although, I'm surprised it's not DTS-HDMA or PCM 5.1 unless the specs are incomplete.

Works for me. Now let's hope they get around to reissuing Let It Be(never going to happen).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Coming in 2013.

Probably is going to be a new cut, which isn't a big deal. The existing film is an unfocused mess. The best parts, including the controversial bits, all ended up in the Anthology miniseries anyways.

I know I kind of already ate my words on Yellow Submarine, but I'll believe it when I see it. The big difference here is that Let It Be has been out of print for over 20 years. But once again I'd gladly accept being wrong about this. Here's to hoping they don't cut out any of the rooftop concert or the in studio performance of Let It Be.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What do the Disney points do? I rarely buy anything from Disney, but I got the Muppets yesterday and I noticed it had a flyer with that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

You can use them to enter contests on the Disney site, or buy things for ridiculous amounts of them like art prints, posters, statues, etc.

They also do other promotions sometimes, like when The Muppets was out in theaters, if you bought a Muppet DVD and registered it you got a free ticket to see The Muppets.

So they're like Marlboro Miles for cat ladies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Are there any plans to release the first Jurassic Park as a stand alone blu-ray? I prefer not to own the sequels.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why are Star Trek seasons on bluray/dvd always so insanely expensive when compared to other series?

I'm not sure if this is the case with Star Trek but sometimes a video release of a tv show is expensive because of the cost of certain rights the publisher had to buy. When Freaks and Geeks came to DVD it was originally stupid expensive because of the music rights.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hatter106 posted:

Just watched Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics On Demand. While it's a decent documentary, I was somewhat bothered by the fact that WB apparently has gorgeous HD masters of the Fleischer Superman cartoons and the Linda Carter Wonder Woman series, yet DVDs are all we've been given. Hell, even the documentary itself isn't available on Blu.

You don't want to know how much I'll pay for HD Superman cartoons, WB. Take my money :(

Normally I'd be inclined to think that they're not doing it because it's a niche market thing. But this is loving Superman, it practically sells itself.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Singin' in the Rain pre-order is up

A mini-umbrella, seriously? As usual, I'll be waiting for the "no ridiculous bullshit" edition.

I've been wondering lately, why has this become a thing? Are there actually people who honestly prefer to pay 5-20 bucks extra from some lovely knick-knack? These things really add nothing to the purchase.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'd pay extra for the snow globe the special edition of Fargo included way back when. It was of the wood chipper and half the snow was red. I'm not sure when it came out, but the family friend who had it got it with her VHS copy, so awhile ago.

I remember this very well. Around the same time they were selling one for Halloween as well. Although it's far less interesting because the concept doesn't work as well.

The pHo posted:

You can't possibly be referring to the 3" plastic sword that came with the Kill Bill Vol. 1 box set I paid $150 for...

Yeah, you probably are. The sad thing is, if I see a Vol. 2 box set anywhere for $80 or less I'd still buy it to match.

Why would you do this?

Sporadic posted:

Yellow Submarine preorder is back down to $16.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0079J28NW

And they even had the decency to include the original mono soundtrack.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 17, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

$8 off. And yeah, ridiculous Disney bluray prices.

Is there any particular reason their videos are so expensive or is it just "We're Disney, gently caress you!"?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Who is it that's preventing a Blacula Blu-ray from existing so I can direct my rage at them?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You know what needs a blu-ray release? Death Becomes Her. It's got Bruce Willis playing way against type, Meryl Streep chewing up the scenery as his horrible wife, a great whacky premise, and oscar winning visual effects that were pretty ahead of their time (and still hold up). Plus it's just plain hilarious. The most recent video release this got was a lovely fullscreen DVD with a mediocre picture. And once again there exists a nice HD transfer that they just don't bother releasing on blu-ray. It really is a shamefully overlooked movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

I watched this on Starz like half a year ago, and I really loved it. It was such an odd movie, but like you said, it's genuinely hilarious. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, though. It's very odd.

It's just weird to me how it was so easily forgotten despite that it was a big hit movie, it has A-list stars, and groundbreaking visual effects. One would think that would have been better remembered. But I guess you're right about it being weird. But that's why I love it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

"MediumRare Entertainment have announced the UK home entertainment release of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie on 11 June 2012. The big screen version of the comedy sci-fi TV series comes to DVD and Blu-ray with extras including a making-of, trailer and stills gallery."

Goddammit, deleted scenes: YES or NO! :argh:

Will this be a region free disc?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

The Coen Brothers Collection on Amazon dropped down to $19.99 - That's $5 a movie (Blood Simple/Fargo/Miller's Crossing/Raising Arizona) .

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why they excluded Barton Fink from this set?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

DVDBeaver confirms Yellow Submarine has DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 and LPCM stereo tracks. The music only track is PCM stereo.

Are they going to include the original mono sound? Because I'd heard that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Worth a double post, Breaking Bad Season 4 preorder is only $24.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0058YPG2K

If you want the rest, the best deal is at Best Buy

Season 1 - $12.99 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Breakin...20bad&lp=4&cp=1
Season 2 - $17.99 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Breakin...20bad&lp=5&cp=1
Season 3 - $17.99 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Breakin...4&CJPID=3594900

Do you happen to know if Best Buy has these deals in their stores as well?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

Even if they don't, you could always do a store pickup on those orders.

We may not have flying cars but living in the future is still pretty cool. Thanks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

This might seem a silly question, but I'm watching the Evil Dead 2 blu ray, and I'm wondering if the noise(grain?) is natural or artificial? Most movies I watch, the noise seems to move naturally with the characters, but this seems like the characters are moving through the noise. It's not every scene, but the bridge scene in the beginning is noticeable.

Or am I just being crazy?

Which blu-ray do you have? The first Evil Dead 2 blu-ray is said to be pretty craptacular. Apparently the more recent one (25th anniversay edition) is better.

Speaking of Evil Dead and blu-ray, do you have the first Evil Dead on blu-ray? Because that one has some proper loving film grain. It's a great transfer and probably the best the movie has ever looked. Plus it contains the original 1:37 frame. It's prime example of how a blu-ray should be done.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 17, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

It's not the Dead by Dawn edition. Just Evil Dead 2. That's a shame, I was really looking forward to it too. Well, at least Dawn of the Dead was alright and got me my zombie fix for the night. (and if it wasn't, I wasn't paying enough attention)

Well Evil Dead 2 is still Evil Dead 2.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

I wasn't expecting miracles. Just something better than what I got. I mean, the Street Fighter Blu Ray seemed good, but this?

Well if you consider it a must have the 25th Anniversary Edition of Evil Dead 2 is only 7.99 on Amazon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

codyclarke posted:

I'm very reluctant to buy any of the Evil Dead movies on blu-ray just yet, being that there were so many DVD releases of each, and I have a feeling the same will happen with blu-ray.

The Blu-ray for the first Evil Dead is as good as it gets. I highly recommend it. It's not only a good release for the movie, but a great example of the advatages of the format. There may be future releases but the current Anchor Bay release is definitive. Seriously, go to Blu-ray.com and look at the screen caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sklyansky posted:

I'll probably pick it up if the price is more reasonable than that MSRP, since my sister and her husband bogarted my DVDs. Hope other shows get the Blu Ray treatment down the line too. Would love to see the X-Files on Blu Ray.

I'm not sure how good the X-Files would look on blu-ray. I'm not 100% on this but I think those were shot on video tape. At least the early seasons. I just picked up seasons 1-3 on DVD and they look pretty rough. They clearly did no remastering for DVD.

• Locked thread